Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2017, 22:28   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Show Us Your Outboard Sling

My father had a slick store-bought one made out of webbing.

They don't seem to sell such things on this side of the pond, and anyway, isn't this the kind of thing a sailor should be able to make himself?

I improvised one out of small stuff, but I'm sure there are more ingenious ways to do it. Anyone want to show off?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 00:16   #2

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Show Us Your Outboard Sling

I lost my store bought webbing lift and made one out a piece of old halyard using these plans:
http://www.outboardhoist.co.uk/harne...diy/4568815823

It is a better fit than the store bought webbing version and it was "free".
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 02:29   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I nearly lost my outboard, when a plastic buckle broke..... buckle was on 50 mm wide webbing, webbing is in good condition. May make a photo after repair has been completed.
Maybe it makes sense to replace buckles each 4.2 years, as mine broke after 4.3 years (and all of that in the sun).
I must say the buckle broke when getting the outboard fast on the dinghy when as large wake bounced the dinghy up and down and (part of) the weight of dinghy/outboard and myself caused the break.
Old 28-05-2017, 10:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's prudent to have a safety strap just in case the sling lets go.
Mine is a C-Level and if the buckle let's go I think it would fall.
http://www.clevel.com/catalog.htm
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 11:08   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've seen quite a number of them which are integral to Sunbrella covers for the OB's head. Which might make fashioning them a bit easier. Especially if you first make a cover as a "pattern" out of old, scrap cloth. And then refine your design when you make the real thing.
Just remember to leave vent holes in the cover so that the OB can breath properly.

Me, I'd likely make one using spare line jacket (cover), in order to get the fit right. And then if it didn't look tidy enough, I'd switch to using sewn webbing & buckles. Including using UV resistant thread & webbing, along with RP25 or Maxi Jacket, in order to enhance the sling's lifespan.

That said, some very pretty (yet nautical looking), & functional gear can be made using line jacket. I started making some really neat gear for horses this way when I dated a gal who owned a ranch.

BTW, if you list the make, model, & size of the OB, it may help folks to better assist you in your quest. And are there any special, or trick features that you want to incorporate into it? Such as several different lifting & lashing points, multiple handles, or ones in a particular location? It's worth thinking this through, as well as trying out said ideas to see if you like them/they work. Ergo my earlier mockup pattern comment.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 19:37   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We use a Davis lift but I don't trust buckles. I'm just waiting for that engine to fall on my feet and take some toes off. We are going to make one that uses webbing and stainless d-ring tighteners (what are they called?). We will sew the webbing together with the same high quality thread as used in sails.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 21:52   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I've always just lifted the thing up and over. It's gotten a lot harder over the years. I will lament my youth when I have to buy a hoist/ sling....which I feel is not far off. The anchor has also gained weight. This sucks.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 13:40   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I've seen quite a number of them which are integral to Sunbrella covers for the OB's head. Which might make fashioning them a bit easier. Especially if you first make a cover as a "pattern" out of old, scrap cloth. And then refine your design when you make the real thing.
Just remember to leave vent holes in the cover so that the OB can breath properly.

Me, I'd likely make one using spare line jacket (cover), in order to get the fit right. And then if it didn't look tidy enough, I'd switch to using sewn webbing & buckles. Including using UV resistant thread & webbing, along with RP25 or Maxi Jacket, in order to enhance the sling's lifespan.

That said, some very pretty (yet nautical looking), & functional gear can be made using line jacket. I started making some really neat gear for horses this way when I dated a gal who owned a ranch.

BTW, if you list the make, model, & size of the OB, it may help folks to better assist you in your quest. And are there any special, or trick features that you want to incorporate into it? Such as several different lifting & lashing points, multiple handles, or ones in a particular location? It's worth thinking this through, as well as trying out said ideas to see if you like them/they work. Ergo my earlier mockup pattern comment.
Thanks!

What is "line jacket"? The cover stripped from double braid rope?

The outboard is an 8 hp Selva one-lunger.

What I have done so far is to take two pieces of small stuff, loop each around the top of the leg where it meets the powerhead, back around and up on the opposite side to "capture" the drive leg, then do the mirror image with the other piece, then tie the four ends together. It worked quite well, was balanced, and seemed secure. One approach may be to just do the same thing but very neatly, and leave it.

Webbing or double braid cover might be slicker, though. But I don't have a sewing machine.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 14:11   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks!

What is "line jacket"? The cover stripped from double braid rope?

The outboard is an 8 hp Selva one-lunger.

What I have done so far is to take two pieces of small stuff, loop each around the top of the leg where it meets the powerhead, back around and up on the opposite side to "capture" the drive leg, then do the mirror image with the other piece, then tie the four ends together. It worked quite well, was balanced, and seemed secure. One approach may be to just do the same thing but very neatly, and leave it.

Webbing or double braid cover might be slicker, though. But I don't have a sewing machine.
We just used spare 5/16" double braid and wrapped it in a similar fashion to your description. Worked fine and was easy to remove to take the cover off.

The store bought webbing one I've used in the past were a pain to remove once the webbing set with time, sun and salt water. Taking the cover off required tools to work the webbing loose from the snap fittings, and of course I didn't have those when the engine left me stranded..... I ended-up using my teeth

Matt
Old 29-05-2017, 18:13   #10

Here's my home made sling. Some left over 2" webbing and a little time on the sewing machine. Before this one it was 3/8" yacht braid, but that was a little dicey.

Right now it's a block & tackle off the boom end, but one of these days a proper pole lift.

DougR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	601
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	148699  
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 18:41   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

What about just clipping the lifting line to the outboards carrying handle? it won't lift vertically but it will lift and be a very secure strong attachment point!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 18:43   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OK, DH, here's our simple, safe and easy to construct example. It's made from one inch tubular nylon webbing (cheap at climbing shops) and has but one buckle which bears very little load and hence is not a worry. The simple construction is all hand stitched... took me less than an hour to finish the thing from scratch. It has been in continuous use for 13 years now, as evidenced by the fading of the red dye. I replaced one strap a couple of years ago due to worries of UV damage, but when I examined the excised one, the inside layer was pretty pristine, and in reality was still way overkill strengthwise. After all, the webbing is >1000 lb strength, the load is divided by four straps, and the motor weigh around 75 lbs. Why worry? On the side not shown, the horizontal strap analogous to the one with the buckle has no buckle. Releasing the one buckle allows the whole thing to be removed readily.

The only thing I'd do differently if I replaced it would be to add a D-ring at the top for easier attachment of the halyard snap shackle... and I'd make it just a bit looser, for the webbing shrinks slightly with age and exposure.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1702.jpg
Views:	1426
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	148701  
Old 29-05-2017, 18:53   #13

just made... being perfected.. easy peasy to remove to service engine. does not interfere with light mounted atop motor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170526_153338.jpg
Views:	2091
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	148702  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 19:37   #14

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

-Two (2) sail ties (webbing with a loop sewn into one end)

-One tie ahead of the motor "leg", The other tie behind.

-Each working end passes through both loops, thus locking all four parts together atop the motor.

-A single bowline attaches both working ends (tied simultaneously) to the lifting rig.

-Attaches in seconds.

-Nothing to buy, make, or fail.

-Absolutely secure (Blame the safety line on my OCD) on my engine shape. Other shapes might not be as secure.

Steve

Note: coiled lines are the dinghy lifting harness - not used during motor lift.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:50   #15

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Helpful thread.
I just got a heavier motor that needs a sling. Planning on making it myself, I did a Google search for pictures, mostly commercially available stuff of a couple different styles. I wanted it tight on top so my crane does not have to be so tall.
I initially planned on copycatting one of the popular styles but don't really trust the buckles for heavy weight bearing.
Once I started looping some webbing around the motor, it became clear a simple solution was possible.
My motor shape is "T-with-a-stick" so a strap with two loops will work. It has a nice squared off aft recess to secure the strap.
The modern ice cream cone shaped motors are likely a much greater challenge. Those transverse buckles are likely heavily loaded.

I made a strap with a loop at each end. One leg around front, thru the loop on top, leg around back and thru loop again, hoist with single loop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	495048ED-3376-4725-A2D9-0C1F5D6B264E.jpeg
Views:	1561
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	218901  
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard