Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 18:20   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Tohatsu 5 2-stroke VS Tohatsu 6 4-stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I have a 2003 Nissan 6hp 4 stroke (Tohatsu makes Nissan) and am very happy with it. It has been very reliable, easy to maintain and has not given me any problems. I would definitely recommend it.

As far as 2 stroke vs 4 it's a personal thing. I like 4 strokes but thats me. Others swear by 2. Thats your call unless you have a specific question between the 2 of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousH View Post
I have a Tohatsu 4-stroke 6hp and I LOVE IT

Its very easy to find parts for it since its the same as the Mercury 6, its surprisingly powerful, and its almost as quiet as the Yamaha motors. I will say you've really got to keep some extra fuel filters and be sure and check the carb every now and again, but she's pushed my 9' inflatable like a champion. I've towed my 25,000lb sailboat a few times with it too.
Yup...2008 Tohatsu 6hp. 4 stroke mounted on the stern pulpit under my small crane. Under 60lbs. I think. Yes, 2 strokes are a little lighter but I'll save my back and not pick up any outboard on a boat in the water. I crane it down where the water is just below the transom clamps, then maneuver the portabot under it. 5 minutes later, I'm on my way. The 4 strokes have much better fuel economy and last longer.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:34   #17

Boat: Lagoon 40

I have had the 6 4-stroke for about 6 months. Very Happy with it - usually starts second pull after being left a couple of weeks. I was hoping it would be a bit more powerful. I use it on a Caribe 9 ft with hard bottom. Although I did not count on it planning, I hoped it may get close with one person - but it does not. Still a solid engine.
Neil

PS - love the videos and CDs!
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:14   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

This could be a myth, but I could believe 2 stroke engines exhaust more unburned fuel (pollution) into the water and 4 stroke get better mileage.

I might just be saying this because I always liked 4 stroke engines batter and found them more reliable.
Old 12-04-2015, 14:33   #19

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
This could be a myth, but I could believe 2 stroke engines exhaust more unburned fuel (pollution) into the water and 4 stroke get better mileage.

I might just be saying this because I always liked 4 stroke engines batter and found them more reliable.
Kindredpdx - No, it's not a myth. 2-stroke exhaust contains both unburned gasoline and oil. Much more polution. But more important to me personally (not more important to the planet) is that there were MANY times that we explored up a river in Mexic and discovered places that were amazing, but were places that were so far up the river that a 6 gallon gas-oil mix in a two stroke would not had been possible.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 15:50   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

A 5 HP 4 stroke is equal to about an 8HP 2 stroke in power.

Someone above keeps mentioning easier maintenance on a 2 stroke?

Not sure where he is coming from with that. I have changed the oil once on my 2011 5HP 4 Stroke Extra Long Shaft (25") Mercury and replaced the lower unit oil. I also added grease at the two grease fittings for good motor rotation.

That's it!

And btw, my 5 HP pushes a 6600lb Bristol 27 Sailboat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01826.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	100317  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 03:28   #21

Boat: Southerly 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliWali View Post
We have an older (early 2000's) 5 HP Tohautsu 2-cycle on our 10' Avon which has given good service, but I sure wouldn't want to go much smaller with the wife and I plus two big dogs .... The lightness and portability over the heavier 2 cylinder motors is a big advantage though.
Can you plane with 1 person in the dinghy WiliWali? Your dinghy is the same (almost?) as our 10 Avon Lite and I was hoping I would plane with just me...
Old 13-04-2015, 03:33   #22

Boat: Southerly 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Motors are measure the same way for HP so I am pretty sure the 8HP will give you 3 more HP.

For maintenance I have always had to remove and clean carbs on the engines I have owned including my Honda 2.3 so I was hoping that would be an easier job on the 5HP which has lots of space in the cowl. Honda was a bit of a nightmare...
Old 13-04-2015, 04:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Shores View Post
Motors are measure the same way for HP so I am pretty sure the 8HP will give you 3 more HP.

For maintenance I have always had to remove and clean carbs on the engines I have owned including my Honda 2.3 so I was hoping that would be an easier job on the 5HP which has lots of space in the cowl. Honda was a bit of a nightmare...
It's usually the smaller engines with the tiny carb jets that have the problems not the 4-5-6 hp models. And if you add a little stabilizer in Winter you should be okay.

I've had no carburetor problems so far.

I did read where the 4 strokes of the same horse power as a 2 stroke were stronger. I believe it's the same way with RC Airplane engines.
Old 13-04-2015, 05:38   #24

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

For that small an engine I'll take mixing two stroke to oil changes and weight any day. Two strokes have more torque than 4 strokes which equals better hole shots. Single cylinder 4 strokes fire once every 720 degrees which equals lumpy running and vibration. I have an internal and external tank and treat the internal as reserve capacity. Rarely use the motor without the external tank.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
For that small an engine I'll take mixing two stroke to oil changes and weight any day. Two strokes have more torque than 4 strokes which equals better hole shots. Single cylinder 4 strokes fire once every 720 degrees which equals lumpy running and vibration. I have an internal and external tank and treat the internal as reserve capacity. Rarely use the motor without the external tank.

I have the internal tank and external connection on my 5HP 4 stroke. You can run on the internal tank almost an hour which makes it nice for coming and going from the dock if it's your main engine.

I hook up the external tank when crossing the 17 miles of open bay during light wind mornings or when the wind is doing it's morning shift in Summer. I can average almost 5 knots depending on wind and tide with the 5HP pushing the almost 7,000 lb Bristol.

On a dinghy, that probably equals a couple trips to shore and back etc due to the excellent fuel economy of the 4 stroke.

And lastly, the 4 strokes are a much cleaner running engine.
Old 13-04-2015, 06:12   #26

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
I have the internal tank and external connection on my 5HP 4 stroke. You can run on the internal tank almost an hour which makes it nice for coming and going from the dock if it's your main engine.

I hook up the external tank when crossing the 17 miles of open bay during light wind mornings or when the wind is doing it's morning shift in Summer. I can average almost 5 knots depending on wind and tide with the 5HP pushing the almost 7,000 lb Bristol.

On a dinghy, that probably equals a couple trips to shore and back etc due to the excellent fuel economy of the 4 stroke.

And lastly, the 4 strokes are a much cleaner running engine.
For a pusher motor the 4 stroke is best. For a dinghy I think the two stroke wins, given the choice.

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:17   #27

Boat: Mainship 390

Quote:

Not sure where he is coming from with that. I have changed the oil once on my 2011 5HP 4 Stroke Extra Long Shaft (25") Mercury and replaced the lower unit oil. I also added grease at the two grease fittings for good motor rotation.

That's it!

And btw, my 5 HP pushes a 6600lb Bristol 27 Sailboat.
I would have to disagree with this. 5 HP is 5HP, 8HP is 8HP. In the case of equal horsepower, the 2-stroke will always feel more powerful because they have more torque than 4-strokes, because every other stroke is a power stroke vs. every 4th stroke.

BTW, Paul, love your show.

-Norm
rendern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendern View Post
I would have to disagree with this. 5 HP is 5HP, 8HP is 8HP. In the case of equal horsepower, the 2-stroke will always feel more powerful because they have more torque than 4-strokes, because every other stroke is a power stroke vs. every 4th stroke.

BTW, Paul, love your show.

-Norm
It has to do with the way they used to measure the horse power of the older 2 strokes. So it will depend on what year 2 stroke engine you have.
Old 13-04-2015, 09:34   #29

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
But more important to me personally (not more important to the planet) is that there were MANY times that we explored up a river in Mexic and discovered places that were amazing, but were places that were so far up the river that a 6 gallon gas-oil mix in a two stroke would not had been possible.
Just for perspective on the 4 stroke side my 6hp Nissan 4 stroke burns approximately .5 gallons per hour at wide open throttle. I have a 3 gallon tank and it lasts me about 6 hours.

Not sure how that compares with 2 strokes if anyone has info on an equivelant 2 stroke and wants to share.
Old 13-04-2015, 11:08   #30

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Two stroke is way easier to maintain and repair. Drop it over board; flush it out, clean the carb and off you go. If you are leaving the country, parts will probably easier to get for two stroke. Had a 4 hp four stroke Yamaha, lasted one season, couldn't stand the noise and vibration. A lawn mower with a prop. Went back to a Yamaha 15, two stroke, left over, the last ones in this country. Ethanol gunk issues? Carb cleaned and back running properly in 30 minutes.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote