Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 12:07   #76

Re: What Actually Happens If You Oversize The Dinghy Outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And with this revelation, KISS, you might begin to understand the popularity of inflatable dinghies in smaller (and larger for that matter) cruising vessels.

There is a very good reason that the vast majority of serious cruisers use inflatables in one form or another for their tenders...

Jim
I appreciate that, but they're sacrificing durability and rowing/sailing ability.

That's why I want the rigid dink, if at all possible to stow safely on passages.

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:33   #77

Boat: Scout 30

You might consider a nesting dinghy.
PT Eleven Nesting Dinghy home page
Eastport Nesting Pram
Fast-sailing, Ultra-light Take-Apart Dinghy That You Can Build!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 14:10   #78

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Every boat is a collection of compromises & dinghies are no exception. While a lot of cruisers use inflatables I'm not sure there are any statistics indicating it's a "vast" majority or a majority at all. We've got both & I prefer our Bauer 10 because it rows & sails very well while the Admiral prefers the Avon because it's unsinkable. Our 2hp Honda pushes both dinghies with no problem.
Scout, you should note that my statement involved "serious cruisers". Once one gets away from weekenders and nearby marinas, I believe that there is indeed a vast majority who use inflatables of some sort. Not everyone, of course, and I suppose that in other areas besides the Mexico-South Pacific venue things could be different, but in that area I've consistently observed just w hat I said: most folks use some form of inflatable.

Each to their own, and the joys of a good rowing/sailing dinghy are not to be denied... I had one myself years ago and enjoyed it a lot. But, it was hard to stow and failed in the workhorse role of a cruiser's dink. I've not owned one since we left SF to go cruising.

Jim
Old 22-04-2016, 14:30   #79

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

This is always a blurry line for me, where does the sailor stop and the cruiser begin.

I think historically, some very serious cruisers were purist sailors, but on the far cruising end of the spectrum cruising sailboats have become conveyances first and sailboats second. While many purist sailors, don't cruise at all.

I traded my inflatable and motor for a sailing hard shell, not because it was better for beer runs, but because my mother ship was, primarily a conveyance. if I wanted to get out for a light hearted sail, I could take the dink, if I wanted to get some where, the mother ship.

There's no doubt, rubber duckies are the Toyota Corolla of the boat world. But whether one should select a boat for form over function or function over form is a personal and philosophical question, not simply a matter of what's right and what's wrong.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 17:18   #80

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And with this revelation, KISS, you might begin to understand the popularity of inflatable dinghies in smaller (and larger for that matter) cruising vessels.

There is a very good reason that the vast majority of serious cruisers use inflatables in one form or another for their tenders...

Jim
Ive gone down the hard dinghy road twice. I completely agree with Jim, look at the percentage of inflatables vs hard.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 17:36   #81

Percentage? Reminds me of middle school. All the cool kids have Nike sneakers so I need them too. If that's how you prefer to chose your boats all the power to you.

I chose a boat based on how it meets my needs and don't really give a hens fart how well it suits somebody else's needs.

I enjoy dinghy sailing, so I have a sailing dinghy, even though I'm aware more beer can be carried in less time in a 20 HP RIB.

Old 22-04-2016, 17:40   #82

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
Percentage? Reminds me of middle school. All the cool kids have Nike sneakers so I need them too. If that's how you prefer to chose your boats all the power to you.

I chose a boat based on how it meets my needs and don't really give a hens fart how well it suits somebody else's needs.

I enjoy dinghy sailing, so I have a sailing dinghy, even though I'm aware more beer can be carried in less time in a 20 HP RIB.

You missed my point. But your entitled to your opinion. Enjoy your sailing.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 17:56   #83

All too often opinion is represented as fact on this forum.
Old 22-04-2016, 19:38   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
You missed my point. But your entitled to your opinion. Enjoy your sailing.

No, I got your point, but you're on a Walker Bay thread saying hard shell dinghies are wrong.

Presumably because they don't carry cargo and passengers in varying weather conditions as well as an inflatable with a motor.

Okay, they don't.

Inflatables are also heavy, extremely inefficient, slow, expensive and high maintenance.

Old 22-04-2016, 21:28   #85

Sorry I do not agree with ungvar.
Inflatables are also heavy, extremely inefficient, slow, expensive and high maintenance.
I am 60yrs old and had lots of different types of dingys in my life. I agree with others here, that say that you have to choose your purpose, that you want it for.
I prefer a hard bottom inflatable,alloy or grp.
In my humble opinion they are light,efficent,fast(easily driven),cheap and low maintenance.
As I said earlier one of the ones I had (for local cruising) was a 2.4 alloy RIB with a 3 hp Yamaha.It would be stable carrying 4 people and bags as a water taxi and with one person in it, would get on the plane.My kids loved it.I could lift it up onto the bow of the boat by myself and it was easy to manhandle.
Took a boat offshore one time and had a (cant remember brand) double bottomed grp inflatable.Being a double bottom,it was heavier that a single bottom. Had another 3hp yamaha that would get it around the place ok, and if I wanted to go further had a 8hp Yamaha that would get that one on the plane easy.
But as a sailing dingy would never work.
Horses for courses.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 21:54   #86

That's what I said, chose your dinghy for your needs, not what cruising world says your needs are.

Old 22-04-2016, 23:08   #87

This is like an argument about whether a cheeseburger is better than a chicken sandwich. One says serious eaters choose cheeseburgers. The other says to each his own & I prefer chicken sandwiches. The truth is we'd all get tired of eating the same sandwich every day. You need both!
Old 23-04-2016, 07:43   #88

Boat: Coast 30

Hello again.

I say ...I say...hard to think this thread would stretch to six pages? The original question was very specific about what would happen IF you over power an 8 foot walker bay dinghy other wise known as a WB8........I thought we answered that in adequate detail several pages ago?

So why has this gotten off topic into squabbles over what type of dinghy is best? when do we reach the point of case closed and move on to more important matters?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 08:07   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
Alright, well that might be a problem...

But if you keep the throttle down, that would prevent this from happening?
this might have been pointed out, I'm not going to read all of these post's. Your name, KISS, an acronym for "keep it simple stupid" , no insult intended. You're worried about bogging down so you run your 4 hp at half throttle,right? or buy the 2 hp for far less money and run full throttle. Seems simple to me. I recently bought a new Suzuki 2.5 dl, 29 lb, 4 stroke, water cooled with F/N transmission, built in Japan, not china, for less than a thousand. It planes my 12' hard dink as long as I'm not load to the gills.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 08:20   #90
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Hello again.

I say ...I say...hard to think this thread would stretch to six pages? The original question was very specific about what would happen IF you over power an 8 foot walker bay dinghy other wise known as a WB8........I thought we answered that in adequate detail several pages ago?

So why has this gotten off topic into squabbles over what type of dinghy is best? when do we reach the point of case closed and move on to more important matters?

This is just an overall observance coastalexplorer and not meant to be a personal response to you. But I think this board is full of threads on tons of topics and the ability for any member to start new ones at any time. I've really never understood why a thread can not drift into another topic and how it is an annoyance to some any more than when I sit in a cockpit with friends and the discussion of dinghies has segued into radars that I don't have the urge or need to say "Well, I gotta go now" Life is always a series of zigging and zagging and going with the flow. Usually, for me personally, when a topic or a thread is either an annoyance or I'm bored of it, I believe the right choice is to extract myself from it, not expect the others to conform to what I deem appropriate. But then again, those that know me know I'm quirky.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard, size