Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 15:51   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Which adhesive to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
I like my dinghy running light to be removable so it won’t be lost or stolen. This can be done in several ways. Details upon request.
Requesting. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 20:42   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Whatever adhesive you use it won't last. Plus if it isn't removable you can't store the dink upside down on the deck.
I'd send it back and mount one of these on your outboard.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 22:39   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper & Nicholson, Nicholson 32, 32', Fals Cappa

Quote: [I woukld not mount such an obstructive device on the bow]

The light appears to be removable. Only the base is fixed permanently on the dinghy so it would not be an obstruction during daylight.
Althebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 23:20   #19

Don't you only need an all round white light on a dinghy?
elscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 02:32   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Whatever adhesive you use it won't last. Plus if it isn't removable you can't store the dink upside down on the deck.
These are good lights for sure, but if you mount it on an outboard they will be obscured by your body over a significant arc, and if there are others in the dink, more so.

I've mounted ours on a length of PVC pipe that attaches to the transom and is high above our heads when seated. This also reduces scattered light to the driver and helps with vision.

Jim

PS: While bright, it does not really meet lighting standards for a small motor boat, in that there is no "steaming" light displayed. Makes you look like a sailing vessel.
Old 28-08-2018, 04:53   #21

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

What ever you DO NOT use cement glue unless you want a giant hole in your dinghy. Some cement glue will either melt, or crystallize the rubber. I used 5200, 4200 would do also and so would Sika flex 1 or 921. Now do you intend to leave it there permanently or remove it from time to time. If the later, perhaps some Velcro patch would do.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 09:49   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Which adhesive to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

I have one mounted on my outboard and it’s too bright, really annoying.
Put it on a stick, it’s much better there.
It does not meet the legal requirement of having an all around white light though.
Although when I was inspected this year by the USCG auxiliary, I was told all I needed to be legal in the US is a flashlight.
I think you would be applauded as opposed to chastised, cause most run around with just a headlight on their head.
Now I don’t know what size trips the requirements for flares, fire extinguishers, sound producing devices etc, but apparently it’s bigger than Dinghies.

As far as that devices brightness, it’s legal as a Tri color for a 12 Meter vessel, I’m sure of that.
After three years my Navisafe light is finally dieing, I found it half full of water the other day after I replaced the batteries, maybe I rolled the O ring or something, but I took it apart and dried it out, and it still works but the on off switch has become intermittent.
However due to it being normally waterproof, and it floats, plus being mounted by magnets so to remove it, just grab it and out it in your pocket, plus it’s smaller than a hockey puck and fits nicely in your pocket, it’s the best thing going.

This kit makes you legal anywhere I feel sure, and the bow mount adheres with 3M high bond tape.
https://store.marinebeam.com/led-nav...BoCkgwQAvD_BwE
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 10:02   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Personally I would recommend weaver 2001 for hyapalon.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=97333
Gluing stuff like that to your boat is what it is designed for.
If your boat is pvc based I recommend the weaver 3001.

https://www.weaverindustries.com/ind...lue---8-oz.htm
Old 28-08-2018, 15:33   #24

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinScurr View Post
I bought a Innovative Lighting LED Portable Bi-Color Bow Navigation Light (see pic.) It is made to attach to the bow of an inflatable. I was surprised to see the only reference on how to attach it was "adhesive not included" on the instruction sheet? It has a semi-rigid black rubber (vinyl?) base you're supposed to attach ... my dinghy is hypalon. So, what is the correct adhesive to use?
HUM ! as the bow of a dinghy is a "high trafic area" and could be hit many many times, I would suggest to fix very strongly it to a larger flexible sub-base that will be glued on the dinghy.
My 2 cents.
Old 28-08-2018, 20:37   #25

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

These are what I use.

I modified the bow mount so the light itself attaches directly without the short mast as I was worried about its vulnerability, especially with our dogs scrambling over the bow. The mount itself attaches with the 3M tape as mentioned previously.

I attach the white light to my hat, as suggested to me when I bought the lights. Seems to work well w/o blinding.

Regarding the use of just a flashlight, that's OK unless your dinghy is CAPABLE of exceeding 7 knots. Then you need full running lights. Perhaps what USCG auxiliary told you says more about how knowledgeable they are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have one mounted on my outboard and it’s too bright, really annoying.
Put it on a stick, it’s much better there.
It does not meet the legal requirement of having an all around white light though.
Although when I was inspected this year by the USCG auxiliary, I was told all I needed to be legal in the US is a flashlight.
I think you would be applauded as opposed to chastised, cause most run around with just a headlight on their head.
Now I don’t know what size trips the requirements for flares, fire extinguishers, sound producing devices etc, but apparently it’s bigger than Dinghies.

As far as that devices brightness, it’s legal as a Tri color for a 12 Meter vessel, I’m sure of that.
After three years my Navisafe light is finally dieing, I found it half full of water the other day after I replaced the batteries, maybe I rolled the O ring or something, but I took it apart and dried it out, and it still works but the on off switch has become intermittent.
However due to it being normally waterproof, and it floats, plus being mounted by magnets so to remove it, just grab it and out it in your pocket, plus it’s smaller than a hockey puck and fits nicely in your pocket, it’s the best thing going.

This kit makes you legal anywhere I feel sure, and the bow mount adheres with 3M high bond tape.
https://store.marinebeam.com/led-nav...BoCkgwQAvD_BwE
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive