Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 19:51   #61

Boat: PDQ 41
Re: Trying to pick my dinghy poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
I have had an F-Rib for 18 months and it ticks all the boxes. 3.30m and can take a 15hp outboard. I actually use it with an ePropulsion Spirit most of the time (speed limits in anchorages mean no need for more power) but can definitely recommend the dinghy Either way.
I am thinking of an FRib 330 with a 9,9 or 15. I also have a Torqueedo for short hops. Do you think a 9.9 is sufficient for 2/3 people to -lane?
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 20:26   #62

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

If you're looking at 4 strokes, the weight difference between a 9.9 and a 15 is not all that much, so why not go with the 15?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 22:58   #63

I was thinking of buying a 2 stroke, and would get a 15 if the boat would be happier witH it.
Old 19-06-2020, 04:34   #64

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
A generalisation I know, but why are North American Yotties who've been happy to sail the hundreds/thousands of miles at 5 or 6 knots to reach wherever, so insistent that they need a dinghy/outboard combi capable of blasting them the last half mile through the anchorage at twice that speed? Having shared innumerable Caribbean anchorages with such high-speed US/Canuck dinghies, we wondered what it was going to be like when we sailed the US east coast? We were amazed but pleased to discover that it was much quieter/slower; it seems that well policed local ordinances control dinghy speed most everywhere and nobody complains, but once they're overseas...

Our last dinghy was a 2.4m/8' Walker Bay Hypalon rib with a Mercury 3.3hp 2-stroke outboard; absolutely brilliant, will fit easily on the foredeck of a 35 footer, light - less than 110lb all up - to hoist aboard or up the beach and set it up right it will actually plane, though that rarely happened as the noise that it produced doing so was intolerable.
Not just North Americans. I upgraded from a 3.5hp engine to a 8hp and it's made a massive difference. Now longer do I have to crawl along at 4.5knts 2 up in the sun to do the shopping.

Going most places is quick and easy rather than being a chore.

In St Martin during lockdown, I know for some with the smaller engines and torqueedo, it was impossible to go and do their shopping and be back within the time limit of their waiver, as it took nearly an hour round trip with the tiny engine.

In many places, it's actually possible to get that close to the shore.

Being able to plan especially when two up is much drier.

The advantages are numerous and massive. The only drawback is the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Sailing is an adventure sport. I think it's interesting how much overlap in background there is among people for whom sailing is a significant part of their lives. Many are SCUBA divers, unsurprising perhaps because of the opportunity. Many are pilots, and like fast cars, and motorcycles, and mountain climbing, and skydiving, and whitewater kayaking.
In my mind unless you are racing sailing isn't a sport any more than riding your motorcycle or driving your car to the next town is a sport.

Cruising in a sailboat is about as physical as going to the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

I'd say it's more of a pleasure.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 04:45   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Not just North Americans. I upgraded from a 3.5hp engine to a 8hp and it's made a massive difference. Now longer do I have to crawl along at 4.5knts 2 up in the sun to do the shopping.

Going most places is quick and easy rather than being a chore.

In St Martin during lockdown, I know for some with the smaller engines and torqueedo, it was impossible to go and do their shopping and be back within the time limit of their waiver, as it took nearly an hour round trip with the tiny engine.

In many places, it's actually possible to get that close to the shore.

Being able to plan especially when two up is much drier.

The advantages are numerous and massive. The only drawback is the weight.

Unless you are racing sailing isn't a sport any more than riding your motorcycle or driving your car to the next town is a sport.

Cruising in a sailboat is about as physical as going to the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

The problem with large motors and fast tenders is fuel burn
Stored gasoline on a sailboat is dangerous and obnoxious
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 05:19   #66

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
The problem with large motors and fast tenders is fuel burn
Stored gasoline on a sailboat is dangerous and obnoxious
This is a strange one. No-one things the stored petrol in their car is dangerous. Nor when carrying or storing fuel in a jerry can at home, but in an outboard all of a sudden it's a danger.

What about the gases from a holding tank? There are scenarios too where they ignite, and the smell is certainly obnoxious
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 05:50   #67

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We have a 10' Spindrift nester and does fairly well under motor and rowing. Would think the Chameleon nester would be another candidate. Would consider either of these as 2 person boats w/gear

It runs fairly fast w/2 people and some gear (~10kts in flat water) w/a 5hp 2 stroke (44lbs). Like it much better than the several portabotes we have owned. We added padded firehose to make it nicer on the hull (the portabote left black marks).

Overall its a good design, but would make modifications to it if we were to build another.
1. Would add running strakes to help reduce the splash off the hull when going at higher speeds.
2. Add several inches more free board. Since I'm taller the added free board would make rowing easier (increase oarlock height) and secondly to increase payload capacity. With 2 people and provisions, fuel/water jugs, etc. equivalent to a 3rd person, the standard free board drops to a less than desirable amount in chop.

Bottom line these are fairly tough boats and easy to make. Could go w/a smaller motor than a 5hp and would work well, but sometimes feel the need for speed and the 5hp does it.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 06:35   #68

Boat: Rafiki 37

I like the idea of a nesting hard dinghy like the Spindrift. I just don't have any space to carry one. My cutter's fore deck is too small. I might be able to fit it between the mast and cockpit, but that would obstruct the view looking forward.

The portabote remains the best option I have yet found to have a dinghy which behaves much like a solid one, is fairly light, and is storable on deck. Having had a number of inflatables, I much prefer a hard bottom that can be rowed, and that moves efficiently with a small engine. I can even sail my portabote, although I find the light lateen rig to be more fun than functional.
Old 19-06-2020, 19:06   #69

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I am interested in snorkeling. I have a SCUBA certification, but I haven't used it in over 20 years. A self guided scuba trip is likely very high risk without a major refresher and current experience, but boarding from the water is likely to become more important. I had a Core Sound 17 from B&B, designers of the Spindrift, and visited their shop. I like their nester, but it is not optimized for my deck plan and usage. I am reasonably agile and could right and climb aboard the CS17 after a capsize, but clambering aboard even a bigger rigid dink when somewhat tired from snorkeling a bit may not be ideal. I know it can be done, even with a canoe, but recognizing this aspect has turned thinking away from non-inflatables due to their stability and ease of boarding from the water.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 19:17   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
I have had an F-Rib for 18 months and it ticks all the boxes. 3.30m and can take a 15hp outboard. I actually use it with an ePropulsion Spirit most of the time (speed limits in anchorages mean no need for more power) but can definitely recommend the dinghy Either way.
Are there any downsides to the FRib compared to an aluminum AB of the same size? Wetter?
Best,
Maldwin
Old 19-06-2020, 19:20   #71

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

They are probably heavier, they apparently only come in pvc, the tubes are a smaller diameter, and the hull is a shallow v.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 21:32   #72

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I am interested in snorkeling. I have a SCUBA certification, but I haven't used it in over 20 years. A self guided scuba trip is likely very high risk without a major refresher and current experience, but boarding from the water is likely to become more important. I had a Core Sound 17 from B&B, designers of the Spindrift, and visited their shop. I like their nester, but it is not optimized for my deck plan and usage. I am reasonably agile and could right and climb aboard the CS17 after a capsize, but clambering aboard even a bigger rigid dink when somewhat tired from snorkeling a bit may not be ideal. I know it can be done, even with a canoe, but recognizing this aspect has turned thinking away from non-inflatables due to their stability and ease of boarding from the water.

I made a simple outrigger and a stirrup for one of my canoes. I use it for SCUBA diving in certain places that are not accessible any other way. It is not difficult to climb aboard when it is in use. Plans and photos are at Scubaboard: https://www.scubaboard.com/community...roject.522142/

It would be easy enough to do something similar for a dinghy if necessary although they are inherently much more stable.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 03:50   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
If you're convinced that your boat is the right boat to explore the south pacific with, then how about an F-rib? You could store it in it's valise in front of the mast. I think they only come in pvc, but maybe a nice set of chaps will do well enough for protection.
Hi Guys,

So here's the response I got back from the Managing Director of F-RIB.
http://foldablerib.com/

Pretty cool, I think.

LittleWing77

Firstly just to clarify, Hypalon was a material manufactured by Du Pont. This had a very high lead content and primarily for ethical reasons they stopped producing that material over 10 years ago. Some boat dealers still use the name ‘Hypalon’ when they are in fact referring to Chlorosulphonated Polyethylene(CSM), which has a slightly different formula.

In general CSM is still considered to be a more robust solution with regards to UV resistance when compared to most PVC fabrics, however we use a special blend called Mirasol which has UV inhibitors built in and the performance characteristics are very similar to a good quality CSM. Mirasol has the added advantages of being much lighter and therefore more portable. It also has built in mould inhibitors which maintain the finish in a way that CSM never could and finally Mirasol will not develop a memory, so it can be left folded for extended periods and folded and unfolded as often as desired without ever causing creases.

While CSM is a very good material for building RIBs, It is for these reasons that we feel Mirasol is a better material for building FRIBs.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 06:04   #74

Boat: Morgan 382

I can share my experience the past 2 years, and what I have decided for the future.

I had a roll-up 8' PVC dingy, which I stowed on the foredeck in it's bag. With an electric pump, it was convenient to inflate, and didn't take up much space rolled up.

I envied those with larger, faster dinghies. It really limited what I could do, and I was always getting soaked in anything but the flattest anchorages. The PVC lasted about a year before it showed signs of wear, and by 2 years was completely done, repairable.

Much of the damage was a result of it getting wet while in it's bag. The bag is not waterproof, and the glue rots and it came apart at the seams. So if you go with PCV, you need to keep it dry, below deck.

I am probably going to replace it with a hypalon aluminum floor model, the largest I can fit on my foredeck deflated. A 9 or 10 foot model is only 7 or 8 feet deflated. I made a couple passages with my old 8' dinghy inflated on the foredeck, and even leaving no space up there it was no big deal. As soon as you arrive at your destination, it goes in the water.

I also had a kayak on the side deck. Again not a big deal, and I wouldn't go cruising without one. Some friends used inflatable Kayaks and that would be an option also, they worked well.
Old 20-06-2020, 06:35   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

when I first started cruising, I had a 9' fiberglass rowing/sailing dink strapped diagonally over the back cabin (center cockpit boat), it was not ideal, but I managed. It was powered by a 3 hp outboard. It was a displacement type dink, so a larger engine was a waste of time. From there I stepped up to the foldable inflatable with the plywood floors and a variety of different motors from 8 to 15 hp. No matter what engine was on there the floors wanted to " fold up"once you got going, but it did perform adequately, and once deflated, I could roll it up and stow it on deck. The 15 hp was a bit to much for that dink, the 8 hp better.
No question, a RIB is the way to go, small one's are available, that could be stowed on the foredeck, use a halyard to bring it aboard.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy