Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 20:55   #16

Re: 4 Boats Aground in Hilo, HI

Boats on the beach in Hilo are a regular thing. I think it was just 6 or 7 months ago that there was a craigslist add for a free 50 foot steel boat that just needed to be hauled off of the beach. When I lived there in the early 70s there was at least one boat that dragged ashore and was totaled. Same old, Same old. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 21:42   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yes...I'd would actually like to see a law by the People for the People, stating that the People elected officials supply a safe mooring field with breakwater. Government is suppose to serve the people, not the other way around.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 00:50   #18

Boat: Able 50

I have always thought that Lahaina could use a second harbor. You could probably fill a 200 boat harbor in the first year. Opposite the cannery would be a good place.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 07:50   #19

Another of the reasons I know they do not want to improve conditions in the Islands is the type of populations the anchorages attracted. If you see Keehi and other anchorages, often times they are full of drug addicts. But then again, that is a problem they do not want to do anything about. There is a lack of treatment on the Islands and the law enforcement is useless there. It's such a tight-knit community that more time than not the drug addict is some how related to one of the cops.
I lived on the Big Island for 7 years and was told this by a former cop.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 26-01-2014, 07:59   #20

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Anyone know the name of the aluminum boat that went ashore? I couldn't quite read the transom lettering on the newspaper photo. Thanks
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 08:34   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Thanks for the feed Skipj!

I love the tone of the article.... First line...

Heavy winds and high surf wreaked havoc with trees, utility lines and even a few boats

"even a few boats"!

(holy cut and paste fiasco.... )

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 10:26   #22

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Am I reading this thread right? Are people saying that the state of Hawaii should install moorings for boaters? You mean mooring chains and balls attached to the bottom in a way that will hold in any expectable weather, the way that smart boaters do in other places? Are there states that do that? Or are you saying that the state or localities should set requirements for moorings, and they don't want to do that?

Making breakwaters is clearly a government issue, though they have been environmentally blasted in some places for causing unintended consequences. But complaining that the state does not set and maintain moorings? Are we putting moorings in the same category as highways, bridges? I've never sailed in Hawaii; tell me if I misunderstand the comments. And is this the same forum that was excoriating a guy in Florida for being a low-life mooch who didn't take care of his own responsibilities because his dinghy was inadequate for the surf, and his anchor dragged and put his boat on the beach, costing the town $200, and he accepted free grapefruit from a camp of homeless people?
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 12:23   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I'll just say that my feeling is that where the state has an mooring area and charges for mooring/anchoring there should be some sort of infrastructure in place. Yes, I think there are state or county or city moorings in other states. As you suggest I think there could be a minimal accepted guideline for a mooring. Am I expecting too much?

I'd like to hear about what your and other CF local government has for infrastructure for mooring fields.
Old 26-01-2014, 13:47   #24

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

We are planning on cruising to Hawaii mid April 15 working our way through the islands staying on the west-north side of the island departing early September to Portland. From all that I have read the summer months north sides of the islands are relatively free of storm effects. Even though the anchoring is hit or miss. Do you local guys see problems anchoring in the summer months on these north aspect side of the islands?

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 13:50   #25

Just to name a few...

Boat Camp Buoy Project
Boating & Camping – Angel Island Conservancy
Harbor Patrol - Avalon, California

....and the largest here in Ca...
The San Diego Mooring Company - Our Rates

I know some other States do not do this. They have convinced the general public that putting in moorings would turn it into a Nanny State. In so doing convince the boat owners to install there own, maintain there own, be responsible for any damage but...pay the State for the privilege of a permit, monthly.
The job of the State Government is to oversee the safety and welfare of it's citizens and their property. The State builds storm drains and levees to safeguard against flooding. Created a Forestry department to minimize forest fires. Created the FAA to ensure passenger safety.
Old 26-01-2014, 14:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
We are planning on cruising to Hawaii mid April 15 working our way through the islands staying on the west-north side of the island departing early September to Portland. From all that I have read the summer months north sides of the islands are relatively free of storm effects. Even though the anchoring is hit or miss. Do you local guys see problems anchoring in the summer months on these north aspect side of the islands?

Jack
Aloha Jack,
Make certain your anchorage areas are approved by the state or you'll have folks coming by with a ticket book. Check charts and get a copy of the cruising guides. You should have no problems getting temporary mooring permits and even temporary slips are available at some marinas. Sometimes inspections are required. Here on the Big Island there are no anchorages worth trying (very deep and exposed to to swell) from Hilo north and then down Mahukona on the northwest side. South of Hilo to Southpoint, again, no anchorages until you get to Honomalino Bay just south of Milolii. Strong southerley current south of Milolii toward Southpoint. There are anchorages at Reeds Bay and Radio Bay in Hilo. As we've been saying, the holding in Reeds Bay is not good but in summer months is suitable.
Hope you have a great visit here.
Old 26-01-2014, 14:39   #27

Surrymark,

"And is this the same forum that was excoriating a guy in Florida for being a low-life mooch who didn't take care of his own responsibilities because his dinghy was inadequate for the surf, and his anchor dragged and put his boat on the beach, costing the town $200, and he accepted free grapefruit from a camp of homeless people?"

I'm not certain how this ties together but not any one of us as a forum member speaks for the whole forum. Some folks here praised his free spirit.

I think your points are well taken. I don't want to have a nanny state nor a state that controls everything. However, I'd like to see a bit of infrastructure, i. e. dinghy dock and boat ramp somewhere near the mooring area. At this time there is a mooring permit required with proof of insurance, an annual boat inspection required with no infrastructure in place. A few boats are damaged each year by other boats slipping their moorings while unattended and running down other boats. There is no inspection of moorings or ground tackle.
Old 26-01-2014, 15:07   #28

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Jack,
Make certain your anchorage areas are approved by the state or you'll have folks coming by with a ticket book. Check charts and get a copy of the cruising guides. You should have no problems getting temporary mooring permits and even temporary slips are available at some marinas. Sometimes inspections are required. Here on the Big Island there are no anchorages worth trying (very deep and exposed to to swell) from Hilo north and then down Mahukona on the northwest side. South of Hilo to Southpoint, again, no anchorages until you get to Honomalino Bay just south of Milolii. Strong southerley current south of Milolii toward Southpoint. There are anchorages at Reeds Bay and Radio Bay in Hilo. As we've been saying, the holding in Reeds Bay is not good but in summer months is suitable.
Hope you have a great visit here.
Thanks great advise.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote