Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2023, 12:03   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 37
Send a message via Skype™ to Ribe16
Vane size for windvane

Hello everybody.

I just bought a boat that has a windvane installed, but couldn't find the vane for it anywhere. If I make one myself:

1. Which materials should I use and which ones avoid?
2. What would be a good size for a 8.5 ton 37 feet full keek boat?

Thanks a lot.
Ribe16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:21   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Vane size for windvane

It would probably be helpful to know which windvane manufacturer it is as well as what system...trim tab, servo pendulum, ect. Pictures also.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 15:31   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 37
Send a message via Skype™ to Ribe16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It would probably be helpful to know which windvane manufacturer it is as well as what system...trim tab, servo pendulum, ect. Pictures also.
It's a Fleming (out of business), should be Global Offshore 401 or 501
Manual only says use 4mm birch marine grade plywood for vane, no measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	279203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	279204  

Ribe16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 16:07   #4

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

My windpilot pacific of very similar designs vane is approx 34" × 8" of the material you mentioned.
Boat Size, weight has nothing to do with it.
It needs to balance the offset weight where it attaches. The weight of the vane most important, too heavy vane fall to side on its own. To light could lose light air sensitivity.
Size wise, tall is good but with clear air and good wind anything close to that size would work.
I'm 2 days out of Hawaii to CA writing this watching mine work.
Make a couple different sized ones.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 16:26   #5

Wind pilot is correct in proper balance is required on the vane. I used a Fleming for several years and it did a great job. If my memory serves me the Fleming had the counter weights on threads so they can be adjusted. It’s not a bad idea to attach a long ribbon on the trailing edge of the vane as that excites the vane in lighter air and can improve performance. Servo pendulum vanes are manufactured differently even though they all operate using similar principles and the vane sizes vary from different manufactures…for example the vane size of the Cape Horn vane is half the size of most others and that simply demonstrates how little friction there is in the system. Wind pilots numbers are an ok place to start, it’s not rocket science.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 19:15   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

It is less about the size, and more about balance. It needs to always return to vertical on it's own. A larger vane works better in light air both because it is larger, and because being heavier it takes less wind to overcome the counter balance.

The Monitor ships with 2 sizes to experiment with what one works better. So if making my own, for any brand, I would do that, make 2, one that seems a bit small, and one that seems a bit large. Then adjust them if necessary.
Old 05-08-2023, 21:41   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribe16 View Post
It's a Fleming (out of business), should be Global Offshore 401 or 501
Manual only says use 4mm birch marine grade plywood for vane, no measurements.
Thanx for the update. Windpilot hit the nail on the head. balance is everything. When making the air vane, start with it longer and trim down. That said, disconnect the rod from the "bellcrank" which is the mechanism that rotates the water oar. Being too long, it should just flop over to one side or the other...hence out of balance. here is the trick with each manufacturers design...some have adjustable counterweights, others do not. The trick is to make it sensitive by making sure it stands on its own but not too sensitive. Also varnish or paint the air vane so it does not warp.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size, wind, windvane