Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2020, 17:45   #61

Re: 3/4 Shackle failed < 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
You'd need a commercial diver, I expect, to attach that to the mooring
We lift all moorings to the surface to service them.
People wonder why their boats end up on the rocks or the beach.
BeforeIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 18:08   #62

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

In my local harbor the moorings have various equipment and inspection requirements. The gear is fairly heavy, with different sizes of bottom and top chain. The requirements reference standards for the shackles.
There are inspection requirement as well. The local barges regularly haul up multi ton dead weight moorings for inspection. My bottom chain is 3/4” and the top 5/8” I think. Heavy boat.

But it’s really all about the mooring maintenance. My town permit is conditioned on regular maintenance. I think I spend an average of $350 -450 per year on that. And the mooring company has been servicing the harbor for 35+ years and has 1000+ annual customers. It’s a crowded harbor.
Find an expert and pay if you can. It is a lot less than the insurance deductible.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 03:45   #63

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeforeIDie View Post
We lift all moorings to the surface to service them.
People wonder why their boats end up on the rocks or the beach.
If you've got gear that can lift (obviously not buried, then) moorings, then so can the wind and waves.

I applaud your lifting them, and peening (any shackle I've attempted to damage has been very resistant to that - I once BROKE a 36" bolt cutter attempting to remove one of only 5/16" - what do you use to secure the shackle and how big is the peen?) the heated (does that weaken the shackle? I dunno, but would worry about it) shackle (and later cutting it off when it needs replacing?). That should deal with the shackle problem, particularly if it's a yearly place/remove exercise as it is in Monroe Harbor, MI.

Where I want to moor, if I should want to spend the money to do so, I want something like the Vero Beach City Marina, where it's either a very long concrete column sunk like a dock piling, or a helical screw many feet into the bottom.

Too many instances of boats in the woods complete with their concrete blocks for my taste for something which can be raised without a major ship...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote