Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2024, 23:42   #1

PVC inflatable tubes going sticky from UV exposure - how to clean?

So this is my fourth PVC dink (this one a Tacacat catamaran, supposed to be made of the better quality German PVC), that "goes sticky" at about third year of constant exposure... and in the not-so-sunny Pacific NW. Don't give me grief about not providing a protective cover; very difficult to attach one as the dink lives on davits. In the past I have had some luck removing the sticky top layer with all its embedded grime, by wiping down with acetone on paper towels, changing out towel as soon as it has become full of the sticky grime... I fear this does thin down the PVC that was originally impregnated into the fabric... but doesn't seem to destroy the fabric. Does anyone have a better cleaning and de-stickying process / product?
Wayne Gilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 01:21   #2

Re: PVC inflatable tubes going sticky from UV exposure - how to clean?

Oops an error in my first post in this thread... Takacat does not use the German PVC, only a "UV-stabilized fabric" with glued seams. It's the similar--design TrueKit catamaran inflatables that use the highly-regarded German Valmex PVC with heat-welded seams.
Wayne Gilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 03:29   #3

Boat: Hunter 340

Following....
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:54   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

This will happen again and again and again until you give in and buy a hypalon dinghy.

It can’t be cleaned, UV has deteriorated the material which is permanently damaged. It needs to be replaced.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:20   #5

The “sticky” are the plasticizer chemicals the are added to the inherently brittle PVC to make it flexible. Over time they migrate to the surface, especially in sun and heat. It is inherent, and nothing you can do to stop it. As the plasticizers leave, the remaining PVC becomes brittle, and eventually cracks and is not repairable. Even for the “highly regarded” (I.e., well marketed) German PVC.

Wiping PVC with acetone is actually making things worse. Acetone is an excellent solvent for PVC itself.

In an exposed environment 3 years is a normal lifespan for flexible PVC. Your choice to make is if the cheaper upfront cost compared to hypalon is worth the much shorter lifespan. Most people think not.

The are only two reasons to make a dinghy out of PVC. Cost or design needs. PVC is more flexible a tolerant of being folded, so is better suited to folding dinghy designs. Most PVC dinghies are not folding designs, so the ONLY reason is cost. No matter what the manufacturer says.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:56   #6

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

hello; depending on the size of the sticky area you might consider buying some new pvc material and glue it over the affected area. if that is not an option start looking for a new hypalon alternative dinghy. good luck!
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 14:41   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wayne,

A poster here named Franziska has been trying to rescue a PVC dinghy, I'd suggest you send her a PM asking for the link to that thread. I wasn't able to find it myself.

However, as best I recall it, was that they fixed up the dinghy, gave it a jazzy red paint job, and within a year, the pvc plasticizers were ooking out again. I believe Sailing Harmonie is correct that once it starts to go, replacement is the cure. But there are many kinds of dinghies out there, and maybe it is time for a different approach for you.
For example, Mike OReilly is fond of his FoldABoat, people down here have grp over plywood dinghies, some people use hard plastic dinghies, there's even a thread about non-inflatable dinghies: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...bs-283448.html

Good luck with it. The easiest is to replace it with a hypalon dinghy.

Ann
Old 05-07-2024, 16:14   #8

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Two things. Our Southern Pacific PVC dinghy lived for 15 years, possibly because I followed the advice of the dealer I bought it from. I applied 202 protectant to it twice a year and kept it covered when not in use (chaps in the water and a cover when on deck). Seven of those 15 years were in La Paz, Southern Baja, where the sun destroys everything.

The ooze from some kinds of plastic can be removed and the item made useable again using Goobegone orange. Our boat was stuck in Tahiti for 2 years during the pandemic and everything plastic or plasticized rubber was gooey and/or cracking. I restored many, but not all, fenders, a handheld radio and similar items that were sticky to touch. Some fenders did not respond perfectly to the treatment so they now wear a cloth fender cover. Once back in a temperate environment the ooze has stopped. Your experience may vary.
Old 05-07-2024, 16:39   #9

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
The “sticky” are the plasticizer chemicals the are added to the inherently brittle PVC to make it flexible. Over time they migrate to the surface, especially in sun and heat. It is inherent, and nothing you can do to stop it. As the plasticizers leave, the remaining PVC becomes brittle, and eventually cracks and is not repairable. Even for the “highly regarded” (I.e., well marketed) German PVC.

Wipingw PVC with acetone is actually making things worse. Acetone is an excellent solvent for PVC itself.

In an exposed environment 3 years is a normal lifespan for flexible PVC. Your choice to make is if the cheaper upfront cost compared to hypalon is worth the much shorter lifespan. Most people think not.

The are only two reasons to make a dinghy out of PVC. Cost or design needs. PVC is more flexible a tolerant of being folded, so is better suited to folding dinghy designs. Most PVC dinghies are not folding designs, so the ONLY reason is cost. No matter what the manufacturer says.
Not true regarding the PVC that True Kit uses. Our dinghy is 7 years old and has been subjected to sub tropical, tropical and equatorial sun the entire time. No stickiness and no deterioration of the material. The welded seams are impervious to heat.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 06:45   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

As others have said, the only way to keep the PVC dinghy alive and functional is from the start using spray and rub protectants then most importantly, chaps and a cover. We went to hypalon and haven't looked back.
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 06:56   #11
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

this is slightly related to the topic - due to health I had to give up boating.

I have a Zodiac 8.5' hypalon dinghy with oars, wood seat, and Suzuki 2hp outboard which I will give away to a good home - or even a bad home.
I live near New Haven CT and Milford CT for pickup.
the dinghy is registered with CT DMV and costs $7 per year, 2025 is already paid cuz I thought I might regain some strength.

PM me if you want it.
Old 19-07-2024, 07:54   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilham View Post
So this is my fourth PVC dink (this one a Tacacat catamaran, supposed to be made of the better quality German PVC), that "goes sticky" at about third year of constant exposure... and in the not-so-sunny Pacific NW. Don't give me grief about not providing a protective cover; very difficult to attach one as the dink lives on davits. In the past I have had some luck removing the sticky top layer with all its embedded grime, by wiping down with acetone on paper towels, changing out towel as soon as it has become full of the sticky grime... I fear this does thin down the PVC that was originally impregnated into the fabric... but doesn't seem to destroy the fabric. Does anyone have a better cleaning and de-stickying process / product?
I researched on line and found this advice.

Do not use solvents. They make the problem worse

Use good soap undiluted and scrub with an abrasive pad. I use a nylon pot scrubber or Scotch Bright. Rinse with water.

There are grades of PVC and rubber that do not turn gooey. The issue is worse in the Caribbean even protected from the sun. My Fender Step and many rubber encased electronics turned to ick.

I have never heard of any of our cruising friends with a PVC dinghy getting sticky. I would toss this back at the vendor. It’s basically unacceptable.

Next time buy Hypalon.

We have a Hypalon AB and chaps and mounted on davits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3395.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	292190  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 09:17   #13

Boat: Passport

We have a 10 yr old 9’ dinghy needing air every couple weeks. Either buy a new dinghy or try this. So we decided to try these two products and now have a brand new looking dinghy and has not required air in 8 months. Only regret we didn’t paint it when new. Its easy and cheaper than buying new. Wonderful stuff. The Goes along way. We mixed the white and grey so to match our lighter grey color. Put on two coats. They grey is very dark otherwise.

We used the Sealant first. Rigged the dinghy on deck so to rotate it to spread the sealant. Then used the Topside Paint. Hopefully the three pics will upload so you can see before n after. Follow the directions.

Can get on Amazon or thru their website.
https://gsa.inlandmarine.us/products/topside-paint/

Crazy good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8836.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	292191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8197.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	292192  

Name:	IMG_8233.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	292193  
DCRRenaissance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 10:18   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

In my experience the only thing that prevent PVC tubes from getting sticky is ..........chaps!
Old 19-07-2024, 10:49   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

We purchased an Avon 3.10 RIB (Hypalon) new in 1990.

It has been outside its whole life, and has spent 4 years in Mexico during that time.
It's still in use today but only as a waterline scrubber or similar work job. Mostly it just sits on the dock. The plywood floor is beginning to soften in spots, and it looks like crap because it never gets a bath unless it rains, but it's not sticky and it holds air.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	292205  

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable