Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 19:35   #46

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Small petrol outboard vs Torqeedo cruise 2 with honda generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
I took the plunge and bought Torqueedo 1003 with large battery. My 2 stroke outboard maintenance games will stop

Will lighten boat stern in total for 50 kg.

Lessen amount of petrol to carry.

Increase space in dinghy as no more fuel tank - less need for larger dinghy.

Davits will have to carry 30 kg less.

Analysis of way we use dinghy indicated that there was no single time that we really required more power or range than T 1003 provides.

Will be powered from my newly acquired lithium batteries / solar. Expecting to use around 100 AH for full charge, which is just fine with 360 W panels.

Cats do not really need dinghy as tug boats.
What kind of dinghy?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:59   #47

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
What kind of dinghy?
zodiac rib 2.60 hypalon.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 23:23   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Good point.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:52   #49

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I took the plunge and bought Torqueedo 1003 with large battery. My 2 stroke outboard maintenance games will stop

Will lighten boat stern in total for 50 kg.

Lessen amount of petrol to carry.

Increase space in dinghy as no more fuel tank - less need for larger dinghy.

Davits will have to carry 30 kg less.

Analysis of way we use dinghy indicated that there was no single time that we really required more power or range than T 1003 provides.

Will be powered from my newly acquired lithium batteries / solar. Expecting to use around 100 AH for full charge, which is just fine with 360 W panels.

Isn't this really a somewhat false comparison. You just traded a 30 hp? outboard for a 3 hp outboard. Most of the differences you list were obtained by deciding you could make do with a much smaller motor. Wouldn't you have saved money and saved even more weight by going with a small propane outboard?
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:01   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Isn't this really a somewhat false comparison. You just traded a 30 hp? outboard for a 3 hp outboard. Most of the differences you list were obtained by deciding you could make do with a much smaller motor. Wouldn't you have saved money and saved even more weight by going with a small propane outboard?
I think a 2hp Honda would be a better example.
Old 28-12-2018, 09:48   #51

Quote:
I think a 2hp Honda would be a better example.
Yes, any small outboard would achieve all the weight savings - the 2.3 Honda is approximately equivalent to a Torqeedo 1003. The advantage of a small propane outboard is that it eliminates the need to carry gasoline, which is also an objective of those who consider the Torqeedo outboard.
Old 28-12-2018, 10:07   #52

Quote:
Yes, any small outboard would achieve all the weight savings - the 2.3 Honda is approximately equivalent to a Torqeedo 1003. The advantage of a small propane outboard is that it eliminates the need to carry gasoline, which is also an objective of those who consider the Torqeedo outboard.
I guess but propane just doesn't make sense to me. Compared to gas it's less efficient, harder to find, more expensive, just as dangerous and just as hard to store. I think I'd go electric before I'd go propane but that's just me. If I carried lots of propane & no gas I might go the other way.
Old 28-12-2018, 11:02   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
I guess but propane just doesn't make sense to me. Compared to gas it's less efficient, harder to find, more expensive, just as dangerous and just as hard to store. I think I'd go electric before I'd go propane but that's just me. If I carried lots of propane & no gas I might go the other way.
where is propane hard to find?? only usa.
almost everywhere else itis cooking gas of choice and even has stations akin to gas stations called propane farms for refills. trucks drive around all day filling systems in homes and restaurants. if it is hard to find, donot go to shore, as you will trip over it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:14   #54
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

propane's very easy to find in the US, just might need to go inland a mile or two
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:35   #55

I apologize. Was not aware that propane is common at marinas in other countries. In the US refilling propane tanks is usually not possible at marinas & finding a place that will refill tanks is not "very easy". Finding places that swap out barbecue tanks is pretty easy but that won't work for most boats.
Old 28-12-2018, 11:40   #56

Quote:
I guess but propane just doesn't make sense to me. Compared to gas it's ……….. harder to find ….
And just to pile on, every small store at a fuel dock or marina in the US that I have ever been in sells the small disposable propane cannisters (same ones used for portable propane stoves or BBQs). All small propane outboards are set up to use either the disposable cannisters or external refillable tanks.
Old 28-12-2018, 11:46   #57

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
traded 10 hp outboard for 3 hp. Propane is problematic where we sail - south pacific. Carry already 4 bottles on sail trip and run out of space on ventilated lockers.

Now need to carry 20 L less petrol, then get rid of on average 10 kg fuel tank, and another 23 kg difference in engine weight, and ~ 2 kg of oil mix for 2 stroke.

Have solar and lithium ready waiting for new consumers.

I hate word carburetor
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:57   #58

Quote:
And just to pile on, every small store at a fuel dock or marina in the US that I have ever been in sells the small disposable propane cannisters (same ones used for portable propane stoves or BBQs). All small propane outboards are set up to use either the disposable cannisters or external refillable tanks.
What are you going to do, buy a couple of cases of those things which would cost you a fortune at a marina? No serious cruiser is going to run an outboard on little cans of propane. But seriously, if anyone wants to use a propane outboard on their dinghy I applaud them. Better for the environment so it's better for all of us.
Old 28-12-2018, 12:26   #59

Quote:
What are you going to do, buy a couple of cases of those things which would cost you a fortune at a marina? No serious cruiser is going to run an outboard on little cans of propane. But seriously, if anyone wants to use a propane outboard on their dinghy I applaud them. Better for the environment so it's better for all of us.
I believe we were talking about whether propane could be obtained at a marina in a case where you were about to run out and could not find a nearby supplier. I was observing that you could always obtain a couple of the disposable cannisters if needed. In fact, most gas stations also fill propane tanks and I have also never been to a marina in the US where there was not a gas station near by (and that includes on the Makah Indian Reservation at Neah Bay). And while we are at it, I am a more or less serious cruiser. I carry along several disposable propane cannisters for my BBQ as do most of the other semi-serious cruisers I know. And how much gasoline would most of us put through a 2 hp gas kicker in a year? Why are you imagining using such a large quantity of propane in a kicker engine?
Old 28-12-2018, 12:48   #60
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I have never visited a town of any size that did not have at least a few places that refill bottles.

And nothing wrong with swapping 20# bottles, more expensive per gallon but easier, and certainly **much** cheaper than the silly little disposable 1# ones.

But if you mean within walking distance of a marina, yes in the US, often less convenient than that.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, generator, honda, outboard