Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2024, 14:23   #1

Towing dinghy from 25’ sloop

Question about towing an inflatable dinghy behind 25’ sailboat.. I assume my wake will be about 25’ back. I’ve understood that’s ideally the length of the tow with dingy riding on top of the wave and not surfing it. Does that length include the bridle or should I allow 25’ from the bridle to the stern? The bridle is about 6 feet (attached photo). I plan to run a floating line through the ring and attach to each of the stern cleats. Thank you !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1628.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	289296  
circa1971la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 21:18   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Towing dinghy from 25’ sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa1971la View Post
Question about towing an inflatable dinghy behind 25’ sailboat.. I assume my wake will be about 25’ back. I’ve understood that’s ideally the length of the tow with dingy riding on top of the wave and not surfing it. Does that length include the bridle or should I allow 25’ from the bridle to the stern? The bridle is about 6 feet (attached photo). I plan to run a floating line through the ring and attach to each of the stern cleats. Thank you !
Well, there are several assumptions there that I question! One, that your little sloop will make a big enough wake to be concerned about. Two, that such wake will be at any fixed distance behind your stern. Three, that the ocean waves and swell that surround your boat will not be the overriding factor in the way the dinghy behaves.

In our experience towing an inflatable at sea the biggest factor is the dink surfing on overtaking waves when sailing down wind. The dinghy can accelerate quickly, forming slack in the towing line, even overtaking the towing vessel. It will often, then, get quite sideways and be rolled, either by the next wave or by the tow line suddenly going tight and snatching the dink over... a bad outcome! The other factor is just simple yawing which can also lead to similar events.

Our solution is to tow a small drogue behind the dink, just enough drag to stabilize it and prevent surfing. Ours uses two cones made to the size recommended by the Jordan Series drogue folks and it does a fine job. We also run two separate tow lines, one to each side of the stern and coming from the central towing eye on the bow of the dink. This provides redundancy plus some degree of yaw resistance. This combination has kept our various dinghies upright through way too many miles of the bad practice of towing a dink in other than flat waters!

Good luck with it all!

Jim

PS We have not found that the distance behind makes much difference in practice, and have settled on about 15 feet... and yes, do use floating line!
Old 28-04-2024, 04:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I’m certain that most cruisers [& CF contributers] would/will advise to never tow a dinghy, except in the most benign conditions.
However, some of us have to contend with the realities of operating smaller boats, that cannot [easily] store a dink on deck [nor davits].

How far back should you tow a dinghy?
In calm water [waves <2Ft], about two waves back, with the dinghy on the back side of the second wave.
Start with the dinghy there, and watch its performance.
If it gets rougher, adjust the length of the towline, so that when the boat crests a wave, so does the dinghy. If you’re in the trough between waves, you want your dinghy in the trough too.

Towed dinghies require constant monitoring.

If you’re towing in close quarters, or inside a harbor, you’ll need to bring your dinghy close to your boat, to avoid causing problems with other vessels.

Be careful, when using polypropylene line, which is naturally buoyant, but it doesn’t hold knots, as well as nylon.

Always carry a knife in case you need to cut a line in an emergency.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 05:22   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Bad idea. A good friend(powerboater) lost his Boston Whaler crossing the Gulf stream two years ago. It broke the tow line like a piece of thread. Unless you're in very protected waters it's a bad idea. Good luck.
Rognvald
Old 28-04-2024, 07:50   #5

I towed 8 foot inflatable with 24 foot sailboat by tieing the bow to the top of the stern rail. This dinghy tail would fooat over tge following seas. Leave the bung out so rain and splash will drain.

Towing at a distance it will flip and become a sea anchor at the worst time.
azul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 09:27   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Gord is correct (as always)….

“If you’re in the trough between waves, you want your dinghy in the trough too.”

I only thing I learned in my towing endorsement class was to keep the towed vessel in step. It makes a big difference.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 09:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’m certain that most cruisers [& CF contributers] would/will advise to never tow a dinghy, except in the most benign conditions.
However, some of us have to contend with the realities of operating smaller boats, that cannot [easily] store a dink on deck [nor davits].

How far back should you tow a dinghy?
In calm water [waves <2Ft], about two waves back, with the dinghy on the back side of the second wave.
Start with the dinghy there, and watch its performance.
If it gets rougher, adjust the length of the towline, so that when the boat crests a wave, so does the dinghy. If you’re in the trough between waves, you want your dinghy in the trough too.

Towed dinghies require constant monitoring.

If you’re towing in close quarters, or inside a harbor, you’ll need to bring your dinghy close to your boat, to avoid causing problems with other vessels.

Be careful, when using polypropylene line, which is naturally buoyant, but it doesn’t hold knots, as well as nylon.

Always carry a knife in case you need to cut a line in an emergency.
My suggestion is dont tow a dingy unless you are in protected waters.
But Gord has it right here.
You need it far enough back so it doesn't surf down a wave and strike the mothership or try to pass the mother ship. That's the "2 waves back" Dont ask how I know this!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, sloop