Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 11:32   #16

Boat: Irwin sloop
Re: Two dinghies clamped together

Dave22q has the solution. It is elegant in its simplicity and efficiency and has worked perfectly for at least 100 years or more.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 13:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Complex solution to a non problem. If your dinghy capsizing under tow is not a rare event change whatever you are doing to cause it. My guess is that you need to adjust your tow line to the wave conditions.
Ok I have to ask. Where on earth do you guys sail where towing a dingy is a viable option? On a windless lake?

I can't think of many places on the Australian coast where one would consider it as a viable proposition. Certainly not without an automatic bilge pump fitted .
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 15:15   #18

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

fit flotation/ self drain /tow 6 if you need them
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 15:45   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

There are a few super yachts in the 150ft range whose owners want a large fast tender (+30ft) for diving and fishing.

They tow them all over the world.

These tenders weigh a few tons in themselves, so it is all about stability and chafing gear
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 16:03   #20

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

I think that if you are serious about cruising you would never dream about towing a dinghy.
After many years on a 8 meter sloop I managed to "fit" my dinghy upside down on the foredeck over the forward hatch. It kept the rain out on a rainy night. Allowed me to keep the hatch open on a tropical night and (when opened like a crocodile jaw) forced air through the boat on a humid hot night.
Using oars to keep me fit and hoisting with a halyard were easy enough. Keep it light and simple.
Look carefully at the picture on the top of your screen CF logo, second boat from the right, to see what I mean.
Anyway, a towed dinghy is a hassle when trying to haul in Spanish Mackerel or Dorado while under sail.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 18:31   #21

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Ok I have to ask. Where on earth do you guys sail where towing a dingy is a viable option? On a windless lake?

I can't think of many places on the Australian coast where one would consider it as a viable proposition. Certainly not without an automatic bilge pump fitted .
I have always thought towing a dingy was asking for trouble. Looking back at the original post it doesn't appear the OP wants two he's just trying to solve the flip and swamp problem. My solution was buy one that fits on the foredeck. Deflate while sailing, inflate when needed. I sail on Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts I wouldn't want to cross from New Bedford to Woods Hole because wind and waves are always changing. With any kind of weather towing a dingy is dangerous IMHO.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 20:10   #22

Boat: Com Pac 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Steve Callaghan produced the "CLAM" dingy which clamped gunnel to gunnel.

I understand its no longer in production , but he now has a new version. http://www.stevencallahan.net/images...signs/frib.pdf

Looks like some characteristics of the clam survived.

Sitting in his life raft for so long certainly gave him time to think.
This is very close to what I'm thinking of.
DsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 20:26   #23

Boat: Com Pac 27

Update for those who think this is silly.

My wife and I just closed on our sailboat this morning (27 footer). So not a lot of experience here. I've sailed open hull boats and other people's boats on the Great Lakes. I've seen many towed dinghies on the lakes.

What I want to accomplish (while cruising the Great Lakes) is to transport two folding bicycles to and from shore. I also don't want to store the bikes on the boat and thought perhaps if I built such a dinghy they could just stay in the clam shell capsule when underway. The weight of the two bikes strapped to the bottom of one half would help keep it stable.

So perhaps I'm over thinking this. How would experienced cruisers manage this on a 27 foot boat?
DsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 20:49   #24

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The foredeck option will be a challenge on a 27 footer, but worth exploring, except then where do the bikes go. I manage this at 32' but only have one bike and no wife to transport.

Towing may be only option. Tow line length is the key. But still even with two bikes in the dinghy (secured) I'd consider a watertight cover, if that's even possible, over two dighys to manage.

Don't buy expensive bikes.

I have towed offshore one time, and my first time travelling offshore six years ago. Line length right, everything hunky dory all day long. Swell on the beam. Then turned to go in south of Ancloe Key to anchor so swell was astern and not big. But the little boat was swamped within fifteen minutes. With floatation, I towed it awash to the anchorage. Then put a couple of fenders under it to get the gunnels up, and bailed it out.

Maybe a tow line adjustment was in order, don't know. Haven't tried it since.
Old 14-09-2016, 07:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
There are a few super yachts in the 150ft range whose owners want a large fast tender (+30ft) for diving and fishing.

They tow them all over the world.

These tenders weigh a few tons in themselves, so it is all about stability and chafing gear
I can't say as I hang out on a lot of 150' super yachts so they may do this but the ones I've seen either crane them on deck, have a garage in the stern or have a utility ship that follows them around with the tender.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 11:04   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I can't say as I hang out on a lot of 150' super yachts so they may do this but the ones I've seen either crane them on deck, have a garage in the stern or have a utility ship that follows them around with the tender.
Yes...those are the normal solutions and much preferred.

However, if you want to use a 5 to 6 ton 32 ft exploration tender, they need the yacht to be around 220ft to store on board.

That is quite an exponential increase in purchase and operational costs and often too big for a low key owner and Captain who wants to be able to explore remote locations and berth at smaller ports for provisions..

Towing a big tender is becoming more common for the smaller Superyacht, that explores the Pacific.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote