Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 17:38   #16

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Trying to purchase a Walker Bay Genisis 310

I'm considering one of these. All of these as well:

Achilles ~ HB315AX
Caribe ~ C10
Walker Bay ~ 310FTD
AB ~ 9VS or 10VS

The folding transom on a RIB is the thing that set off my bell. It just seemed counter-intuitive. But with a ten year warranty...WTH?

Have quote requests in to a couple vendors. Will see what they come back with.

With due respect to those that posted about their problems, unless I missed something, they were all soft bottoms?

First question to them would be: Do you deflate it and roll it up to store it on passage or for any length of time at all?

I have an 8'6" soft bottom. It developed leaks after I rolled it up...repeatedly. After the third time I got it to quit leaking, I kept it inflated. Now been up for almost two years, and still holds air great. But the joint from the transom to the tubes has failed (too much sun)...I ride in 4" of water all the time. Don't even bother to put in the plug...

Some kind of "fix" coming to get it sold...

Seems to me that SIB's have some inherent problems regardless of the manufacturer.

Would be good (for me, anyway) to hear from someone that has a rigid bottom, folding transom, regardless of age, and their experience.

Think it's very germane to differentiate between the soft and rigid bottom for the original poster (and me) in regards to experience.

Of note is, though it seems that on the rigid bottom, you can find on an internet search, a reference to a fixed transom in this model, I've not been able to find that it's still available.

Anybody have one of these (Walker Bay) folding transom, rigid bottom boats? Would be good to here from you.

Regards
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 19:19   #17
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I have an opportunity to purchase a new 2011 Genisis 310, folding transom, Hypalon for $3000. The same dealer quoted roughly $3750 for the same model but 2013 vintage. I am having a difficult time deciding between those two options and adding to the problem is the concern that older Genisis models seem to be more likely to have issues with defects (although to be fair that seemed to only be an issue in the early days of the Genisis).
There are a couple of other issues I thought about - how easy is it to repair the plastic rigid bottom on these in case one wears through from beaching and stuff and also, this 2011 model was off-white and I am curious if that would make it difficult to keep clean compared to a gray version (if available)

Thoughts ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 23:48   #18

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
I have the shorter Folding transom Walker Bay Genesis, and I've used it regularly for about 4 years. I've had two cosmetic issues - the paint has peeled off the aluminum transom, and the Genesis logos that are glued to the tube have deteriorated and gotten gooey - some sort of UV breakdown maybe?

the boat performs well with a 10 HP 4-stroke, and I don't find any problems with the folding transom. It does store well on deck. I like the boat and will eventually buy another like it.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 05:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post

A carton of XXXX beer!! We are anchored about 6 miles downstream of the brewery.... dinghy over (in your hard dinghy) whenever you are ready, mate!
Is second prize 2 cartons of XXXX beer?
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 07:50   #20

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybo View Post
With due respect to those that posted about their problems, unless I missed something, they were all soft bottoms?

First question to them would be: Do you deflate it and roll it up to store it on passage or for any length of time at all?

Would be good (for me, anyway) to hear from someone that has a rigid bottom, folding transom, regardless of age, and their experience.

Think it's very germane to differentiate between the soft and rigid bottom for the original poster (and me) in regards to experience.

Of note is, though it seems that on the rigid bottom, you can find on an internet search, a reference to a fixed transom in this model, I've not been able to find that it's still available.

Anybody have one of these (Walker Bay) folding transom, rigid bottom boats? Would be good to here from you.

Regards

As far as I know, all WB Genesis models have rigid plastic hulls, Certainly our 310 FTD does. The "non-deluxe" Genesis models also have a rigid hull but there are diffrecnes in storage or internal flooring, etc.

-Chris
Old 28-03-2013, 08:06   #21

Boat: Able 50

My Genesis deluxe has a hard bottom and a false floor too so your feet stay drier.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase