Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 11:10   #1

Boat: 1975 28' Irwin Yacht
Question Sailrite vs. Pfaff 130 for canvas and clothing?

I cant decide if I want a brand new Sailrite (with zigzag) or if I want to pay almost the same for a completely rebuilt and refurbished Pfaff 130 with embroidery attachment. My Dilemma? I love to sew and want one machine that will handle silk as nicely as canvas so that I can meet the utilitarian requirements around the baot as well as enjoy my hobby! I am also considering the Sailrite and maybe a less expensive home model machine for all the other things I want to make and do but these don't come with the hand crank, a major drawback for me. I am sure i've read all the posts about sewing machines here and there is no question in my mind that the sailrite is a great investment but what about sewing for the fashion enthusiast?

Thanks!
Noblique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 18:37   #2

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Sailrite vs. Pfaff 130 for canvas and clothing?

My wife uses her Sailrite for boat projects, and her old Kenmore for other projects. Even at 35 years old, there are some things it just does better.

As we saw it (and see it in hindsight), buying a new Sailrite includes the great support from the folks at Sailrite.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:47   #3

Boat: Endeavour 43

I have had a sailrite for about 20 years now and it is a good basic machine but I wanted a more commercial machine so I bought a Pfaff 138 and then replaced the consew clutch motor with a gear reduction motor by sewpro. What a combination!!! I can sew as slow as I want with perfect control and all the torque to go through 1/4" of leather and 12 layers of sunbrella (can barely get that mess under the foot)

My current project is replacing the sun cover on the jib and I don't think the sailrite could have handled the job. It just doesn't have the power and torque I need. On the plus side of the sailrite, is the walking foot the the Pfaff 138 lacks.

IMHO, The Pfaff 130 is a nice machine and would be a better choice if you want a high quality German machine. Make sure it is the zigzag model. They are tricky to time until you have done it several times. Good luck...I love to sew
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 20:11   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Noblique,

I sent you a PM.
A used, 830 Bernina is a great start.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 00:05   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I recently purchased a used Pfaff 230 for $50 and sent it to a sewing machine facility for a cleaning and tune up for $80. The machine will do 6 layers of heavy Sungrella. Is zig-zag. I feel the 130 is a good machine but seen is the only Pfaff. The reason I looked for a 230 is because one of the last Pfaffs where the motor is mounted externally, if you want to cahnge it to 12 volt.
As far as Sailrite, I just do not buy Chinese products. Too many problems in the past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pfaff230.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	44506  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 19:50   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I recently purchased a used Pfaff 230 for $50 and sent it to a sewing machine facility for a cleaning and tune up for $80. The machine will do 6 layers of heavy Sungrella. Is zig-zag. I feel the 130 is a good machine but seen is the only Pfaff. The reason I looked for a 230 is because one of the last Pfaffs where the motor is mounted externally, if you want to cahnge it to 12 volt.
As far as Sailrite, I just do not buy Chinese products. Too many problems in the past.
does the 230 have a walking foot? We are looking for a machine for the boat; walking foot; zigzag; tall foot opening.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 23:08   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
does the 230 have a walking foot? We are looking for a machine for the boat; walking foot; zigzag; tall foot opening.
No it does not and apparently did not have the option. Anything I looked at with a walking foot started at $300 used. I have sent a PM to another one of our members who suggests a heavier foot spring. I'll go that route for the few times I need a machine.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, clothing, sailrite