Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2007, 11:38   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Trailer vs Car size/dinghy type

I just moved to within a 5 minute walk of the historic Charles River. As a result I have decided to buy a sailing dinghy. I am looking for suggestions on dinghy types. I want something small and light enough to either put on the roof of a car or on a small trailer. I also want something with decent topsides as I want to do some frostbiting (when the ice breaks up). I also require something with a jib because I will be doing a lot of sailing against wind/current.

This brings me to the second part of this question. I have a very small car, a Hyandai. Is there a limit to trailer size vs car size. Is there a size when it becomes illegal or impossible to rig trailer hitch?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 12:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
When you reach the legal size limit for a trailer it will no longer be a dinghy nor could you pull it with your small car. The legal limits are based on one size (check with the state DMV). If your small car can not pull it then the boat is also not a dinghy either. I wouldn't see any of that as a barrier for a sailing dinghy. They don't weigh that much and most would be around 20 ft or less.

I wouldn't think a car top sized dinghy would be that much fun. It would bascially be a sail board and you would need a wet suit. You may like sail boards! You might want a wet suit one any way. Hiking out over the water and just being in a dinghy means some water is flying around. You may not want to get wet but you easily could. In cold weather it would be foolish not to have a wet suit. You won't last long in 50 degree water. It will extend your sailing season by at least double or more.

If I could pick any dinghy I would probably get a 19 ft. Flying Scot. I have a Montgomery 8 ft Sailing dinghy. I use it mostly as a row boat tender. I wouldn't take it sailing in anything other than very fair weather. There are folks that race such things but if you want a true sailing dinghy why not get a modern one with some performace capabilities and something really fun to sail.

You might find a race club and do some class racing too or at least find others that sail the same boat you end up getting. Gives you more options.

The Fylying Scot is not heavy by any stretch (you do need a trailer) and you could handle the whole operation single handed. They can take a serious amount of wind and peform quite well plus you can take a passenger or two on a nice day sail. there are many other poular one design boats you might consider. Used might net a pretty good deal with all the accesories thrown in.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 13:29   #3

Thanks, I already have a wetsuit, I used to do a lot of surfing in the winter months...that is until I decided It really wasn't that much fun. With a sailboat I hope to spend at least some of my time out of the water.
Flying Scots seem so massive I looked on the sight and it said they were 1200 lbs, I can't really imagine handling that alone.
I have been looking at Oday Sprites, Widgeons, and Javelins anyone know anything about them?
Old 26-01-2007, 14:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Wel you don't have to lift it over your head

They run around on a small trailer just fine. Used you might get a whole rig around $3K - $4K. brand new they run around $14K. It's a popular boat for beginning sailing but lots of folks I know like them a whole lot.
Old 26-01-2007, 14:18   #5

One thing I liked about the flying scot web sight was that there was a button that said "order it now" like it was a book on amazon. I wish all sailboat shopping was that simple. It certainly is a little less daunting that yach world's "finance it" button. That is one button I hope to never hit...Hah!
Old 26-01-2007, 16:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I think the Oday Javalin is a good choice. Check out the Chrysler Buccaneer and Muntineer. You should get any of these for under a $1000. I think Catalina made a nice daysailor the Capri 14, might run a little more. There are so many to chose from. Flying Scots are nice but just to heavy. I think my 16 foot MFG (similar to a Buccaneer but with a bigger rig) comes in around 375 pounds. Up here in the north country X Boats and M, MC, and C Scows are very popular. I had a C Scow at one time and although they are quite fast the scows will pound something terrible in a chop.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 16:44   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
If you are thinking of racing the boat then you probably want to find out what fleets they have there on the Charles. Talk to any local sailing clubs or yacht clubs.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 17:25   #8

No Thanks, I dislike racing. Why would you try to race something that could under no circumstances be called fast? The only fast sailboat is the one on the trailor (Oh yeah and the one on the ice). I know a bunch of the guys on the umass team and they seem like nice enough dudes. But just not my bag.
Old 26-01-2007, 17:52   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ice boats! Now we are talking serious. Just a heck of a lot of ways to kill yourself fast. 60 mph on ice is a hoot.
Old 26-01-2007, 18:01   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Unbusted,
All that have been suggested are good. Universities usually have second hand Flying Juniors or 420s at a good price. They are fun 13.6' boats that have a jib and are really great performers. You can also fly a spinnaker if you so desire. As mentioned before Widgeons are pretty decent stable sailors but not quite so good on performance since they are 12s. I'd say most the boats with jibs require a trailer. Your little car will pull anything that you'll be looking at. If you come across an old Rebel 16 don't pass it up. They really are great little boats but are a bit on the heavy side.
Good luck,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 20:14   #11

I actually just found a cheap Widgeon that I think I am going to go with. I have heard that about the performance thing but don't care too much. I am a little concerned because I hear they are pretty bad on a beat. Now I have to begin the battle with the DMV over getting a trailer registered. The boat is in CT and I am in MA. Ewwww.

PBlais, a friend of mine just gave me a book called "Skate Sailing".
by Richard Friary. The whole book is about a sport where people sail the ice without a boat (skates and sail only). Talk about dangerous. Speeds up to 75MPH A apparent to true wind ratio if 2.5:1

I think I'll stick to Cruisers Forum this winter
Old 26-01-2007, 20:57   #12
Kai Nui

Just for fun.
Ice Boat
If, for some reason, you end up still looking, I would suggest a Lido 14 as a good option to sail where you plan to, and tow behind a car. One thing I did not see mentioned, front wheel drive is not conducive to towing.
Old 26-01-2007, 21:40   #13

Ice Cruisers Forum

you've gotta admit its got a ring to it.

If this weather holds up I will be taking up ice cruising. Thanks for the suggestions. With my luck I will be looking again soon. Seem to have the knack for getting blown off by sellers.

Oh and my car is about as two-wheeled as they come

Hyundai Motor America - 2007 Hyundai Accent Sedan
Old 26-01-2007, 22:24   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
From my experience towing with front wheel drive will present no problems with the smaller boats being considered. My 16 footer is absolutely no problem coming it at around 500 pounds including the trailer. I have towed my 2000 pound 22 footer with my Dodge Caravan 3.0 fwd shorter distances (100 miles)for winter storage but would not consider doing it for a long cross country trip. I have not tried using the Dodge to pull it up a ramp as I have doubts that it would be successful. . I like to keep the tongue weight at about 10% so 50 pounds has little effect on traction. The 200 pounds for the larger boat would create problems on a steep ramp.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 20:33   #15

Freakin yay!!!! You are talking to the proud new owner of a brand new second hand O'day Widgeon. Just bought it today. First boat I've ever owned.