Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 10:13   #1

Zodiac v Walker Bay v Grand Marine

Hi all! New to this forum and have a question about dinghies.
We are buying a 48' Sea Ray Sedan Bridge and need to buy a dinghy to go with her. The Sea Ray has a hydraulic swim platform for the dinghy.
I've started looking for a new dinghy (used ones seem to be very scarce) and came across these three brands. I'm familiar with Zodiac but not the other brands. It looks like we can get into a new Walker Bay or Grand Marine, center console, RIB for just under $12,000. I've seen some with Yamaha engines and others with Tohatsu (which I'm not familiar with).
Any thoughts on these three brands?
Thanks!
CottageGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 10:36   #2
cruiser

Re: Zodiac v Walker Bay v Grand Marine

I'd look at Avon or AB brand boats...look at yachtworld, boattrader, craigslist if you wanna try for a used one.

Michigan prolly hard to find used console ribs, though they're pretty common in Florida and easy/affordable to get a trucker to haul it to MI for you...even maybe an RV snowbird might be able to help you deliver it back to MI since they're all leaving florida now this time of year.

I do know there is a newer Avon console 12foot rib with a newer Yamaha 60 at a place called "shoreline marine" in marathon florida...consignment boat asking $4K I believe? If you call, the shop owners name is Eric and he can tell you about the boat/motor..

Definitely go 4 stroke Yamaha if you have means for new motors; though I do like the Hondas in that motor size too.
Tahotsu is essentially a lower price mercury motor/same motors which I personally don't buy. Yamahas are just better motors IMO!

This is all assuming you're trying to/gonna end up with a 12 foot console rib and a 60hp motor combo?
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 07:23   #3

We'd actually like to find a center console RIB that's less than 12' if possible. We're concerned with the beam of the dinghy fitting comfortably on the hydraulic swim platform - leaving enough room for us to board the Sea Ray via the swim platform. We will definitely be looking at a 4stroke engine.
I should note that 95% of the time, the dinghy will shuttle 2 adults + 1 large dog to shore on those times we anchor out instead of taking a slip.
Finding a used one in Michigan or Wisconsin (where we are picking the boat up from) seems to be impossible. However, there are lots of new Walker Bays and Grand Marines in Wisconsin for just under $10,000.
Old 29-03-2016, 08:04   #4
cruiser

I think 11foot is gonna be the smallest console rib you can find??? Not much room in an 11foot RIB when you add a console. Should be OK though for man/woman and medium/full size dog. Not much room for coolers/chairs/umbrellas or especially another couple though.

Wow, the prices for new console RIBs is mad crazy!!!

Found a used one on boattrader, course it's in Florida so you'd have to arrange some shipping. It's 11footer console RIB with a 25hp Yamaha. Looks a little weathered IMO.

Used 2001 Aqua Scan Rib 11 Center Rib, Stuart, Fl - 34997 - BoatTrader.com

Don't know if you've thought about/you've considered a jet drive console RIB, but I'd wonder if it might be feasible since you're in fresher water of the Great Lakes? Maybe invasive mussels make it not so?

Here in the ocean jet drives aren't so feasible cuz you have to pull them outta water daily/store overnight outta water (like jet skis) as barnacles/marine growth is so prevalent and many people wanna be lazy and simply leave the rib in the water as they don't have means dink davits/platforms so growth happens fast...then motor is plugged up with growth. But since you have a platform/rack maybe it's something to consider?

Nice thing about jet drives is lack of prop scratching things up/cutting things up or especially dangers to marine life (manatees) and humans.
Jet drive boats go in shallower waters too, less apt to tear up sea grass which in Florida tearing up sea grass will get you citations from florida wildlife conservation.

Good luck
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 11:35   #5

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Another alternative is Yacht Tenders, Utility Boats, Dinghies - Rigid Aluminum Hull Boats These are not inflatible but are a rigid type tender with aluminum hull. Extremely durable.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 11:50   #6

Do research AB or Caribe
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:39   #7

Boat: Boatless

AB Alloy with Center Consol and 25hp outboard or bigger! What a boat. Since you have a lift piece of cake. We had a 12' AB with 25hp two stroke Yamaha and loved it. Extended range of all fun stuff, fast, could carry a lot of weight and still get up on plane. The tubes were in the tropics from St Maartin to New Zealand for over a decade and still looked great. Highly recommend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6070022.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	121603  

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 18:27   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottageGirl View Post
We are buying a 48' Sea Ray Sedan Bridge and need to buy a dinghy to go with her. The Sea Ray has a hydraulic swim platform for the dinghy.
I've started looking for a new dinghy (used ones seem to be very scarce) and came across these three brands. I'm familiar with Zodiac but not the other brands. It looks like we can get into a new Walker Bay or Grand Marine, center console, RIB for just under $12,000. I've seen some with Yamaha engines and others with Tohatsu (which I'm not familiar with).
Thanks!
You don't mention the size you are considering, but I assume with your 48' Sea Ray, and your term 'dinghy' you are not looking at much more than 3-4 metres?
A lot of folks go for RIBS, but we have with the last two dinghy's gone for hard inflatable floors. At the end of the season, being able to roll the whole thing up, and stow it in a spare cabin or lazarette is a big plus for us.

The brand we have the most experience with is Zodiac, and I have to say their 'Fastrunner' series tracks very well (like on rails, 90 degree turns etc), and ride very well, with a Vee pretty well as good as a RIB hull. I would argue that with the slight give in the 'hard' floor, you actually get a softer ride than with the fully rigid hull of a RIB.

Not a good idea to drag up shelly beaches too often of course, but then I would not want to do that with a RIB either. Better to lift, of have flip-down wheels on the transom.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 04:18   #9

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottageGirl View Post
Thanks!

My son owns Compass Consignments in Palmetto, FL and he has one of these at the shop....great sturdy boat...10' center console Used 2015 Catch 10 Fridged Ridged, Palmetto, Fl - 34221 - BoatTrader.com
palm trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 05:42   #10

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

I had a Zodiac rib with a console and it was poorly designed. Hated the damn thing. Bought a Caribe with a Yamaha and it has been great. Would buy another one in a minute. If you are going to buy new, test drive it for 30 to 50 minutes. You'll find out a lot.
With a cheap engine, I think your dinghy would become a source of aggravation instead of enhancing your boating experience. Make sure your wife is happy. Mine got to the point she wouldn't get in the Zodiac. There's a lot of people on this forum who can fly by the seat of their pants. My bought mechanic told me he lost most of his customers because the wife didn't like the boat. Food for thought unless you want to trade her in.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 06:12   #11

Boat: Scout 30

A center console in a RIB is a big waste of space & a lot of unnecessary weight & complexity. Defender is starting their yearly warehouse sale tomorrow & you might find a good deal on a RIB there. I saved a grand on a clearance Avon at Defender.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 07:37   #12

Thanks everyone for your input! Storage for us isn't a problem - the dinghy will live on the platform summer & winter.
SailorJer - thank you for the PM and link (forum won't let me respond to you via pm until I'm "trusted").
Will look into the links everyone provided!

Tags
marine, zodiac