Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 06:18   #31

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
Re: Using the boom as a crane - sliding track

For capnrasta and others interested. Photos and explanation of how we lift our 600 lb RIB onto the foredeck. Not sure if I've attached this right? Let me know if you can reach the file - the photos don't appear in the "post a thread" screen.

TMT2

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.png[/IMG]Lifting a heavy RIB onto the foredeck.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image003.jpg[/IMG]
We have a Gulfstar M53 Ketch. We considered many options to lift our heavy RIB onto the foredeck for passage-making. Our goal was to be safe but economical using as much of our organic equipment as possible. The photo above is of our vessel in Beaufort NC with the RIB on the foredeck after passage up the east Coast from Tampa. Our final solution is shared here:

Our 10 ft RIB with its driver's console, Yamaha 25HP 4-stroke, Battery and 10 gal tank weigh in at around 600 lbs.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image005.jpg[/IMG]
We have a “seldom used” but beefy aluminum 26ft spinnaker pole which we engineered some additional "kit" to lift the RIB safely onto the deck.

After much experimenting with our problem we recommend two key pieces of equipment to make this job as easy as possible – keeping in mind that (at a minimum) this could be a 1-person operation (in calm water):
1. Dinghy transom wheels - important when rolling the RIB into position on deck (as well as on the beach). Great investment – “Beachmaster” aluminum, removable, fold-down, pneumatic tires – allows us to position the RIB on deck and then “roll” it into its final resting place on the cradle cushions. Cost – about $180.00

2. Dinghy deck cradle cushions - which can be removed and stored when the RIB is in the water - keeps the deck nice and clear. These are high impact foam “v-shaped” cushions that “cradle” the RIB on deck and distribute weight. Cost – about $200.00 (but these can certainly be made).[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image007.jpg[/IMG]

3. 12V ATV 2000lb winch with a “trailer hitch ball mount plate” and 2 x U-Bolts. Cost – about $130.00.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image009.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image011.jpg[/IMG]
Summary: Although we have a heavy-duty set of hydraulic davits – we will not risk hanging the RIB on the stern off-shore. Our set up is versatile enough to adapt to most sailing vessels of this size. Engineering research showed us that the “structural” key to the lift operation is the strength of the crane base (spinnaker pole knuckle) where it attaches to the main mast and the load rating of the topping lift (spare halyard). The length/angle of the spinnaker pole(crane) is also important (too short makes reach, pole stress and lift angle a problem).

Some custom set up requirements:
We replaced our aluminum spinnaker pole "base-swivel" with a custom fabricated stainless steel knuckle replacement - this is the strength of the system. I actually “bent” the aluminum knuckle on my first lift experiment! Spend the money – stainless is better! (Cost – about $700.00)
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image013.jpg[/IMG]

We use 9/16 double-braid on the spinnaker topping lift (spare halyard) and on the lifting line.

Here's how we lift her on deck - I have done this alone…but we advise 2 people for a safe operation:

Step 1: Set up the deck, tools and dinghy cradle cushions.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image015.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image017.jpg[/IMG]

Step 2: Extend and rig the spinnaker pole for lifting (from here on we refer to the spinnaker pole as the “crane”).
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image019.jpg[/IMG]
a. Rig the base end of the crane with the 12V 2000 lb winch. We use an ATV winch purchased at Tractor Supply for about $130.00. Our current winch has a steel cable – which we prefer not to turn through a block (more explanation later). We wanted the winch to be “removable” so that we could restore the spinnaker pole to its stowed position against the mast and use the winch for other things (like kedging). We use galvanized U-Bolts (Lowes) to secure a “tow hitch style winch mounting plate” to the underside of the spinnaker pole once it is deployed. We tapped “stop bolts” around the base of the pole to serve as the “bite” for the U-Bolts. Simply pull the winch out of its storage bag; mount and move on to rigging the “lifting end” of the crane.
b. Rig the lifting end of the pole with a sturdy block. At the “lifting end” we attach 2 x galvanized clevis and a D-Ring (each). The spare halyard (topping lift) is connected to the top ring and a sturdy block (with a quick-opening face) is connected to the bottom D-Ring…this will be the “pulley” for the vertical lift operation.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image021.jpg[/IMG]
c. Attach a crane-swing control line to the working end (at the block) to control horizontal swing. A “control line” is connected to the top D-Ring and secured on deck to facilitate the “swing” movement onto the deck once the RIB is lifted above the life lines.

d. Free-spool the winch cable out to the pole-side of the block (this will provide up to 26 feet of lift).
***Note: our winch has a steel cable - we do not run this through the block***
e. Run a lifting line (9/16 double braid) of appropriate length to reach the RIB lift bridle apex as the RIB sits in the water alongside.
***Note: This is the line we run through the block***
- one end with a d-ring connects to the winch snap hook on the winch side of the block
- other end has a snap hook to connect to the RIB lifting bridle.
f. Raise the crane working end (using the topping lift on a manual mast winch) and cleat it firmly when the lifting line is positioned over the RIB (in the water)
***Note: The angle of the crane will depend on the boat - idea is to lift straight up so RIB will clear the mother-ship gunnel by a few inches***
***Note: We set up to clear by only a few inches to keep the RIB as far back on the deck when we swing it over the lifelines.***
Step 3: Prepare the RIB for lift:
a. Place the RIB bow and stern lines on the RIB so you can reach them when the lift brings the RIB above the lifelines.
b. Raise the RIB motor to full-up position.
c. Attach the RIB lift bridle (we use a 3-point rig).
d. Attach the crane lift line snap hook to the RIB lift bridle.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image023.jpg[/IMG]

Step 4: Lift the RIB to clear lifelines.
Step 5: Diagram 1 - Swing crane/RIB to mother-ship center-line. (chose diagram instead of a video - to be filmed later).
Step 6: Lower dinghy transom wheels.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image025.png[/IMG]
Step 7: Lower RIB with winch onto deck where dinghy transom wheels make contact with deck.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image027.jpg[/IMG]

Step 8: Position dinghy deck cradle Bow cushion under RIB.
***Note: On our boat - the RIB arrives (on the swing) too far forward of the desired resting position - hence the transom wheels permit us to roll it back into place***
Step 9: Lower RIB (with crane winch) onto 2 points of contact (Bow cushion and transom wheels) and ensure it is stable. Then, relieve cradle/lift tension on the winch.
Step 10: Release forward (bow) dinghy bridle (leave the two stern legs connected to the lift line/crane).
Step 11: Manually lift RIB bow and roll the RIB into final position on the deck.
Step 12: Raise the crane (manual winch – no pressure on bridle) to appropriate height/angle to lift RIB stern directly up in its final position so you can place the center and stern cradle cushions underneath.
Step 13: Raise the stern of the RIB (with the remaining bridle legs connected) and position the center and stern cradle cushions.
Step 14: Disconnect and stow all crane/Spinnaker pole gear and secure RIB for passage.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image029.jpg[/IMG]

Lifting from the deck to the water: Getting the RIB from the deck into the water has some minor operational differences – mainly dealing with crane angle. When lifting from the deck into the water – the RIB must first be moved “forward” to permit enough crane “angle” clearance to clear the gunnel on lowering to the waterline.

Disclaimer: We most often elect to lift the RIB at the dock for maximum stability/safety. We have done this in a calm anchorage - but expect boat movement to be intensified which will cause “swing” during the lift. We recommend lifting at anchor be a 2 (or more) person operation (when not at the doc
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:31   #32

capnrasta - I have created a word doc with photos as you requested - but its too big to post on CF. Send me PM with email address and I will shoot it to you. If a forum monitor could weigh in and help me post a word doc with photos that users can "zoom" into - it'd be appreciated? Unfortunately, I did not film the "lift" due to lack of spare hands but will do so next time I put her back into the water.

TMT2
Old 09-11-2015, 07:32   #33

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Why a word doc?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:23   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
attached this right? Let me know if you can reach the file - the photos don't appear in the "post a thread" screen.

TMT2

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.png[/IMG]Lifting a heavy RIB onto the foredeck.
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image003.jpg[/IMG]
You can't embed a picture on your computer using the "Insert Image" button. You have to do it as an attachment.

When creating/editting your post, scroll down below the "Submit Reply" button to "Additional Options". There you will see "Attach files" and a button which says "Manage Attachments".

Click the button and a window will appear whihcl lets you browse for image files in your computer using the "Browse" button and upload them as attachments to your post using the "Upload" button.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:10   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You can't embed a picture on your computer using the "Insert Image" button. You have to do it as an attachment.

When creating/editting your post, scroll down below the "Submit Reply" button to "Additional Options". There you will see "Attach files" and a button which says "Manage Attachments".

Click the button and a window will appear whihcl lets you browse for image files in your computer using the "Browse" button and upload them as attachments to your post using the "Upload" button.
I was also having a problem with attaching photos just yesterday. I'm using an iPad Air with latest OS. I had done as you wrote above. I find the images OK. Then I click ( touch) the "upload" button. I get a message saying something like "please wait, uploading photos" and after a wait it tells me 298 mb jepeg. Then it all disappears and I'm left with the empty beginning again.
The photos I tried with were 8 mp jpegs from a phone. I tried 3 images first and when that didn't work I tried 1 image with the same result. I had previously tried with the same result a month or so back.
Do I need to use a computer instead of iPad??
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 16:50   #36

Boat: CSY/Gulfstar 50 "Rasta Mama"

TMT2

That is a fantastic narrative and sounds like exactly what I may have to do.

I would love to see the photos.

BY "PM" is presume you mean by private email, but how do I contact you?

Do I post my email address here or?

Capnrasta
wagerfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 17:03   #37

Capnrasta...select my username on this thread and send me a private message with your email address..meanwhile I will figure out out to share with the forum members interested.

TMT2

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-11-2015, 04:38   #38

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I have a spare heavy duty 17 ft spinnaker pole and a couple of these ATV winches, brand new, that I would be happy to sell.