Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39   #166

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: A Plea For Decent Anchor Lights.

" I am still puzzled why strobes are sold as distress signals (and included on epirbs) when they are not recognized as such by the rule, and 'shall be avoided'."

Evan, perhaps it is merely that "truth in advertising" hasn't caught up with the manufacturers, who see themselves as helping to save lives....while purchasers who may be in the water at night want very much to be seen. Do the Colregs apply to persons overboard?

Ann
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40   #167

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Evans, could it be because the personal strobe is not fitted to a vessel, but rather to a person?

It is confusing for sure!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41   #168

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Jeeze, I think that I have been living with this woman too long! There was no communication between us re the above two posts!

Jim
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If Colregs say you shall not use a strobe or flashing light then what is suggested as the proper way to signal distress or attract attention, other than waving and screaming?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03   #170
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If Colregs say you shall not use a strobe or flashing light then what is suggested as the proper way to signal distress or attract attention, other than waving and screaming?
Three shots into the air.

(Probably not a good way to signal the Coast Guard, however.)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:10   #171
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

No point in banging on , I disagree with your interpretation , you with mine.

Its clear that EPIRBS fall outside the scope of the COLREGS , hence they dont apply, equally a person in the water may use a strobe in whatever capacity they desire, again these are outside of the COLREGS. The COLREGS do not prohibit things they dont cover.

As to "shall' coupled with 'avoid' , thats one for the lawyers. My original comments where about the assumption that strobes are an indication of distress. Clearly under the COLREGs they are not.

Furthermore I see no prohibition on using strobes for other purposes, the wording in rule 36 ( yes the 4 was a typo) is very clear that the 'avoid' applies to this rule only Vessels may exhibit all sorts of lights as long as their intention does not confuse them for navigation lights. Hence I see no issue with using a strobe for anti collision warnings and such strobes have become more common on small yachts, specifically for that. Clearly Rule 36 covers the actions taken specifically to attract the attention of other vessels, equally a yacht flashing an anti collision strobe, is not specifically seeking the attention of a vessel.

It must be stated that several accident reports have mentioned that strobes are not recognised anti-collision lights, but have not mentioned that they are specifically prohibited by the COLREGS for that specific purpose. In this regards they are exactly like the use of white flares ( also sold as anti collision ) in that the COLREGS does not mention their use.

Its clear however that the COLREGS should be updated to allow white strobes to be used as an indication of distress, thus bringing EPIRBS, and the US position into the COLREGS.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:27   #172
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Three shots into the air.

(Probably not a good way to signal the Coast Guard, however.)
Or the local marine patrol.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22   #173

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Rule 37 - ***US inland rule only*** A high intensity white flashing light (50-70 times per minutes) is considered a distress signal.

The COLREG does not prohibit strobes as described above for off shore, it discourages them since they can be blinding at night (Go figure). Here is a link from the Philippine's Martime Academy that has a long discussion on the use of white strobes...
Navigators International Rules of the Road' 1998 Ed. - F. Ventosa - Google Books

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:12   #174
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
EPIRB is fully regulated in GMDSS regulations. Another exam that I had to pass in order to be allowed to purchase and use EPIRB, SSB, Inmarsat Class-C etc.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24   #175
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
EPIRB is fully regulated in GMDSS regulations. Another exam that I had to pass in order to be allowed to purchase and use EPIRB, SSB, Inmarsat Class-C etc.
Use yes , purchase no, anyone can buy them

Dave
Old 07-05-2013, 11:51   #176

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Use yes , purchase no, anyone can buy them

Dave
Now, may be (everywhere?). Back then, no. You could not even buy a VHF radio without operators certificate when I first got that... on my 14th.

I just checked regulations for distress signals for maritime use and they are regulated by the SOLAS regulations. This includes the strobes.

I think the US can't comply so they have their own regulations as defined by the USCG which is why they have added it I think. Just like the pyrotechnics, life vests etc.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01   #177
Nearly an old salt

In my neck of the woods you could always buy but not operate unlicensed radio emitting equipment !

Dave
Old 07-05-2013, 12:08   #178
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Now, may be (everywhere?). Back then, no. You could not even buy a VHF radio without operators certificate when I first got that... on my 14th.

I just checked regulations for distress signals for maritime use and they are regulated by the SOLAS regulations. This includes the strobes.

I think the US can't comply so they have their own regulations as defined by the USCG which is why they have added it I think. Just like the pyrotechnics, life vests etc.
The US is a signatory , so that can't be the case. I beleive the US rules are inland waters only.

Dave
Old 07-05-2013, 13:05   #179

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

The US is a signatory , so that can't be the case. I beleive the US rules are inland waters only.

Dave
Correct; when you sail internationally, your flares, lifevests etc. must conform to SOLAS. This means 12-gauge flares do not comply IIRC. I meet many who think their USCG approved flares and safety items are valid outside the US. I once got some 12-gauge flares and was boarded by coast guard who checked and approved them. These were strange longer than normal shells, reducing diameter for the extra length. May be those are SOLAS approved? This was Colobian CG so may be they are okay with USCG approved.

For the strobe light: sailors from outside the US must check SOLAS, not COLREGS for regulations. I mention this because I read that it was deemed not allowed or regulated.

The reason they don't want us to use a strobe as navigation light is because it is only used for distress or danger or other extreme situations. So, a masthead strobe should never be used under sail to "make them see you better". Or to help son find the boat after drinking or anything like that. It is allowed to use when pirates have boarded or other distress situations. Also, there are strobes to throw after MOB instead of the old normal lights that I still see so often. Genuine distress.

Here is a masthead strobe from Aquasignal that is also IMO approved (so international) : http://www.aquasignal.info/ecat/htdo...48&item_id=327

Old 07-05-2013, 13:27   #180

Quote:

For the strobe light: sailors from outside the US must check SOLAS, not COLREGS for regulations. I mention this because I read that it was deemed not allowed or regulated.
Colregs is the international standard to avoid collision at sea regardless of where you are (unless inland waterways, obviously).

Colregs does not deal with lifevests and lights for them and such things.

Equipment (lifevests etc) falls under SOLAS for the international approval, and USCG for the US (it's usually a matter of applying and paying for the second approval).

Quote:
The reason they don't want us to use a strobe as navigation light is because it is only used for distress or danger or other extreme situations. So, a masthead strobe should never be used under sail to "make them see you better". Or to help son find the boat after drinking or anything like that. It is allowed to use when pirates have boarded or other distress situations. Also, there are strobes to throw after MOB instead of the old normal lights that I still see so often. Genuine distress.
You are once again confusing matters: Colregs does NOT deal with MOB situations, liferafts, lights on horse shoes, life slings, or anything of the sort.

Quote:
Here is a masthead strobe from Aquasignal that is also IMO approved (so international) : aqua signal - Recreational boats - Navigation lights - Series 40 - Sailboat lights and strobe lights - Article number 3545052000
IMO stands for 'International Maritime Organization', and as such, they have been instrumental in drafting the SOLAS convention, and I believe they have had a hand in drafting the COLREGS (as a convention to be signed etc.) But COLREGS and SOLAS are not the same. One deals with avoiding collisions at sea, the other deals with safety at sea and equipment standards (as does the USCG). I hope you can make out which is SOLAS and which is COLREG.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor