Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2013, 09:29   #106

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: 3 Strand or 8 Plait for Anchor Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
just to provide some facts/numbers on the chain connector question . . .

Crosby are the people who I would buy any of these from. They are a very high quality supplier who proof test pretty much everything, and they offer all the major options.

so taking their data (which is apples to apples) and looking at tensile strength to make sure that different working load safety factors are not being used:

G4 chain = 8100lbs tensile

G4 C Connector = 11,000lbs

G7 H connector = 21,600lbs (what Jedi is suggesting)

So, Jedi's connector is certainly stronger than the G4 C connector. However, the C connector is a bit stronger than the matching chain. If I was using G7 chain like Jedi I would use the same connector he is using.

But if you are using regular or G4 chain (which the vast majority of us are using) the question is: is a connector that is 35% stronger than the chain acceptable (the C connector that I use), or do you 'need' or want one that is almost double the strength of the chain.

I actually have a couple of the H connectors on board, but in practice I use the C connectors because (a) I find they run thu the windless a little better, (b) I think they are less likely to accidentally come undone (lose a cotter pin on the H and it comes apart), and (c) I think they C are well strong enough.

But I would certainly not be bothered by either connector, they are both perfectly acceptable.
With the Crosby C connnectors, I assume you still recommend your procedure of using sealant, mousing, and Spectra lashing?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 10:19   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
With the Crosby C connnectors, I assume you still recommend your procedure of using sealant, mousing, and Spectra lashing?
Yes, both easy to do, and good "belt and braces".

Just for full disclosure . . . I should note that I got new main chain two winters ago, and right now have it all in one piece. I have been single handing, and am trying to simply things, and one was to eliminate the occasional need to bring out and join a second length of chain. So I have no connectors in the primary system right now.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 10:28   #108

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Yes, both easy to do, and good "belt and braces".

Just for full disclosure . . . I should note that I got new main chain two winters ago, and right now have it all in one piece. I have been single handing, and am trying to simply things, and one was to eliminate the occasional need to bring out and join a second length of chain. So I have no connectors in the primary system right now.
Many Thanks. Have also appreciated your informative website (esp. the FAQ's), and Beth's comprehensive book is a permanent & frequently consulted fixture onboard!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor