Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 10:57   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Suzuki DT 6 stops like when running out of fuel

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I assume he is "lapping" the valve seat.
This works if you have a leaking valve and the seat has been scratched or similar and you have an all metal seat and needle, often times needles now have a neoprene tip on them to make them seat perfectly.

But anyway, this isn't your problem, a leaking needle valve causes the bowl to overflow and floods the engine when it's excessive, your is sticking closed, or sounds like it is.

If there is someone around that can show you how or maybe even pay them to let you watch, just tell them you don't mind paying, but since your a cruiser, you really need to know how to do this yourself, your paying for a class.
Most mechanics will be flattered and understand your not trying to keep from paying next time, your just not likely to be around mechanics and need to know how to do this yourself.
It's really a simple procedure, but trying to explain it on the internet is I guess like trying to write a procedure to teach someone how to tie their shoe, exceedingly easy to do, but I could never explain it, but could show you easily.

I wouldn't bother glueing on fuel lines either by the way.

If there is a way you watch while someone cleans your carb, it would answer 1000 questions
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We have a 1983 Suzuki DT 5 (2 cyl) that runs like a champ. We've had this engine for 9 years now. One spring I removed the carb to see what shape it's in: it was clean as a whistle, with just a film of 2-stroke oil. So now all I do is fire some spray carb cleaner in the air intake while doing my spring test.

Given the symptoms, I would say either fuel pump or float valve.

When it comes to our outboard, we're health nuts: new gas every spring, only premium without ethanol, we add stabilizer and Shell Nautilus 2-stroke oil. This has kept it dependable.
In Sweden there is 5% or 10% ethanol in all gasoline. Unless you buy some kind of syntetic gasoline.

They also put RME (Rapeseed oil Methyl Ester) in diesel. In the marina gas stations you can fill diesel that is RME free, which I always do. But for gasoline, you have to live with the ethanol unfortunately.
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:47   #33

Awesome. Pedagogical:

Will follow.
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel