Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 20:18   #16

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Re: Sticker shock: air conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes but it's as big as a foot locker turned on end, and you have to fix it in place somewhere and run the duct out of a port light
Not near "footlocker" size (I have a few mil-issue, much longer), the as-is dimensions are:
Height 34.00", Width 17.30", Depth (w/ Front), 19.00", Unit Weight 72.00 lbs.
When I pare the housing off one, down to the 'guts', and refit it into a locker space, it will take up even less space, and weight. I'll switch from a portlight to a dorade (divided in-out) too.
No more hassle than a much more expensive 'marine' unit, expect less hassle, but it's a 'boat' job so we'll see.
But you can't beat the price for the same 12,500 BTUcool/3500Wheat function, and once the initial custom fitting is done that's it, even a full replacement is trivial. I expect them to be much more reliable too, I take certain standard 'marinizing' procedures with everything to ensure that (mostly anti-corrosion of course), beyond just plopping it in.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 21:07   #17

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I try to go places that don't require AC, but get caught enough that I bought two 12,000 btu portables. About 1' x 1' x 3'. Paid $3-400 each. Seem to do the job. If you buy portables that vent the heat outside, get the one with 2 hoses. One for exhaust heat and one for intake. The single hose ones only exhaust so draw in an equal amount of hot air from wherever, into the cabin. So the single hose models have more hot air to cool.
Mine seem to work ok. I have built in ports where the hoses attach that cover in the off season. I store the units in my chain locker the rest of the year.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:39   #18

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Hi JSC7,

I recently purchased (2) 16k BTU marine AC units directly from Ocean Breeze in Stuart, Fl, model OB16CH. They are factory reconditioned units and appear exactly as brand new with the same warranty. The cost was $800 ea.

These are small self contained units that easily fit under V-Birth or settee, etc.

You can request all the same options as if buying new such as duct size and direction.

Took me less than a day to install both units but it was an R&R with my old units.

My opinion is if your boat sits at the dock most of it's life then house units can be an option, but if you do any kind of cruising then marine units are the way to go. This holds true with most other appliances on a boat such as fridge and hot water heater.

Good luck,
Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:50   #19

Water cooled marine ac is complicated and expensive, that doesn't mean it's better by any stretch. Just more complicated and more to fail. But of course the advantage is it get's buried somewhere out of the way. A $250 home window unit will last many years without issue but be an albatross laying around.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:53   #20

Boat: Island Packet 32

I used the intake seacock for the head.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:03   #21

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
Looking through the option list for a new boat is definitely a sobering experience. On the list I was looking at the most expensive of all the options was air conditioning, priced at about $16,000 for two 12,000 BTU units.
Other items that help boat manufacturers stay profitable include generators, anchor windlasses, thrusters, powered winches, navigational electronics and so on. You are paying mostly for convenience. However, Home Depot prices have no importance for making a decision whether to get optional equipment from a manufacturer or go aftermarket route. You need to check Defender.com for that. That convenience part also includes warranty that covers installed products.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:04   #22

Portables can have a role during an extended yard stay.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:15   #23

Boat: Scout 30

Listen to Lepke. If you're buying a portable airconditioner make sure it's a dual hose unit. Much more efficient.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:50   #24

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I advise against getting a residential air cooled unit.

Check Mermaid Manufacturing.
They manufacture MARINE, water cooled units.
I purchased a 6,000 BTU unit from them 7 years ago and love it.
Cost was around $2,000 Canadian.
Larger units are not proportionately more expensive.
I installed it myself, and it took about 3 hours after I figured out where the wiring, cooling water, and cold air connections would run. And I am NOT a mechanic.

Just remember...."Measure twice...Cut once."
Think it out in advance.
"Fasten your courage to the sticking place." (Macbeth)
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:06   #25

Boat: Scout 30

Defender runs sales on ac units pretty regularly.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:20   #26

When i was researching portable AC for the house a couple of years ago, Consumer Reports was not very happy with the roll-around type of unit. Here's an updated version of that column.

Of course, for a boat, the available installation space is often the overriding factor, so the relative inefficiency of the portable might be tolerable if it installs easier.

In my neck of the woods, the summer hasn't been that hot, and AC units have already gone on sale. For the house we just scored a brand new but discontinued 8000BTU window unit for $75 CDN!
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:33   #27

Boat: ODAY 28

16k sounds way out of the ball park sure you have the correct price. what kind of boat were you looking at.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:21   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Keep in mind the air conditioning units intended for land use are in all likelihood going to be a big ball of rust within a few months after the salt water or the salt air or both hits them.

Marine units are more expensive partly because the cost per unit comes down with the number of units produced. Far far more land based air conditioning units are sold than marine units.

Home Depot is not the place to buy an AC unit, unless your boat never leaves the dock or you never leave fresh water.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:32   #29
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

I have been using a window unit for 5 years in Miami, with no problems. I just replaced it this summer with a portable marine hatch unit, same BTU and the difference is big, due to the fact that it blows the cold air down. I tried the home portable unit and it sucks a lot of outside air in, rising the humidity level
Old 06-08-2017, 11:37   #30

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing1 View Post
16k sounds way out of the ball park sure you have the correct price. what kind of boat were you looking at.
All catamarans @44-46'

Lagoon wants 18k euros for 3 cabin

Fountain Pajot wants 22,900 usd

Leopard gets 14,803 usd two units

Nautitech gets 21,340 euros for 48k btu 3 cabin
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote