Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2023, 18:42   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Stuck Tohatsu float valve pin

2010 Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke.

I am trying to clean or change my float valve as my carb keeps flooding with gas spilling out. Most videos I have found showing the process show the pivot pin that holds everything together, being easily pulled out. That has not been the case for me. I got a pair of vice grips on it and could not remove it. Maybe I could have tried harder but I was afraid of the pin breaking and being in even a worse situation. I have a set of small drift punches. Is it okay to knock this pin out? The replacement pin had no threads so it appears that it is only a friction fit. Maybe some PB Blaster too?
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 19:00   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 235
Re: Stuck Tohatsu float valve pin

Yep, that's the way. Same motor for me. I don't recall mine being terrible to remove. In fact I believe it is pretty loose. Make sure you try pushing from both sides with your punch before tapping it out. For what it is worth,my carb also used to overfill. I cleaned the thing out thinking it might be a seat issue for the float valve and bent the tab back a bit whenthat didnt work, but that ended up starving the carb for fuel so I went somewhat halfway back, cleaned everything thoroughly and now it is great again,
CalebF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:17   #3

Same for me on a 3.5HP, about to pull the carb and take it apart.

That said, I've ordered a new carb (which I believe is universal for 3.5-6HP models) that only costs $35 and will put it in, then clean and keep the old one as a spare.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:42   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
That said, I've ordered a new carb (which I believe is universal for 3.5-6HP models) that only costs $35 and will put it in, then clean and keep the old one as a spare.

While the carb body is the same, the jets will be different for the various size motors (at least it is for the 4, 5 and 6hp).
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 13:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
Same for me on a 3.5HP, about to pull the carb and take it apart.

Where did you order a complete carb? I've only seen kits available.

Also, IIRC, upgrading your horsepower is just a matter of upgrading the jets, but do your own research if that is of interest.
Old 08-06-2023, 16:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Where did you order a complete carb? I've only seen kits available.

Also, IIRC, upgrading your horsepower is just a matter of upgrading the jets, but do your own research if that is of interest.
I have the 3.5, but they have the 6HP specific one too.

Amazon - prices vary $35-75
Online marine dealers - $120-250

https://defender.com/en_us/tohatsu-n...tor-3we032000m
https://www.amazon.com/LucaSng-Carbu.../dp/B0839HLVJS
https://rsbparts.com/mercury-tohatsu...rd-carburetor/
https://www.readysetboat.com/tohatsu...propeller.html
Old 10-06-2023, 11:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe just because it hasn't been out in 13 years but it was a bear to remove. A little PB Blaster soak time. Then nudging it out a touch with the drift punch, then tapping back in. Rinse and repeat. Finally the vice grips were able to rotate it and then with some careful pulling and turning, it came out. Blowing some air dislodged a piece of crud which may have been the root cause of my problems. I put in a new pin and went ahead and replaced the other parts since I had them. The pin went in easily but seemed modestly secure. I measured the float height per the manual and set the height. Unfortunately I left the fuel tank at the boat so I will need to do the ultimate test another day.
Old 13-06-2023, 08:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I finally returned to the boat and tank. The bulb filled the system then firmed up with no leak. Started on the first pull with no choke. On to the next project!
Old 18-06-2023, 18:37   #9

So as a small update - i have a new to me 3.5 Tohatsu that runs, but had trouble idling. I've cleaned the carb as well as was possible, but could not get it to run at low RPM reliably. Replaced the carb with one from Amazon and it started on the second pull and immediately settled at a nice idle.

Tags
loa