Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2020, 02:49   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: 3/4 Shackle failed < 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
Shackle - boat is never more than 6 months after the mooring is inspected, swivel is 2 years old and no signs of deteriorating.
Shackle failed less than 2 years old, and less than 1 year after inspections. ( actually had 2 inspections ) first by myself and second after the mooring was removed and had its block replaced.
The mooring gear is very much oversized 25ft Cat on 5/8 chain and 3/4 shackles.

But the question is to use a Bolted or a pin type Crosby bow shackle?
I like the threaded pin--not too tight--then moused firmly. Zip ties work fine for mousing. The unthreaded pin with cotter can fail if the cotter does, and usually the cotter pin is a different metal. These are fine above water, but not under, IMO.
Old 13-04-2020, 05:26   #32

I have found that shackles with the pin and nut are useful when the rigging is heavy duty. That way you can drive the pin out instead of trying to turn the pin against the weight of the slings. They actually make a special hammer for that.
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 06:50   #33

Boat: Beneteau

Wow. Lots of bashing of other countries on here. For all the know it alls. I had a mooring issue with a shackle rusting two years ago. We just recently sold our forty year tug and barge company and had used a certified shackle. The experience I have is that the certificate is simply there to quiet insurance companies so they have someone to sue when they have to pay out. Shackles are famously crap in salt water period and have to be checked constantly.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 02:40   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

^^ I care less for certification than source. My experience with Chinese made shackles is bad. My experience with domestic shackles is good. That's all I know. It has nothing to do with country-bashing. It's as empirical as it gets.
Old 15-04-2020, 05:43   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I think all certified shackles actually passed testing successfully but that doesn’t mean they will have a long life span.

And it’s not just Crosby that is good; someone mentioned Dutch shackles that I used as well and they are at least as good as Crosby and I’m sure there are more. But for many Crosby can be ordered with a mouse click so it’s a good example.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 06:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Pretty sure all titan product are made in China

We use Van Beest shackles made in the Netherlands
Those van best green pins are widely used in the marine industry

Never had a problem
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 06:38   #37

Boat: Trintella 47

Only use a Crosby 209A shackle
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 07:26   #38

Always use tested/certified shackles where you can't visually inspect them regularly and never mix metals (not even seizing wire) especially not shackles and swivels of differing metal.

We check our mooring shackles every year (and usually change them) 2 years is pretty good going for something that is underwater all the time unless it is HUGE.
charliepsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 08:22   #39

Probably Chinesium. Soft iron rather than steel. Be careful about "stainless" stuff too. One reputable supplier in the UK asked a chinese supplier if they could supply 316 and was told "we can mark them however you want"
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 08:30   #40

does any ever use soft shackles? they are becoming very popular in the paragliding world. stronger than metal shackles. Also, why is it not standard to have a back up to the shackle? seems pretty easy to rig a secondary back up in case of failure.
with no specific knowledge, I would think that inspection and changing once a year would be good piece of mind for securing a boat.
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 09:02   #41

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Here in the Vero Beach City Marina, I'm on a mooring which went walkabout a couple of months ago (so I know it's now sound).

The two rafted boats on it heard/felt a bang one day. A while later, while everyone was off the boat(s), it drifted away.

Fortunately due to winds and current, the pair did not hit anything, and someone was able to toss an anchor for temporary security.

The shackle stayed with the chain; it, too, had been moused (in fine shape, still brilliant), but the threads had degraded far enough for that 'bang' to be the shackle separating with the pin still moused.

Eventually the force was sufficient to open the shackle sufficiently for the ring on the bottom to escape, freeing the mooring and pendant, along with its cargo.

All is well that ends well, but frequent inspection and massively oversized hardware seems to be the only (entirely) safe answer.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 09:47   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
does any ever use soft shackles? they are becoming very popular in the paragliding world. stronger than metal shackles. Also, why is it not standard to have a back up to the shackle? seems pretty easy to rig a secondary back up in case of failure.
with no specific knowledge, I would think that inspection and changing once a year would be good piece of mind for securing a boat.
Unfortunately the wear you get underwater usually means that anything short of a good piece of chain will wear through in a couple of weeks. (note, tidal moorings are particularly rough on rode/rope)
charliepsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 12:07   #43

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Having had a good look at the shackle,
I would say that although the pin was very tight, some movement occurred between the pin and the non treaded hole, due to some corrosion and poor fit, this led to a failing of the threads, which then also suffered wear..
No where near wearing out, that would of taken 4 or 5 years maybe longer judging by the condition of the rest of the mooring

When I first took over the mooring the 5/8 chain had worn to about 3/16 hence why everything is oversized.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 12:11   #44

Shackles worry me now days, due to the limits on proper galvanizing. That protection on steel is what the main issue is. I'm not sure if US made shackles have good galvanizing on them anymore or not. ?

What say ye? Does the modern galvanizing had that dull grey lead finish or more bright?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 05:58   #45

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

In NSW Australia, it's a condition of your mooring licence for the mooring to be inspected and serviced yearly.

Any galvanised fitting, eg shackle , rigging screw etc, smear the threads etc with lanolin (or spray with lanotec). Much the cheapest , and very effective. Incidentally also very good with stainless bolts and screws in aluminium, including masts!
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote