Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 17:31   #46

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: best Dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dive View Post
When I bought my sailboat 3 years ago it came with a 10' Caribe RIB and an 18hp outboard motor. It has been fine for putting around the San Juan Islands but I am getting ready to head out and it seems like too much dingy and motor for offshore cruising. You could probably water ski behind it if you wanted to.
I was thinking of getting a wood or fiberglass sailing dinghy as it would be easier to get out of the water (lighter) and a lot of fun while anchored but not sure what size hull and motor to get. Would like to hear from people who have, or have had a sailing dinghy in the past that did extensive cruising with it.

Rick
Best one I've had is a Naples Sabot. Sailed well, rowed well and motored well but is small at 8'. El Toro is about the same thing only has a daggerboard instead of leeboard and it sails a bit better because of that.
Old 30-11-2013, 17:40   #47

Boat: PETERSON 44
I gave up hauling the motor back and forth. I still have the 8 hp Yamaha 2 stroke long shaft and a 4 hp 4 stroke Nissan and Achilles blow up. I found I am okay rowing. In the end it's not so bad. Keep the engine things cause I might one day decide to try it again. I should sell one of them. Anyone want to make an offer? Annapolis area.
Any way the reason is I built a nesting dink. Each half ways give or take 40 lbs. fit on deck. Rows better then inflatables and I don't have the engine gas problems.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, paracelle