Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2021, 14:02   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Short shaft motor on bigger RIB

Hello,

I'm thinking of upgrading to the aluminum AB 12 inflatable. I'm wondering if I need to budget for a new outboard too or if I can get away w/ using my 6HP tohatsu for a bit.

The diagram for the AB-12 aluminum inflatable shows a 20" height overall for the transom. (Interestingly, it seems the aluminum model winds up with a few inches more transom height than it's fiberglass counterpart, the aluminum hull carries a lot more V-shape all the way aft.)

My outboard seems halfway between a "long" and "short" shaft, measuring 18" from the cavitation plate to where the mount rests on the transom top.

My guess is that this motor would operate - the transom would be submerged at least a few inches, the motor's water inlets, prop, cavitation plate would therefore also be submerged - but.. what do you folks think?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, rib