Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2023, 14:53   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Tohatsu 6HP vs Honda 5HP

never mind the never cruised guy knows it all

fuel treatment only is about corrossion
Old 06-02-2023, 14:57   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Small carbs are fussy. Pretty much any imperfect handling in the fuel department will cause issues. And ethanol gas is more fussy, so it's easier to end up with problems in a small carb. And then there's the issue of whether the rubber parts in some small engine fuel systems are truly as ethanol compatible as they're supposed to be.

But Thomm's experience here is valid, as the outboard he has is the same thing, just de-tuned to 5hp and with a different sticker on the outside. I do agree with his comments on fuel stabilizer, as I've generally had good luck with small carbs since I started stabilizing all fuel as soon as I buy it (and usually at a little more than the recommended dose of stabilizer). And if an engine is going to sit for a while, I fog it on the last shutdown which leaves the inside of the carb nice and oily to help prevent things gumming up.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 15:00   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
never mind the never cruised guy knows it all
Aren't you getting tired of that?

I knew more about boats and cruising before you even left the dock a few years ago.

Weren't you the guy that complained (and posted) about banging halyards at a marina when the wind was up and also wakes along the ICW?

Seriously? Really??

That's a total beginner!

But back to engines and ethanol.

BTW knowing engines and cruising are two entirely different things, but that's obvious because you haven't yet learned how to maintain an engine that uses ethanol fuel

The new outboards are made for ethanol gasoline.

It's the operator's responsibility to make sure he doesn't use old gas.

So you actually have to be pro-active and get off your butt to maintain your outboard properly
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 16:16   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

trust me only ah*** like banging halyards
Old 06-02-2023, 20:59   #20

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Somewhat off topic but relevant. Have evolved to not removing outboard from dinghy when on davits. Lots of opinions and recent threads on the subject. Most would discourage, but works for me. Might try it before you abandon an outboard you like.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:41   #21

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Somewhat off topic but relevant. Have evolved to not removing outboard from dinghy when on davits. Lots of opinions and recent threads on the subject. Most would discourage, but works for me. Might try it before you abandon an outboard you like.

We carry our dinghy with the outboard mounted as well. But depending on how the dinghy is carried, the boat in question, etc. that's not always a viable option.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:49   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
We have both a Honda 2.3HP and 9.9HP for our AB 9.5 ft aluminum inflatable RIB. 2.3HP is great to lift easily (admiral can do it herself, that she really likes) and gets us to shore and back. 9.9HP is great to move around in relative high speed. But it is way too heavy, since we need to keep putting it on and off. Sooner or later, we are going to damage something or hurt ourselves. So we are planning to move to a lighter outboard. Contenders are 5-6HP outboards in the 50-60 lbs range.

What are thoughts on new Tohatsu 6HPs (MFS6DD) and Honda 5HPs (BF5)?

Tohatsu is a little more powerful, a little cheaper (around $100) and a little lighter (~5 lbs so we can ignore it), so almost a no brainer. But we really love our Hondas (we also have a portable Honda generator), they keep working, easy to start etc etc.

Worth to switch to a Tohatsu?
YES! the new Tohatsu 6HP Beluga is a one cylinder lil power dude at 58lb also can be conneted to a outside tank and had lots of great details like steering lock and front shifting. I just got one and it planes my inflatable.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:30   #23

Good choice and I’ve owned both. Tohatsu so far has been just as dependable as the Honda. The Tohatsu are not quite as robustly built as the Honda though Tohatsu doesn’t seem to skimp when it comes to the integrity of the engine. Seems good and solid. You will probably never wear either of them out.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:06   #24

Boat: Brewer 12.3

To those who have the 6 or other Tohatsu. I had many of the same issues with mine. Problem was solved by removing the ignition coil and polishing the mounting faces. Dissimilar metals!!!!!. I also removed the bug screen from the carb and go significantly better performance.
Oldwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:46   #25

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

I use the Tohatsu 6 in the "sailpro" version for a 22 foot sail boat. It is plenty powerful for my needs. Only one season on it but it ran perfectly. No gasahol, ever. Replaced a Suzuki 9.9, which was a ********** nightmare and beastly heavy. The Suzuki 9.9 was a de-powered 25. The Tohatsu 6 is (I think) the same block as the Tohatsu 4 and 5 hp versions. Generally a good thing to NOT have the depowered version of a motor - you are carrying the weight for the higher powered version but not getting the power.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:28   #26

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

I looked last spring no stock in my area of Alaska ended up with a Suzuki well built it was the smallest they offered. I sold it with the double ender on a kachemak inflatable. I would do it again heavy but put it on a davit or if your a leave it in the skiff type.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:29   #27

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Honda air cooled have taken a dive in quality the plant in China maybe IDK even the plastic feels cheaper now.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:34   #28

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

I've now had 2 tohatsu 6hp...
Both are not the easiest starters...
It takes a particular combination of no choke/choke/throttle to be reliable , which I've now got ✅
But it still gives me a spot of bother on occasion...
Add to that fuel starvation occasionally , not enuff fuel getting to the carb - I now have a brand new 6hp , so it can't be air leaks or blockages...
I've sound proofed the cover , and it's still noisy �� but you get used to it...
But I do like it...
The difference between the 5 and 6 is only the carb... Quite honestly , my tired old 5 was almost as good...
krissteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:58   #29

I have a 5 hp Nissan (Tohatsu) and 4 hp Tohatsu. The 5 is the same as the 6 with different carb and I bought it about 15 yrs ago. It gets used every couple weeks or months and has started on the 1st or 2nd pull everytime...except once when a carb linkage came loose. Easy five minute fix. It sits on a boat lift over saltwater and is never flushed. I run ethanol gas without treatment and always run the carb dry at end of day. The worst I can say is the single cyl is a vibrator. Otherwise virtually zero problems with this engine and why I bought the 4 in 2015.

I'm not a Honda outboard fan and think they are way overrated compared tp other brands. They have somewhat of a cult following. Making water in the crankcase (where Honda says the owner is idling too much and no factory corrective action) and corrosion being the main problems I've seen with larger engines. They are not popular in Florida, you rarely see them and outboard dealers far and few. I live on the ICW and get a pretty good view of boats and engine brands. Honda generators and cycles are a totally different animal.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 15:56   #30

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

I have the 6hp Tohatsu, never had a problem with it, even in freezing weather.
It does require choke to start, cold, warm, or just turned it off. Full choke.
Great motor.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda