Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 10:59   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Why electric AC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Screens work for mosquitoes and flies but they can't keep out noseeums, they're too small.

And screens block a lot of the breeze, so if it's already hot, humid and calm the screens will take away what little ventilation there is.

But again, it's not often this combination occurs. Two+ years liveaboard in the Bahamas and Caribbean I can only remember 4-5 nights that it was unpleasant. For me that isn't enough to justify a large, diesel gennie but I like having the little Honda anyway and it works for occasional use.
Screens can work against Noseeums.

We made our own 5 screens 23 years ago using wedding veil fabric. It is very fine mesh material. Flies, mozzies, bees, noseeums, everything, is excluded. Breeze however, passes through, mostly due to the huge bow hatch.

With the screens on, the shade awning up, and fans running in the cabin, we are cool enough, at anchor, even on very hot days in Mexico summer and every other place and time that we used them in the last 23 years. At night, at anchor, once the sun goes down it is even cooler in the boat and pleasant for sleeping with a fan blowing. In a marina we need the air-conditioner which runs on shore power.

These screens are still usable now 23 years later and we used them during most of our cruise this spring (three months) however several of them have developed holes or tears which we patched with tape. Since we bought a few extra yards of wedding veil material back then we have enough now for a whole new set. We've dug out that material and it is like new. We'll use the old slit Dacron edges and put in new material. It's on the project list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	125128-Bug screen Material.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	244634  
Old 02-09-2021, 11:18   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40

I went to the camping store and bought a very fine bug net and cut it up and used it for screening all the hatches. Whilst it worked very well for excluding even the no-see-ems the UV rotted it within a couple of years.

My latest experiment for the deck hatches is the knitted shade cloth sort of throw rugs with old mooring line around the edges to keep it weighted down onto the deck. The large tented area of fine mesh appears to allow plenty of air through to my in-hatch auto radiator 12V fans as well as plenty of light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG20210830171002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	244636  
Old 02-09-2021, 11:51   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Screens work for mosquitoes and flies but they can't keep out noseeums, they're too small.

And screens block a lot of the breeze, so if it's already hot, humid and calm the screens will take away what little ventilation there is.

But again, it's not often this combination occurs. Two+ years liveaboard in the Bahamas and Caribbean I can only remember 4-5 nights that it was unpleasant. For me that isn't enough to justify a large, diesel gennie but I like having the little Honda anyway and it works for occasional use.
Someone should write a book about insects and cruising at different latitudes.

This summer I was up at the top of the Gulf of Bothnia with my boat, just 30 miles from the Arctic Circle, and the mosquitoes were brutal, driving one of my crewmen nearly insane (he has sweeter blood than I).

Now I'm back to only just above 60N and it's not so bad. I've even put the hatch screens back in their long term storage.

So maybe across a broad swath of the Temperate Zone it's not so bad with the insects, until you get down there nearer the Tropics.

Air conditioning? Not a consideration up here.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
With a genset the diesel runs at at a constant speed to turn a generator that produces electricity that is used to spin an electric motor, that turns a compressor. I am proposing driving the compressor directly with the diesel. It's RPM can can easily be altered to meet demand. Get the boat cooled off or only cool one cabin and the RPM can drop to a fraction of full RPM.

Less fuel, longer life, not nearly as expensive. When not being used used for the AC, the same small diesel can charge house batteries or run the water maker directly.

Again, this is all off the shelf tech and should be fairly low cost to build.
Inverter generators already do all this.

Running the air/con in your car off the engine makes sense because people don't spend a lot of time in their car unless the engine is running. Cruising boats on the other hand typically aren't running the main engines most of the time.

Could you build a rube goldberg system with belts and pulleys? Sure but seriously doubt you would gain enough efficiency to buy a beer once a month...and when the time comes to sell, buyers will price in ripping it out and putting in a standard system.

PS: No seeum screens are almost as good as windows at stopping a breeze.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:50   #35

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
I suppose the reason the AC units on most boats are electrical is so they can be ran from shore power. For real cruisers and more active boaters, wouldn't a system ran by a small diesel be better?

Even better is the well thought out and designed boat that doesn't need A/C
5 years full time in sub tropical to tropical waters and never wished for it once.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:28   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I went to the camping store and bought a very fine bug net and cut it up and used it for screening all the hatches. Whilst it worked very well for excluding even the no-see-ems the UV rotted it within a couple of years.

My latest experiment for the deck hatches is the knitted shade cloth sort of throw rugs with old mooring line around the edges to keep it weighted down onto the deck. The large tented area of fine mesh appears to allow plenty of air through to my in-hatch auto radiator 12V fans as well as plenty of light.
Interesting fan setup. I made one just the same but using a large 12V RV fan. I set mine to blow up and out. That way it sucks air in through all the ports and hatches and, if there's a very light rain in the middle of the night it will blow the water up and save you from getting up to close the hatch, sometimes.

Nice and quiet and more air than the little cabin fans like the Caframo but not as much as a 120VAC window fan. How's the flow with the radiator fan? Noise level?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:59   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Someone should write a book about insects and cruising at different latitudes.
Oh absolutely. Most of my experience has been FL and the tropics but getting more time in the NE US. Found mosquitoes and noseeums can be just as bad here as around a Florida mangrove swamp. Also black flies in the summer that we don't see in Florida but then they have yellow flies that do the same job.

Friend takes a fishing trip to Canada every summer and tells me he can't leave the tent without long sleeves, gloves and a hat with a net like a beekeepers hat.

Haven't had the pleasure but also hear horror stories about Scottish midges and a similar critter on the south island of New Zealand.

Quote:
Air conditioning? Not a consideration up here.
Most of the time but even Europe gets an occasional heat wave. When we did the river cruise in July in central France we got to experience a heat wave for 2-3 days. It was so hot (that being said by someone that has lived in Florida for 40 years) that by 11-12:00 we had to tie up and hide below until almost 6:00 pm. Even friends in London and Manchester occasionally bemoan the lack of ac.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:03   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
PS: No seeum screens are almost as good as windows at stopping a breeze.
Yep. That was my experience. Mesh fine enough to stop the noseeums will pretty much block a light breeze.

I have read about a trick that claims to keep out the noseeums. Basically wet the screens with something that repels them. Several suggest diesel but the smell kills that idea for me. Maybe spray the screens with some kind of insect repellant might work but the few times I had the problem I had nothing on board. Poor planning I guess.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:10   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
. . Most of the time but even Europe gets an occasional heat wave. When we did the river cruise in July in central France we got to experience a heat wave for 2-3 days. It was so hot (that being said by someone that has lived in Florida for 40 years) that by 11-12:00 we had to tie up and hide below until almost 6:00 pm. Even friends in London and Manchester occasionally bemoan the lack of ac.

By "up here", I didn't mean Central France. I'm sitting here above 60N, the latitude of Anchorage Alaska.

We did have some uncomfortably hot weather "up here" last summer, which was record-breaking, but still nothing that would seriously make anyone think about air conditioning. God, I hate hot weather.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 03-09-2021, 09:34   #40

Quote:
Interesting fan setup. I made one just the same but using a large 12V RV fan. I set mine to blow up and out. That way it sucks air in through all the ports and hatches and, if there's a very light rain in the middle of the night it will blow the water up and save you from getting up to close the hatch, sometimes.

Nice and quiet and more air than the little cabin fans like the Caframo but not as much as a 120VAC window fan. How's the flow with the radiator fan? Noise level?
Full on with 12V connected they blow a gale and roar so I wire them in series and use a speed controller to adjust both air flow and noise to an acceptable level.

One of the advantageous things about using radiator fans is that they are designed to operate in the front of the vehicle where they are exposed to high levels of water spray and consequently getting wet in the rain does not bother them.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:45   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
By "up here", I didn't mean Central France. I'm sitting here above 60N, the latitude of Anchorage Alaska.

We did have some uncomfortably hot weather "up here" last summer, which was record-breaking, but still nothing that would seriously make anyone think about air conditioning. God, I hate hot weather.
For us colonials even central France is "up there", as in as far north as Nova Scotia.

A lot of people on this side of the pond don't realize quite how far north western Europe is: UK about the same latitude as Labrador. Even the southern UK is above 50N, something to think about when sailors talk about the storms in the roaring 40s in the southern hemisphere. Of course very different weather dynamics but still something to keep in mind.

Regarding hot vs cold, quite agree. Would much rather be cold, up to a certain point, than hot. Have had to give up on summer in Florida as just unbearable.

My father once pointed out (in a "negotiation" with my mother about the setting of the ac in the car) that one can always put on more clothes if too cold but if too hot there just so far one can go.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:48   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Full on with 12V connected they blow a gale and roar so I wire them in series and use a speed controller to adjust both air flow and noise to an acceptable level.

One of the advantageous things about using radiator fans is that they are designed to operate in the front of the vehicle where they are exposed to high levels of water spray and consequently getting wet in the rain does not bother them.
All very interesting points. Think I'll have to visit the local junk yard and pull a couple for some R&D.
Old 03-09-2021, 16:48   #43

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
...God, I hate hot weather.
Try sailing in shorts some time, you might like it.

We've lived in the tropics for 15 years. It's grows on you. As far as I can tell, life in the hot weather goes on as normal. but...

it surely constrains one's outside activities, so we don't work on the deck much during summer, (two hours work outside max per day) and going sailing means putting the boat away afterwards, which is pretty tough in the hot afternoon sun, so we sail less in the summer.

But at anchor it's not too bad, and in the marina, we do have AC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a9-144120-Composite from Boat.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	244685  
Old 04-09-2021, 09:07   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Try sailing in shorts some time, you might like it.

We've lived in the tropics for 15 years. It's grows on you. As far as I can tell, life in the hot weather goes on as normal. but...

it surely constrains one's outside activities, so we don't work on the deck much during summer, (two hours work outside max per day) and going sailing means putting the boat away afterwards, which is pretty tough in the hot afternoon sun, so we sail less in the summer.

But at anchor it's not too bad, and in the marina, we do have AC.

To each his own.

I grew up in a hot place but tolerate it badly now in this stage of life.

Cold on the other hand doesn't bother me -- just add clothes. When it's too hot, there's nothing you can do. Therefore I like Northern places and high latitudes.

I'm going to Spain tomorrow and am a little bit dreading the 30+ temps they're having there. Yes, I'll be sailing in shorts
Walt Whitman
Old 04-09-2021, 14:10   #45

Quote:
To each his own.

I grew up in a hot place but tolerate it badly now in this stage of life.

Cold on the other hand doesn't bother me -- just add clothes. When it's too hot, there's nothing you can do. Therefore I like Northern places and high latitudes.

I'm going to Spain tomorrow and am a little bit dreading the 30+ temps they're having there. Yes, I'll be sailing in shorts
Same situation re onset of senior citizenship but don't like the cold and having to wear all those clothes all the time and being very tall and a hard time keeping my feet warm.

Summer heat in Australia starting to knock me about a bit though so I might have to start lurking about in marinas with an air conditioner.

I already have a 5.5 hp gas engine with a couple of belt driven alternators in a box on deck for contingency battery charging and am thinking of replacing one of the alternators with an auto aircon compressor and using one of those bus rooftop condensing units in a hatch as an alternative to marinas which I don't like because of the cockroaches and rodents and some of the non human wildlife that tends to inhabit them waiting to infest a vessel.

Tags
electric