Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2015, 05:22   #1

Boat: Marieholm Bruck M26
26 foot bow anchor not too heavy...

Hello !
Next year I will get a year off and my plan is to sail in the Med.
My boat is a folkboat and I fore sure need to mke a nice sturdy bow anchor to get the anchor ready to deploy and avoid to take it from cockpit to bow.. Looking for advise draw suggestions engineering and photos of bow anchor . The problem is it must not very heavy but sturdy... Too difficult?
Thanks!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1434802836.190785.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	103991Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1434802868.320052.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	103992

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Regatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 05:54   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: 26 foot bow anchor not too heavy...

That looks a congested/tight for space bow area. Whereabouts, indeed is there a chain locker at the bow and how's the chain pass through to it - open locker/hawse pipe?

I'm assuming that you're not going to fit a windlass? We sailed a 27' folkboat derivative (Albin Vega) for six years around the Med and hand-hauled the anchor without problem. Don't go too light with your ground tackle though - anchors are like dairy cows, a good big-un, will always beat a good little-un - or you'll have a lot of sleepless nights; we used a 32lb/15kg CQR with 50m of 8mm chain and provided that we took the time to set/dig-in the anchor properly to begin with, it performed well.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 07:00   #3

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I think I'd mount a roller off to the side kinda like this masterpiece of fine art I spent hours working on.....

goat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1434802836.190785.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	103995  
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 07:20   #4

Great, I will make a space in the bow and a hawse pipe to store chain and nylon but 50 meter of chain is too much in heavy......
Off course I will hauled the anchor by and but where you store the anchor? In the bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
That looks a congested/tight for space bow area. Whereabouts, indeed is there a chain locker at the bow and how's the chain pass through to it - open locker/hawse pipe?

I'm assuming that you're not going to fit a windlass? We sailed a 27' folkboat derivative (Albin Vega) for six years around the Med and hand-hauled the anchor without problem. Don't go too light with your ground tackle though - anchors are like dairy cows, a good big-un, will always beat a good little-un - or you'll have a lot of sleepless nights; we used a 32lb/15kg CQR with 50m of 8mm chain and provided that we took the time to set/dig-in the anchor properly to begin with, it performed well.

Old 20-06-2015, 07:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

LOL... Get a Fortress, and use a couple of stainless anchor hangers from the bow pulpit... no heavy or expensive mods..
Old 20-06-2015, 07:58   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I sailed a 25 foot boat for years, and carried the anchor from the cockpit locker to the bow...every time...so I appreciate your desire for a bow roller.

I suggest you use a short piece of PVC pipe, securely attached vertically to the bow pulpit with hose clamps (and suitable chaffe gear). An inexpensive 10kg bruce can sit, claw upwards, in the pipe with chain attached, held in place by gravity. A clip or shackle on the bottom would secure the anchor for rough weather, and you may choose to jam a piece of pool noodle in there to stop any motion if needed.

This solution gets the anchor up off the deck, solving the crowded deck problem. I have seen this on boats around here. It may not be as pretty as a stainless steel bow roller, but it is lightweight, inexpensive, and doesn't require drilling any holes in your bow.

I also suggest 6' of HEAVY chain combined with 200' of 1/2" rope rode.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	anchor.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	103998  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:27   #7

At the and better to do modification at pulpit than bow...in any case I must make a bow storage for chain and instal a hawse...

Old 20-06-2015, 08:29   #8

A small light roller or even a stainless chafing strip on the edge of the deck under the pulpit will prevent damage to the gel coat. When hauling hand over hand the chain will inevitably rub on the edge of the deck.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 08:56   #9

Here my bowClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1434815805.172263.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	104002

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1434815668.286608.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	104001

Old 20-06-2015, 09:16   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

Don't Italians make bow rollers???..
Old 20-06-2015, 09:21   #11

Yes but American do it better!!

Old 20-06-2015, 09:57   #12

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I sailed a 25 foot boat for years, and carried the anchor from the cockpit locker to the bow...every time...so I appreciate your desire for a bow roller.

I suggest you use a short piece of PVC pipe, securely attached vertically to the bow pulpit with hose clamps (and suitable chaffe gear). An inexpensive 10kg bruce can sit, claw upwards, in the pipe with chain attached, held in place by gravity. A clip or shackle on the bottom would secure the anchor for rough weather, and you may choose to jam a piece of pool noodle in there to stop any motion if needed.

This solution gets the anchor up off the deck, solving the crowded deck problem. I have seen this on boats around here. It may not be as pretty as a stainless steel bow roller, but it is lightweight, inexpensive, and doesn't require drilling any holes in your bow.

I also suggest 6' of HEAVY chain combined with 200' of 1/2" rope rode.
Hamburking - I see a problem here. The anchor storage works, but what about the anchor chain? If the chain is attached to the anchor so that the anchor is ready immediately should it be necessary the PVC pipe must be large enough to take the anchor stock AND chain AND be large enough that the anchor shackle doesn't hang up in lifting the anchor out of the PVC pipe. Stowing the anchor from an attachment to the bow pulpit is a good idea, especially on a smaller boat with a light weight anchor. But however it is attached to the bow pulpit it MUST be IMMEDIATELY available for use whenever navigating in inland waters or coastally.
When I used to race my Catalina 22 against Jim Cate in San Francisco Bay my bow pulpit mounted anchor was an intimidating discouragement to attempting to cross my bow.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 10:15   #13

New Generation of Smart Boat Anchors... read this ... Awesome Anchors - Home of the Worlds Best Boat Anchors !
debrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 10:41   #14

I Will make a chain locker .. How many chain for your advise (weight on the bow.....)

Old 20-06-2015, 11:19   #15

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Looks as though you are already set. Just buy one of those mesh bags and store your anchor line, chain and rode, in it lashed to your bow pulpit. When traveling, shift it aft to the mainmast. Always ready, no need for a chain locker. That's what Blondie Hasler would have told you .
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor