Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 16:15   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 20V drill to hoist dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Our Milwaukee maxes out at 1000 rpm IIRC, and will run at very low speeds as determined by load and trigger position. And we've not had any problems with overheating or other damage from slow running despite worries posted upthread. Ours is now about 7 years of age and is used a LOT, as we are active cruisers. Batteries are showing signs of reduced capacity, however, and I suppose that replacement is in our future.

Jim
I have three batteries and one is dead already. Won’t take a charge.
OEM batteries are real expensive, but there are off brands.
I wonder if they are any good?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 17:25   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have three batteries and one is dead already. Won’t take a charge.
OEM batteries are real expensive, but there are off brands.
I wonder if they are any good?
Me too! Plenty of alleged 6 A-H look alikes on e-bay, with 5 year warranty, and for far less money.

Anyone with experience out t here in CF land?

Jim
Old 01-02-2020, 17:56   #33

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Me too! Plenty of alleged 6 A-H look alikes on e-bay, with 5 year warranty, and for far less money.

Anyone with experience out t here in CF land?

Jim

Not in drill batteries but I’m yet to find an after market laptop battery that was not utter crap.
Old 01-02-2020, 18:36   #34

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

As to the aftermarket lithium tool batteries, yes, I have had good experiences so far with the 20 volt DeWalt clones. I bought mine through Amazon rather than eBay though.

Mike
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 19:35   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
As to the aftermarket lithium tool batteries, yes, I have had good experiences so far with the 20 volt DeWalt clones. I bought mine through Amazon rather than eBay though.

Mike
Mike, is there a brand name associated with the ones that you bought, and how long have they lasted so far (compared to the OEM batteries?

Jim
Old 02-02-2020, 05:30   #36

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

The "brand" I bought is Forrat, I put that in quotes because I see a number of others that are selling what appear to be identical batteries. I have had them for a year now, and use them in my work as a shipwright and contractor, and they do seem to function identically to my oem batteries.

Who knows how long they will last, though for the price, I have to say I am happy with them.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:52   #37

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

The Milwaukee is excellent but expensive. And you will need a winch adapter. If you have a a block and pulley set up you May reduce the needed power.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:38   #38

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

One of my Kiwi friends used something like this on his davits. It was pretty inexpensive, so I bought a thru deck version and used it for my roller furling line. It lasted over 10 years.

https://www.jamesnilsson.com/shop/Ca...sku/01383.html
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:21   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We use a 6-part block and cam cleat on the bow and stern. More than adequate, fast, no batteries, no charging.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:27   #40

Yes, a big vote for Milwaukee 28 V angle drill! I use with the Winch Bit. Use it for anything that a winch is used for. Primaries, windlass back-up, dingy, Haul someone up the mast. Don’t need for main halyard as I have installed the Tides Marine Slide system and full batten main goes up hand over hand as fast as I can pull it, and I and 75! So great system. On the primaries drill is wonderful when single handing or short handed. As it is reversible it Works great on the 2 speed self tailing primaries.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:49   #41

Here are some numbers: 300lb = 136.4 kg so the boat weighs 1337 newtons
Say you need to lift the boat 80 inches = 2 meters. energy required is m.g.h = 1337 X 2 = 2674 joules.
The drill you pointed to is specified as 1.5 A.hr at 20V that's 108000 joules so neglecting inefficiencies and losses that's 20 lifts and 20 drops per battery charge which is OK Trouble is the max torque specified is 28N.m for the drill, so if it turned a 4 inch diameter spool winch that's just 28N / 00.05m = 560 newtons MAXIMUM no losses so you need blocks to get about X6 advantage or better. That's a lot of line flapping around. I have a Harbor Freight (!!) hand winch which is a wormwheel and pinion 1 ton affair. If you used a gear like THAT, you would be in business! A worm gear is self-locking by the way - so you could pull the drill off the winch and the boat would stay put. Hope this helps. (P.S Don't even think about an impact drill - the high torque specified exists for couple of milliseconds per second - good for wheel nuts - bad for winches.
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:47   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I'm installing a pipe davit to hoist my dinghy onto boat deck of my trawler (see Pic below of something similar). Typically, an electric winch is wired to provide the muscle - similar to what is used on boat trailers. These tend to rust out after a few years, and getting adequate power to them is a challenge. My dink is similar to what many cruisers carry - 11-foot RIB with 15hp outboard. Probably 250-300 lbs.

Was thinking a simpler and more reliable choice might be a self tailing winch and use a DeWalt 20v cordless drill since I have one aboard.

Thoughts?
Attachment 207861
I use a Milwaukee 18V lithium batteries (stronger then the 28V nicad batteries) right angle drill for all my whinch needs. It will get me (200lbs) to the top of the mast very fast. Good luck
Diantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:59   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

I have the same dink/motor: Westmarine 310 (3.1m) double floor fiberglass and Yamaha 15ho 2 stroke Enduro.

My Milwaukee 28v is used every day for this activity. I can use a smaller drill on my Harken 40 winch, but the motor and batteries hate me. I even tried out the highest rated Chinese lithium batteries via Amazon for the Milwaukee 28v right angle drill...both batteries burnt out a month apart and began to smoke. The stock batteries never faulter...dang.

The neoprene sleeve is a must have as well ! This thing is big, padding helps the gel coat. I even disconnected my overpriced, under engineered Harken electric winch...taking note Harken???

Any drill will do the job if the mechanical advantage is enough....

And I bout the Winch Bit chuck replacement, not the drill bit insert. All the difference. I can leave the drill in the winch it is so strong. I raise the dink, mainsail, girl the headsail, kids send me up the mast. I am 90kg. Boat is Lagoon 450F.

Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	208288  
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:52   #44

We had a rather large heavy dinghy on Weaver swim step davits on our Mainship. Not wanting to drill a lot of holes and run add on wiring I opted for a Dewalt 18 volt drill and a 500# Warn drill driven winch. When is was time to launch or retrieve the dinghy I simply took the winch and drill from the locker hooked it to the deadeye and drilled away. Can not tell you how many times people stopped to watch the operation with a gin and a thumbs up.
No loose lines, minimal permanent fixtures, no wires motors or winches living in the corrosive salt environment
DryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 13:59   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryGuy View Post
We had a rather large heavy dinghy on Weaver swim step davits on our Mainship. Not wanting to drill a lot of holes and run add on wiring I opted for a Dewalt 18 volt drill and a 500# Warn drill driven winch. When is was time to launch or retrieve the dinghy I simply took the winch and drill from the locker hooked it to the deadeye and drilled away. Can not tell you how many times people stopped to watch the operation with a gin and a thumbs up.
No loose lines, minimal permanent fixtures, no wires motors or winches living in the corrosive salt environment
Cool! Never seen that before. Not sure it would work on my pipe davit, but what a good idea. Thanks.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy