Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 10:38   #1

Zodiac (PVC) Bottom Repair ?

My West Marine (Zodiac) PVC slatted floor roll up dinghy is coming apart. The floor is separating from the tubes.....big time. The entire port side has come loose and starboard is beginning to do the same. Is there any way to save this boat? I contacted the local dealer and he wants $500 to repair a 10 year old inflatable. No thanks. Has anyone ever sucessfully done a repair like this or should I just get another dink?
sailingcamelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 10:48   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Zodiac (PVC) bottom repair???

Get a hypalon dink.
Old 23-08-2011, 10:51   #3

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingcamelot View Post
My West Marine (Zodiac) PVC slatted floor roll up dinghy is coming apart. The floor is separating from the tubes.....big time. The entire port side has come loose and starboard is beginning to do the same. Is there any way to save this boat? I contacted the local dealer and he wants $500 to repair a 10 year old inflatable. No thanks. Has anyone ever sucessfully done a repair like this or should I just get another dink?
Handyman's secret weapon! Duct Tape!!!
Duct tape will work for a (very) short time, the glue is not waterproof.

There are glues and material that could work.
Try this place.
Inflatable Boat and Raft Repair, Repair Kits and Instructions

Google search time <1 sec, >3,000,000 hits
Old 23-08-2011, 10:54   #4

Thanks Don but I already tried duct tape....no go. I am considering 5200 next.
Old 30-08-2011, 14:23   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Zodiac (PVC) Bottom Repair ?

I have twice glued my 2001 West Marine (Zodiac) dinghy floor back in using the horribly expensive Polymarine PVC two part glue from West Marine. It is good for 4 years or so. Previous attempts to use contact cement, Amassing Goo (Marine), and something else were total failures. The PVC dinghy has gray tubes and a black floor. Refrigerated, the glue will last far beyond its sell by date. I could not interest West Marine in a warrenty replacement. Like you I found a professional repair prohibitably expensive.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 14:51   #6

Bill,

Thanks for your input. My Zodiac is also a 2001 model. It was my second inflatable dinghy.....and my last. I am sick and tired of hunting down leaks and repairing them. I have bought a new watertender hard dink from West Marine. Not sure what I will do with the Zodiac. I just can't see spending any more time and money on it.

Steve
Old 30-08-2011, 15:30   #7

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Bill,

Thanks for your input. My Zodiac is also a 2001 model. It was my second inflatable dinghy.....and my last. I am sick and tired of hunting down leaks and repairing them. I have bought a new watertender hard dink from West Marine. Not sure what I will do with the Zodiac. I just can't see spending any more time and money on it.

Steve

Steve--

You must feel terrible! But just maybe you purchased the wrong dinghy. Mine is an old Avon 10RIB I purchased about 25 years ago. This year I had some minor repairs made at a cost of $175. This old hard bottom was filled with air last may, has not had any added since then.

The secret is to purchase a dinghy made with hypalon fabric.... and keeping them covered also helps. But maybe you are already aware that hypalon is the way to go. Good luck with your new hard dinghy.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:32   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Zodiac's are infamous for this problem and since they make West Marine's boats, they too suffered from this. The floor went out on mine after about 5 years, the guy in the slip next me had one go out within a few months. He stepped off his boat into the dinghy and just kept on going.

I changed over to Achilles and a Walker Bay and avoid Zodiac like the plague.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 18:43   #9

Many thanks to all who replied. I was actually looking for folks who had experienced a similar zodiac failure with any suggestions to fix the problem and i was not dissapointed. The consensus is that PVC dinks suck! I now know better and will avoid them in the future. Thanks again. Steve
Old 30-08-2011, 19:20   #10

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Many thanks to all who replied. I was actually looking for folks who had experienced a similar zodiac failure with any suggestions to fix the problem and i was not dissapointed. The consensus is that PVC dinks suck! I now know better and will avoid them in the future. Thanks again. Steve
Way back when I purchased my Avon, Zodiac was having problems with their PVC junk. I recall there were lawsuits against the company along with product recalls. I don't remember the final outcome other than to say Zodiac should have learned their lesson over 20 years ago!!!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 20:31   #11

had the same experience with mine.... floor started coming off.... quoted $500.00 to repair with no warranty. he also told me that pvc are a waste of money...
I tried the expensive west marine repair glue.. came loose again... then ordered some glue from a national rafting supply store.. same results, floor came loose again. will NEVER own a pvc again... just lost my dink in isabel, so if anyone close by has a hard or soft dinghy for sale let me know...
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 22:11   #12
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I guess it depends where your boat is. I also had a West Marine inflatable and I also lost the floor. Inflatables of all makes and material just don't seem to do well in the tropics as the heat does them in.

My next dinghy will be a lightweight glass boat. I'm done with inflatables.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:34   #13

Hello Tropic Cat,
I have purchased a hard dink (watertender 9.4) and am in the process of installing Weaver Snap Davits on the rear of Camelot (Catalac 9m MKII) here in Tampa Bay. No more inflatables for me in the sunshine state.
Old 09-09-2011, 16:49   #14

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

My 2001 West Marine (Zodiac) dinghy (post #5) has two types of joints. Some are welded, some are glued (I think). The welded joints have all held. These are the joints which hold both the tubes and the inflatable keel together. Only the glued joints have failed. These are the joints that attatch the floor to the doughnut, the joints that attatch the inflatable keel that rests below the floorboards to the bottom, and the joints that attach the number board tabs to the tubes. I am suspicious that plasticizers migrating from the PVC have attacked the glue.

I also have had three Hypalon dinghys and still have two of them... never a problem. The oldest is circa 1985 and still going strong. My daughter still uses it. Yes, I have patched leaks and the plastic coating is wearing away where the floor boards rub on the bottom and tubes, but no joint has given way.

Bill Murdoch
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zodiac