Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 12:43   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: pram, dory, portabote, WB, skiff, susan, whaler, boston........

Here's a simple tip for boarding a Porta Bote from the water. Keep one of those cheap 3.5' boogie boards in your dinghy. When you want to board from the water shove the wider aft end of the boogie board under the hard chine of the Porta Bote leaving a portion of the boogie board sticking out. As you pry down on the gunnel of the PB to lift yourself aboard use your knee on the boogie board to leverage yourself into the dinghy. The foam board adds floatation to the boarding side and no water enters to dinghy.

Depending on your weight, you can experiment with placement of the boogie board and wether you need to put any of your own weight on the boogie board.
Old 19-02-2015, 13:04   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
It planes with my wife and I aboard but I've never really checked Im guessing about 15 mph.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
That is a real good guess. Did some sapped trials a couple years back on our 14 footer. The 6hp ran around 16 with me and the kids. Then I tried the 15hp would do 18 plus with the kids wife fishing gear lunch umbrells all kind of crap. Speed at maybe 3/4 throttle, took it out solo and hit 22 before I decided they don't really want to go that fast. We get. 12 or so at full load with the 6hp. Both motors are old two strokes, I'm going to try a 8hp two stroke this summer.
Think I can get the speed of the 3/4 throttle 15hp with the weight of the 6hp.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 14:28   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have no stock in the company but you might check the boats that Sea Eagle makes. They have one I think that is an inflatable catamaran thing that seems to row well and takes an outboard. It should be stable to get in and out of and should hold the weight you mention.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 20:26   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Here's a simple tip for boarding a Porta Bote from the water. Keep one of those cheap 3.5' boogie boards in your dinghy. When you want to board from the water shove the wider aft end of the boogie board under the hard chine of the Porta Bote leaving a portion of the boogie board sticking out. As you pry down on the gunnel of the PB to lift yourself aboard use your knee on the boogie board to leverage yourself into the dinghy. The foam board adds floatation to the boarding side and no water enters to dinghy.

Depending on your weight, you can experiment with placement of the boogie board and wether you need to put any of your own weight on the boogie board.
The boogie board is a great idea. I'll have to try that. They show a ladder on the PB website that mounts on the bow. With an outboard on back, that might be another possibility.
Mine mounts nicely on Garhaur kayak racks.
By the way...you can see my Livingston 7.5 that the PB is replacing. great dinghy but a hassle looking forward underway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portabote2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	97467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portabote1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	97468  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 20:45   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 03:04   #21

Boat: 2004, Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Good, I was thinking of something like that, maybe a fender or 2 tied from under the PB to the other side.

No used PB in my area, but only leaving next fall, so there is time to find one....and sell the idea to the admiral!

Thanks for your comments and tips.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:38   #22

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
I will take a picture soon but its simple. Get a small one of these.
Attachment 97413
I think ours is a 5/8 inch plug.
Drill a hole to match the drain plug then insert drain plug in said hole tighten then lock. Ours is on the port side very low and just forward of the transom. We made up lifting bars and hang the boat in the davits slightly stern low to facilitate draining.

ShaktisBoy,

Where did you source this drain plug? Looking at Attwoods's site they seem to be 1". Did you install any type of receiver or just plug it in the hole?

I'm looking for any write ups on this because I need to install one.

Thanks,
SC

sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 13:15   #23

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

On our last cruise south from Canada , we used a Joel White "Shellback" for everything, diving , rowing, exploring and the 2 hp pushed us along at 5 or so kts. We had a new 10' Avon with 8 hp, just never used it much.
We are looking as well for a good all around boat and like the looks of the Mandy skiff or the Jessy. The Jesse looks easy to build and has a good performance under oar and power. Jessy

Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 14:19   #24

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Sorry for the slow response. I can find that plug at my local walmart. There is no sleeve necessary just tighten it up and fl the leverClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1430600599.146977.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	101333. Yes I know the dink is a little dirty. Its actually 21 years old now and still rugged as ever. Here is another shot of the PB on davitsClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1430601526.859132.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	101334

ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 15:40   #25

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Sorry for the slow response. I can find that plug at my local walmart. There is no sleeve necessary just tighten it up and fl the leverAttachment 101333. Yes I know the dink is a little dirty. Its actually 21 years old now and still rugged as ever. Here is another shot of the PB on davitsAttachment 101334

Thanks! I can't say I've ever looked for drain plugs in Walmart but will check next time I pass one. I'm tired of a dink full of water.

Mine has the new folding transom I want to beef up a little. It's probably fine but it flexes a little too much for me.
SC

sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 19:10   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Since you don't mind building a dinghy, Danny Greene's Chameleon is the only dinghy that fits all of your criteria, and it can even be stored nested instead of on davits. Read the article about it in Good Old Boat.

The PB certainly doesn't fit in the category of "attractive," nor can it be sailed.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:53   #27

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Agree that its not as pretty as some dinghy's but it can be sailed. Here are a few examples of nice looking PBs including a sailing version. Keep in mind in our PBs21 year life it has yet to go flat. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1430653976.750067.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	101353Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1430654020.617979.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	101354

ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote