Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 12:21   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Possibility of homebuilt plywood modern dinghy

I have no experience or expertise with building plywood boats, or building an wooden boats, or building any other type of boats, but I've seen some pretty incredible home built plywood boats online. As far as dinghies, the only wooden dinghies I've found are more traditionally styled sailing or rowing dinghies.

There's been a spate of pretty appealing modern hard dinghies in the last few years, the original being OC Tenders, followed up by ASTenders, and now UP Boats and Aspen Carbon Cats. Also a pretty cool looking aluminum tender from Godu boats.

The problem is that all of these come at a pretty hefty price, around twice the price of most aluminum RIBs.

Looking at the shape of most of them (the Aspen Carbon Cat might be too convoluted), it seems like a very similar boat could be built out of glass sheathed plywood. Obviously there would be a weight penalty, probably as much as twice the weight vs a carbon build, but I imagine that one could be built for less than a quarter the price.

I'm just curious what you guys think the viability of such a dinghy build would be, assuming someone could design some plans for one.
Muaddib1116 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:23   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Possibility of homebuilt plywood modern dinghy

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it. It could be done in foam cored glass as well. Depending on the hull shape you're targeting, foam core might be easier to work with (and could possibly be made lighter than plywood).

I've given some thought to a DIY dinghy build along those lines, just haven't actually done it.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:38   #3

That's what I've been thinking. If somebody put together some plans with templates for plywood/foam cutouts, I feel like it would be a fun project with a pretty useful end product.
Old Today, 13:18   #4

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

I went so far as to buy some marine plywood for a dinghy, then ran out of time to build the dinghy for this season. The time was spent on other boating activities so I am not considering it a great loss.

Super simple:
https://hvartial.kapsi.fi/dinghy1/simboii.htm

A favorite:

Another possible contender, met the designer this summer:
https://www.chase-small-craft.com/calico-skiff
Old Today, 13:28   #5

Yeah, those seem to be pretty close to everything I've found so far, traditional sailing dinghies. I feel like a pretty good cruising dinghy could be built with similar techniques, just nobody has put together plans for one. Maybe I'm way off, but I feel like a good 10-12ft dinghy with similar capabilities to one of these modern hard dinghies could be built for less than a couple thousand dollars, if you were willing to put in the time and had the skills. There's so much criticism about how expensive good RIBs are, and even more about how much these modern hard dinghies cost, that I'm surprised that nobody has tried a diy version.
Old Today, 13:59   #6

I looked at the examples you listed of "modern" dinghies and they seem to be made with some pretty complex hull forms. These are not designs that lend themselves to DIY plywood boatbuilding, at least for most people.

Not saying it can't be done, but production techniques that utilize molds allow mass reproduction. Building and fairing complicated shapes like that is a very laborious and time consuming process. Also, using plywood instead of solid carbon fiber/foam will increase the weight substantially, affecting the "performance" they are touting.

There's probably a middle ground to be had somewhere, but most people (like yourself) aren't boat builders and are better off sticking with simpler designs, at least for a first project. Even simpler shapes can be a good bit of work for novices.

What specific capabilities do these modern designs have that are most important to you? If you can identify those aspects of the design, maybe you can find a simpler design that will suffice.

By the time you buy the materials and put in the hours to build even a simple boat of similar quality, you might consider the cost of one of these very reasonable.

The old design mantra of picking two of Time, Money, or Quality comes to mind.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:13   #7

All true, but to be fair, the example you picked, the Aspen Carbon Cat, is the most convoluted hull shape by far, which I mentioned earlier. The OCTender and ASTender and UP Boats are much simpler hull shapes. They don't look any more complicated than most of the home built sailing dinghy designs I've seen.

Old Today, 14:28   #8

Here ya go:

https://www.spiriteddesigns.com.au/ripple_tenders1

and you'll be able to brag you have a Schionning cat
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I built my first dink out of plywood.
See attached.
Very simple to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4349 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	293581  
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:07   #10

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Dynamite Payson (H.H. Payson and Co.) has plans for boats that may fit your needs. I've built a few of his skiffs designed by Phil Bolger and they were very competent boats. He'll provide plans plus patterns for some boats.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfree View Post
Here ya go:

https://www.spiriteddesigns.com.au/ripple_tenders1

and you'll be able to brag you have a Schionning cat
Oh, that looks pretty great! This design house is connected to Schionning?

The 3.6 looks the most interesting. Very narrow though, almost 2ft less width than the aspen carbon cat T11 or UP 340 or a Highfield CL340. I'm guessing you could request some custom changes though.

Tags
dinghy, plywood, wood