Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2011, 06:20   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Where to Locate Dinghy, The END

It's done, and it was easy.
The tender is on deck .
And will stay there, no davits.
Thank you all for the advises
Old 28-04-2011, 07:05   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
It's done, and it was easy.
The tender is on deck .
And will stay there, no davits.
Thank you all for the advises
Well done, Mate! Glad it worked out for you. Good sailing/dinghying.

Cheers,
Old 28-04-2011, 09:31   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Re: Where to Locate Dinghy

One more voice, FWIW: I have custom davits (fabricated by a local metalworker in the islands) made up from heavy-walled polished aluminum tubing. Large backing plates at all attachment points. They are cross linked for stability by a framework on which I mount my solar panels.
Dink is a 10.5 foot AB "Lumina" aluminum-hulled RIB. Motor is 15 hp. Yamaha 2-stroke. Fuel tank is 6 gal. We raise the entire dink, motor, tank and all onto the davits and secure it in place using small fenders between it and the transom and pulling it in tightly with trucker's load straps with stainless hooks and ratchets (purchased at a highway truckstop) set up so that the straps pull in an "X" pattern to prevent swinging or side-to-side movement. Hoisting is via. a simply 3-part block and tackle (3 sheaves on one block, two on the other). System has been foolproof for 6 years now. 10-12 foot swell with 3-4 foot chop on top is typical conditions. Occasionally the prop on the outboard kisses the top of a really big sea if we are heeled to port, but never had a problem as the motor is lashed in place as well. Raising and lowering can be done single-handed in 5 min. Makes it real easy to move from place to place and also provides quick, easy night-time security. (I do occasionally tow the dink if we're only going a very short distance in calm conditions.)
All that said, if we were making a true blue water passage I would stow the dink on deck with the motor on a rail bracket (we do have a lifting arm on the wind generator pole).
Also, we have a very high, relatively flat transom.
Only minor problem is that if the dink is in the davits it blocks access to the transom-mounted swim platform and ladder.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 09:55   #34

Boat: 1989 44' Irwin
Send a message via Yahoo to funset2001

I have davits, but a bad experience taught me to put My 10' Boston Whaler copy which is pretty heavy dingy on deck using the spare halyard. When I cruise I could never figure out what to do with my fenders, so I put them under each corner and the extras under the dinghy. As a spare I have a 9' avon roll-up in a bag rolled up tied to the stern rail. My davits on this boat are strong enough and high enough to carry a dinghy. But I won't.
funset2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 10:55   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well done, Mate! Glad it worked out for you. Good sailing/dinghying.

Cheers,
Thank you!!

By the way after the changing of the batteries and the new fridge compressor The Admiral wanted to change the name of the boat from: "Day One" to "Money Pit".

I'm trying to convince her that Neptune will not like it.
Also she says that she hopes there will be some money left when we will retire and start cruising....
Old 28-04-2011, 11:46   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

after i saw what POOPING SEA did for a fellow garden design sailor, i refuse to place davits on a boat much less stash a dink there--LOL--- ruined the davits, tore transom, and lost the dink totally. i place my walker bay on my bow, and i place my inflatable under my main boom. i have a cover for my ancient hypalon inflatable, which is an excellent idea for all inflatables anymore, as most donot tolerate direct sunlight for long time periods.

please let admiral know the money pit part--which i call chinese water torture, doesnt last long. is all goood.... there will be kitty money left when done....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 12:05   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

please let admiral know the money pit part--which i call chinese water torture, doesnt last long. is all goood.... there will be kitty money left when done....
I'll let the Admiral know, for sure.... BTW Chinese water torture is drop by drop, here in fact it's by the buckets...

Alec
Old 28-04-2011, 12:11   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
I'll let the Admiral know, for sure.... BTW Chinese water torture is drop by drop, here in fact it's by the buckets...

Alec

with mine-- the drops were awesome large pee streams........at least that part is over and for less than expected by a really huge amount---- gooodluck--look for and find the good deals -- then the torture is much less....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 12:25   #39

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

No to towing. Lost a very nice dinghy that way coming from Kauai to Oahu. I wouldn't have minded so much except it was not mine but a friend's.

It flipped in the middle of the channel in 35k winds. We couldn't get it aboard because the suction in an overturned hull is just too great. It slowed our boat speed to 2 knots and until daylight could not figure out why we were going so slow. Finally the bow painter parted and away went the pretty yellow hard lapstrake fiberglass dinghy.
Old 28-04-2011, 12:55   #40

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

"By the way after the changing of the batteries and the new fridge compressor The Admiral wanted to change the name of the boat from: "Day One" to "Money Pit"."

At least it's not "One Day"...
I get my 10.5 RIB on the fore deck with an external spinniker halyard and a really long four-part purchase tackle which looks like a big soft boom vang. The dinghy comes up by the bow, attached to the "vang" which in turn is attached to the halyard. I pull the halyard until the dinghy is mosly out of the water, then I maneuver and raise it with the vang, set it down with the vang, then complete the drop with the halyard. This way I am not stuck at the mast and can raise or lower this 130 pound dinghy by myself in good strong breezes...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 13:19   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Davits are indeed easier, but I won't have them on my boat for various reasons: they are ugly, they put considerable weight too far astern and too high up, the dinghy blocks access from the sugar scoop and visibility astern, they are a serious risk if used at sea and unless the dinghy is really stabilized can lead to chafe damage.
The only perfect dinghy storage solution is a dinghy garage.

Deflated on the foredeck is the most elegant solution in theory, but in practice it is a real hassle.

We use electric davits. Jim correctly explains the disadvantages. Our dinghy has a 25 horsepower outboard with remote steering, so we have the further disadvantage of not being able to easily dismount the outboard for separate storage. So the dink lives in the davits with the outboard on the transom. The davits are robust and we have made long passages with the dink in them, in storms up to F9, without any visible stress or chafe. But they are ugly, ugly, ugly!!!

There is no good solution. Even the dinghy garage -- the holy grail of dinghy storage -- has the humongous disadvantage of eating an enormous amount of hull volume. So I guess I should not have said that even this is "perfect".
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:12   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So now dinghy ("DayTwo") is legally registered, is on the fore deck, engine is on its post on the stern rail.. Everybody happy..
NOT SO FAST said the Admiral.. :Now , I don't see sh*t in front of us.." the damn dinghy is blocking the view..

As the Admiral (by rank) is always right I have to solve that problem.

My solution would be to slightly deflate the keel, and tubes and gain some inches of oversight above the dinghy.
Do you think the Admiral would be happy now?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04   #43

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Quote:
So now dinghy ("DayTwo") is legally registered, is on the fore deck, engine is on its post on the stern rail.. Everybody happy..
NOT SO FAST said the Admiral.. :Now , I don't see sh*t in front of us.." the damn dinghy is blocking the view..

As the Admiral (by rank) is always right I have to solve that problem.

My solution would be to slightly deflate the keel, and tubes and gain some inches of oversight above the dinghy.
Do you think the Admiral would be happy now?
Either get yourself a taller admiral or give her a box to stand on. Another approach would be to say: "If I had known you were such an expert, I would have given the job to you"...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:11   #44
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Idea 1. from James would be ideal.. and I resemble your admiral in stature.

Bash hadda take the wheel from me once cause I couldn't see over the people and his boat to steer a course round Angel island ; -)

idea 2. heh. well maybe not so much but I am guessing that your clear understanding of the chain of command (she's always right) means you know when to not rabble rouse either....

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:37   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Baines View Post
Either get yourself a taller admiral or give her a box to stand on. Another approach would be to say: "If I had known you were such an expert, I would have given the job to you"...
After 44 years I'm quite used to that Admiral...
But thank you for the tip anyway

Tags
dinghy