Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 14:24   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: 65' of chain - right amount for Pacific Northwest with no windlass?

I have the exact same setup, except with 60' of G4 not 100', and I can manage it without a windless or using chain hooks to winch etc. It's quite tiring though!
Old 23-07-2016, 07:02   #47

Boat: Scout 30

For me the biggest problem cruising without a windlass is when you're singlehanding & it's really blowing or you're fighting a current. In those cases it can be difficult & even dangerous pulling up to the anchor without assist from the engine. However, if you'll always have someone to man the helm you should be fine. Just establish some hand signals.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 10:55   #48

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
For me the biggest problem cruising without a windlass is when you're singlehanding & it's really blowing or you're fighting a current. In those cases it can be difficult & even dangerous pulling up to the anchor without assist from the engine. However, if you'll always have someone to man the helm you should be fine. Just establish some hand signals.
Thanks for the input... don't envision any singlehanding anytime in my near future so should be able to do the hauling while my wife is at the helm...
Old 24-07-2016, 06:22   #49

Boat: Pearson 34-II

B,
You have a relatively heavy boat for 32 feet. Pulling an all chain rode without a windlass is a workout in good conditions, and a struggle when things deteriorate. I have a 34' boat, dry weight 11,800 with no windlass. When in cruise mode, we weigh over 13,000 lbs. My original setup was 35 feet of 5/16 chain and 250' of 5/8 rode with a 35 lb CQR as my primary anchor. I found after sitting through some 50-knot blows that I needed a heavier chain. Today, I have 40 feet of 3/8" chain with 250 feet of rode. I sleep more securely now and still do not have an unbalanced boat with too much weight in the bow. I use a pair of rubber work gloves when I pull the hook which gives me a secure grip on the chain--especially when muddy. I do not use a chain stopper but rather my bow cleat when hauling the rode if I need to take a rest. I do not know the specifics of your cruising ground but, as a general comment, I would say if you are strong, in good physical shape and can pull the hook quickly, you should be able to operate without a windlass for many years. We have sailed 18,000 miles without a windlass in bottoms and conditions good and bad and the only serious problem we had was when we set two hooks Bahamian Style and had one hook wrap our keel during a wind shift that exposed us to building winds and a questionable lee shore. So, try it for awhile(pulling your hook by hand) in all weather and bottom conditions and you'll soon have your answer in regards to a windlass. Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
pacific northwest, wind, windlass