Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2006, 09:31   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Speaking of Dinks

I've noticed that in different States/Countries that some dinks have to be registered. Here in Washington state it has to be 10'+ and/or 10 hp to require registration. But in Ak anything with a motor had to be registered.

When I've crossed over in to B.C., Canada they don't say anything about my dink's registration.

So what is the rule in your area????
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 09:34   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Delmarrey,
Here in Hawaii it needs to be registered if you use an outboard regardless of length. If you just row or sail then anything 10' and over needs to be registered.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 09:41   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
In Canada it's still under federal jurisdiction. Under 10 hp no licensing required. That's why we see all those 9.9 hp motors.
Old 31-12-2006, 09:57   #4
Kai Nui

California is rumored to be anything over 8', but if you ask the DMV, they say if it has an engine. Does this exempt my previous boat? A 28' Cutter? Again, we go to the subjective enforcement. DMV person says yes. Ca law says no. Enforcement is selective as well. 9' inflateable, I was threatened with a ticket, even though I had no outboard on the boat. 9' Hard dinghy, no one seems to care.
Old 31-12-2006, 11:12   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Kalifronia has more laws than the brain can comprehend

I've got 1) an 18' canoe and no one ever asks for registration on that. 2) trying to get registration on an inflatable was a matter of pulling teeth but with an engine I figured I needed it. 3) inflatable kayak 14' long who knows ( but won't till I'm asked to) Legally Kai is correct anything longer than 8' that is why El Toros and Optimist are so well liked.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 11:49   #6
Kai Nui

The Ca DMV is the perfect model of a true beauracracy (sp?) The rules are there, but they seem to interpret them as they see fit. Since most of them are not boating people, their understanding of boats, and boat regs is VERY limited. To top it off, the local law enforcement is equally confused. They generally have to call on the Coast Guard to decide who has juristiction. I had no problem registering my inflateable, but when I tried to register the 9' dinghy, I was basically told I was wasting their time.
Old 31-12-2006, 13:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it:
  • is equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion;
  • is not currently registered with the U.S. Coast Guard (documented) and;
  • is being used principally in Maryland
There is a $2 title fee and a $24 registration fee (registration fee is waived if the vessel is under 16 feet or uses less than a 7.5HP motor)

You also have to pay a 5% excise tax when you register it the first time.

There is a $15 lein filing fee if that applies as well.

All in all not very expensive except for the excise tax.

Registration is good until December 31st of the following year.

Also in MD boats registered through the Department of Natural Resources not the MVA. MVA does handle trailers though.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 14:04   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
In Florida, if it is powered (yep ... trolling motors too!) or over 16' it has to be registered. Thankfully ... it's cheap, my 9' Avon costs me $10 a year.
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 15:13   #9

Florida sounds pretty reasonable. Here in Hawaii even a Sunfish with no mechanical propulsion must be registered.
JohnL
Old 31-12-2006, 16:53   #10
Kai Nui

Semantics I know, but has anyone ever gotten a clear definition of "Mechanical"? It seems to me that oars are a mechanical form of propulsion. Even a sail rig is mechanical. So far, the best the DMV can do is tell me it is mechanical if it runs on gas. I asked about diesel, and they had to agree that qualified as well. (Be glad you do not work at my local DMV )
Old 31-12-2006, 17:07   #11

In Queensland, any boat can be used as a tender, and a tender doesn't have to be registered. It must be marked "Tender to .........", and can only be used within 2 nm of the "mothership". If you want to go beyond 2 nm then anything with more than 4 hp needs to be registered.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 17:28   #12

44'
That sounds very reasonable too.
Old 31-12-2006, 18:27   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
Semantics I know, but has anyone ever gotten a clear definition of "Mechanical"? It seems to me that oars are a mechanical form of propulsion. Even a sail rig is mechanical. So far, the best the DMV can do is tell me it is mechanical if it runs on gas. I asked about diesel, and they had to agree that qualified as well. (Be glad you do not work at my local DMV )
Any response to trolling or electric motors???
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 18:39   #14
Kai Nui

Del, that was exactly where I was going. Leaving things like this open for interpretation is an invitation for problems by overzealous law enforcement.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:48   #15

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
In Queensland, any boat can be used as a tender, and a tender doesn't have to be registered. It must be marked "Tender to .........", and can only be used within 2 nm of the "mothership". If you want to go beyond 2 nm then anything with more than 4 hp needs to be registered.
In UK a lot of people (including myself, do not put T/T and then the name of the mother ship cause that just tells thieves which boat is not attended. Mine has T/T and then the registration number clearly marked, but no name.