Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2020, 15:13   #16

Cool Re: PVC vs Hypalon in the Tropics?

I have been heat welding PVC for 20 years. I would get the PVC tender then get a small amount of 80 mill PVC roofing membrane make a set of chaps out of it and weld them on. Or you can get a local roofer to do it.
I have been inspecting old PVC membrane roofing systems for 18 years at least. NOTHING wrong with PVC unless you use a less than 80 mill thickness.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 15:27   #17

Boat: Catalina C42
Re: PVC vs Hypalon in the Tropics?

I have a PVC Highfield inflatable. After about 6 years hanging on davits it's starting to deteriorate. This is in subtropical climate (27* south)
I suspect Hypalon would last much better although technically I don't believe it's actually "Hypalon". I heard that DuPont stopped making that years ago so probably the same material manufactured by others
Old 06-02-2020, 15:54   #18

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I have a 11.8' PVC Zodiac with air floor, purchased new in 2009. It has lived in the tropics for 10 years, but it is stored away from the sunlight as much as possible. It is still in use as our tender, with a 15hp Mercury motor.

The tubes have become quite discolored, assumedly due to the UV exposure, but they still hold air, except for the problems mentioned below.

I have had several issues with this dingy:
  • All of the glued on parts have come off at one time or another, all of them, including the bow eye.
  • The air floor has needed replacing due to failures and leaks
  • One heat sealed tube seam has started to leak
  • The transom and hull connection has come totally unglued
  • The webbing on the carrying straps had disintegrated
  • The drain plug does not keep water out
  • The basic design of the hull is inadequate; it lacks longitudinal rigidity
  • The small storage box in the bow corroded and broke

I have fixed all of these problems myself, to some degree, but it is a constant effort to keep up with it. Zodiac customer service is useless.

I bought this boat because of it's size and airfloor/keel design. I felt the PVC would have, by now, been engineered to withstand UV. Sort of, it has. But actually, the boat has not been very good, we've had lots of trouble.

Our previous dingy was a Hypalon 11.2' Avon with a PVC inflatable floor. The Hypalon lasted well, for 10 years but we had trouble with glued on parts (rub rail) and repeated leaks in the keel. We replaced the air floor on the Avon too, but the Avon was superior to the Zodiac.

I think I would look at an Achilles.
Old 06-02-2020, 16:23   #19

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have a swift 3.6m RIB with hypalon tubes and aluminium bottom. spent 10+ years in tropics and still going strong.

couple of minor repairs due sharp bits on wharfs etc...not wear n tear. zero leaks

never going to get anything like this life from a PVC dinghy. always worth the extra to invest in hypalon

due to boat never having had chaps, the tubes are starting to look a bit tired so recently repainted top half with the special hypalon paint. very difficult to apply and VERY expensive, but will give us another 5 years i think.

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 16:28   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owe Hansson View Post
I have a PVC Highfield inflatable. After about 6 years hanging on davits it's starting to deteriorate. This is in subtropical climate (27* south)
I suspect Hypalon would last much better although technically I don't believe it's actually "Hypalon". I heard that DuPont stopped making that years ago so probably the same material manufactured by others
Thanks, good case example. At 6 year deterioration start "Hypalon" actually is a better deal.

I bought my current Hypalon RIB (Caribe) in 2008, it was in good shape, but at least a few years old already. It made it until last season (~10 years) before needing some significant seam work (glue failure). The cloth is now starting to go...so its a gonner. Will need to replace for sure by end of this season. At $2K purchase price thats a pretty good run.

I really like Highfields so if I go RIB, I will likely go that way. Also considering hard dinks.

Too bad they dont mount their tubes using bolt ropes then they could just be replaced rather than littering the Carib with yet another worn out RIB.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 17:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Too bad they dont mount their tubes using bolt ropes then they could just be replaced rather than littering the Carib with yet another worn out RIB.
Although it's not a DIY job as you could do with a bolt rope, check with your supplier as Swift/Highfield do fit replacement tubes. Mine was damaged by an out of control bowsprit that tried to remove my rib and davits all at once, we got the torn tube repaired but i will be replacing with new when I get around to it, the aluminum floor and bow locker are still like new and certainly well worth doing a re-tube, and way cheaper than buying a replacement RIB...

https://swiftmarine.com.au/re-tubes-repairs/

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 17:46   #22

Boat: Catalina C42

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Although it's not a DIY job as you could do with a bolt rope, check with your supplier as Swift/Highfield do fit replacement tubes. Mine was damaged by an out of control bowsprit that tried to remove my rib and davits all at once, we got the torn tube repaired but i will be replacing with new when I get around to it, the aluminum floor and bow locker are still like new and certainly well worth doing a re-tube, and way cheaper than buying a replacement RIB...

https://swiftmarine.com.au/re-tubes-repairs/

Thats interesting.
I had a phone conversation with Swift Marine and was told my dinghy (from memory a 280) would not be worth repairing and also that they don't carry spare tubes for the Highfields.
Old 06-02-2020, 17:53   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

A $72 Walmart sewing machine and $150 of sunbella and other materials results is a crappy chapy that protects the much less expensive pvc dinghy
Old 06-02-2020, 17:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
A $72 Walmart sewing machine and $150 of sunbella and other materials results is a crappy chapy that protects the much less expensive pvc dinghy
Not much more for good ones in locations like the Rio Dulce.
Old 06-02-2020, 18:02   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Not much more for good ones in locations like the Rio Dulce.
Long trip to get them. Most people’s dinghies will die on the trip.
Old 06-02-2020, 18:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Long trip to get them. Most people’s dinghies will die on the trip.
The trip is the fun part! [emoji6]
Old 06-02-2020, 21:01   #27
ews

Boat: Hallberg Rassy HR31 Monsun
Send a message via Skype™ to ews

I just been through the Pacific and came up through PNG. My (no chap) PVC dinghy was doing OK until PNG, there the sun is just too much so the patches started to come off. My friends Hyperlon was doing fine. I haven't been able to source chaps for mine and have no mean to make them myself. I think chaps are a must in the tropics and if you can afford a Hyperlon, go for it. I will on my next purchase until I build a hard dinghy.
Old 06-02-2020, 21:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owe Hansson View Post
Thats interesting.
I had a phone conversation with Swift Marine and was told my dinghy (from memory a 280) would not be worth repairing and also that they don't carry spare tubes for the Highfields.
Could be because the Swift Tenders are made here in Queensland and they get the Highfields made in China? maybe they had to order a tube for yours and it was going to be cost prohibitive? what condition is the hull in?

I sent them photos of mine and they said to send it down when im ready, the hull on mine is in great condition and they can fit the new Hypalon tube and have it turned around in 3 days.....i just need to get of my arse when i get back to the boat and stick it on the truck.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 21:28   #29

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander.jorissen View Post
The manufacturer of my rib adviced to go pvc. This because hypalon tends to fail on the glued seams long before the material itself is gone. The welded seams on pvc are much better.
Painfully true.
Old 06-02-2020, 22:29   #30

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Our Southern Pacific PVC RIB lasted 15 years, including 9 years in the Sea of Cortez. It was covered with canvas when on deck and I treated it with 303 protectant usually twice per year. The supplier of this boat told me that it would last at least 10 years with the above treatment so 15 was a bonus.

We now have an AB Hypalon RIB. It is 10 pounds heavier but otherwise similar in terms of performance. We invested in chaps. But so far, the sun is not as intense in French Polynesia as it was during the summer in the Sea of Cortez.

I looked at Highfield dinghies and have seen lots of them around. They look good but it might be a bit too soon to know what their actual lifespan is, PVC or Hypalon.

Good luck.