Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2024, 18:29   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: PVC inflatable tubes going sticky from UV exposure - how to clean?

Whenever any item I have goes sticky like this I just cover it with baby powder and work it in. This removes the stickyness without removing the PVC.

I have had several tool handles do this as well as the handle of a air dryer.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 18:45   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

You are singing my sad song. My PVC started to get sticky last year. I cleaned it quickly and slapped on a coat of paint. I was thrilled. For a bit. The sticky returned. So this year I cleaned it VERY well, following the detailed instructions to the letter. Then I gave it two coats of highly recommended paint. I posted it here, everyone was impressed. Including me. It looks great! And the sticky is back. So I have a nice looking sticky ride until I go to hypalon.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:45   #18

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

I have used baking soda and water on many plastic items that got sticky. It does take quite a bit of rubbing and usually a second go at it a day later. Sometimes putting the baking soda on a damp rag helps with the rubbing.
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:29   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
The “sticky” are the plasticizer chemicals the are added to the inherently brittle PVC to make it flexible. Over time they migrate to the surface, especially in sun and heat. It is inherent, and nothing you can do to stop it. As the plasticizers leave, the remaining PVC becomes brittle, and eventually cracks and is not repairable. Even for the “highly regarded” (I.e., well marketed) German PVC.

Wiping PVC with acetone is actually making things worse. Acetone is an excellent solvent for PVC itself.

In an exposed environment 3 years is a normal lifespan for flexible PVC. Your choice to make is if the cheaper upfront cost compared to hypalon is worth the much shorter lifespan. Most people think not.

The are only two reasons to make a dinghy out of PVC. Cost or design needs. PVC is more flexible a tolerant of being folded, so is better suited to folding dinghy designs. Most PVC dinghies are not folding designs, so the ONLY reason is cost. No matter what the manufacturer says.
Our PVC aluminum RIBS (welded) have lasted an average of 12 years. They have been fully exposed and uncovered during that time. The one in this photo looks a little tacky but still holds air. The extreme price of hypalon cannot be justified in our over 30yr fulltime cruising experience..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SINGER CASTLE.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	292227  
Old Yesterday, 15:46   #20
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
this is slightly related to the topic - due to health I had to give up boating.

I have a Zodiac 8.5' hypalon dinghy with oars, wood seat, and Suzuki 2hp outboard which I will give away to a good home - or even a bad home.
I live near New Haven CT and Milford CT for pickup.
the dinghy is registered with CT DMV and costs $7 per year, 2025 is already paid cuz I thought I might regain some strength.

PM me if you want it.
The dinghy is gone to a good home.
Thanks to all who PMd me. Good sailors on CF
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:04   #21

As others have said, PVC plasticizer migration will occur given enough time. Hypalon is overall a better material (lasts longer and more resistant to abrasion). However, PVC has some advantages, too: Lighter and the tubes do not deflate as quickly, because the seams are welded, not glued and also PVC seals the fabric better. Cheaper, as well, as you know. My dinghy is also on davits. My preferred solution is to use a custom cover, light grey, with slits (facing the stern of my boat) to allow me to put the cover on and off with the dinghy on the davits. The slits can be closed with velcro (easier, had it in my previous cover) or a zipper (my current cover). A sail/cover maker can make it for you. This has allowed my previous PVC Zodiac to last 8 years under the subtropical sun. It then fell apart, but the PVC never really oozed solvent. Perhaps Zodiac uses a better PVC recipe, I don't now. My new PVC Zodiac is only two years old, so too early to tell.
Make sure that the cover is a light color so as to keep the dinghy cooler.
Good luck!
southatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:12   #22

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Never use acetone on a dinghy is my experience.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:35   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This will happen again and again and again until you give in and buy a hypalon dinghy.

It can’t be cleaned, UV has deteriorated the material which is permanently damaged. It needs to be replaced.
Instead of repeating it, I’ll just quote myself. You can’t win this battle, give it up, buy hypalon.

There have been countless confirmations now, how can kne still expect they will succeed where nobody else did

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable