Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 20:04   #286
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: A Plea For Decent Anchor Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Ok, since you asked

Right hand column, 2nd dot point. An illegal action voids my cover.

Your move.
Or even left hand column, 2nd dot point might apply: failure to maintain your boat..... in compliance with any statutory requirements.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:10   #287

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by frant View Post
My intention is to have a black marker pen handy at all times. If rudely awakened by black ball police I will jump up, colour my balls black and proceed on deck with full display of black anchor ball (and a spare just to make sure)
Two black anchor balls and a fleshy bowsprit!? ;-) ... now there's a internationally understood signal to "stay clear of this vessel"!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:39   #288

Boat: Camano Troll

I will start working on an electrically powered anchor ball similar to an anchor light. Turn it on and it makes a black circle.

If I can get this right, it will be a combination anchor light and anchor ball depending on the position of the switch.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:44   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
It makes you safer from getting screwed by the lawyers in case of a collision with your anchored boat.
It seems to me that anyone so inattentive or drunk that they would run into a stationary boat on the water wouldn't notice an anchor ball on that boat.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:53   #290

Without an black ball you are "saying" that if a boat approaches you will behave like a vessel that can maneuver as if underway. If that is your intent then skip the black ball. I suppose the creators of the regulations considered that a day signal for underway and maneuverable was less convenient than a black ball. Duh.

Get over it or get off the water. And given a few weeks thought even a powerboater could come up with a way to mount a black ball above the foredeck ... Maybe.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:22   #291
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Or even left hand column, 2nd dot point might apply: failure to maintain your boat..... in compliance with any statutory requirements.
I wouldn't pay tuppence for that insurance policy, cause its no such thing

Dave
Old 10-05-2013, 04:41   #292
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I wouldn't pay tuppence for that insurance policy, cause its no such thing

Dave
Not even a ha'penny?

I do confess that the disclaimers do give me pause. Have a call into my insurer to ask them their policy on this.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:47   #293
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not even a ha'penny?

I do confess that the disclaimers do give me pause. Have a call into my insurer to ask them their policy on this.
I specifically clarified this with by insurers some years ago. ( Im a stickler for reading the fine print). They confirmed that I was covered for my own negligence ( I mean whats the point of insurance other wise), as long as such negligence was not criminal, infractions of rules, such as speeding, minor regulations etc, did not invalidate my cover. Ignoring the lawful authority of the police, the Minister etc DID invalidate my cover.

Dave
Old 10-05-2013, 06:42   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Without an black ball you are "saying" that if a boat approaches you will behave like a vessel that can maneuver as if underway. If that is your intent then skip the black ball. I suppose the creators of the regulations considered that a day signal for underway and maneuverable was less convenient than a black ball. Duh.

Get over it or get off the water. And given a few weeks thought even a powerboater could come up with a way to mount a black ball above the foredeck ... Maybe.
Dude, don't get your panties in a wad.

Get off the water? Seriously? I suppose you're going to personally take care of that?

If it makes you feel superior to other boaters because you display an anchor ball and they don't, that's fine, but it's something best kept to yourself. You're not making points on a web forum.

Just to be sure you follow all the rules and not selected ones, I have a question:

Before backing down on your anchor to set it, do you sound three horn blasts as required?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:27   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I specifically clarified this with by insurers some years ago. ( Im a stickler for reading the fine print). They confirmed that I was covered for my own negligence ( I mean whats the point of insurance other wise), as long as such negligence was not criminal, infractions of rules, such as speeding, minor regulations etc, did not invalidate my cover. Ignoring the lawful authority of the police, the Minister etc DID invalidate my cover.

Dave
The question is, if you were in the process of an illegal activity such as drug running and were involved in a collision, could the insurance company deny claims of innocent victims in the boat you hit?

If that is the case, none of us are safe on the water unless we carry uninsured boater insurance as well as our own collision and liability insurance.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55   #296

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If that is the case, none of us are safe on the water unless we carry uninsured boater insurance as well as our own collision and liability insurance.
Correct, and not only reason to have uninsured boater rider on your policy.

With this rider in case of getting hit by the drug runner, your insurance would pay for your damages, and then their lawyers would go after the drug runner for compensation. Without, you would need to hire a lawyer and hope for the best.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:00   #297

Quote:
Correct, and not only reason to have uninsured boater rider on your policy.

With this rider in case of getting hit by the drug runner, your insurance would pay for your damages, and then their lawyers would go after the drug runner for compensation. Without, you would need to hire a lawyer and hope for the best.
OK. I do have uninsured boater insurance. I suspect many boaters in my area do not have any insurance at all. That probably goes for most of the world as well.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:01   #298

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It seems to me that anyone so inattentive or drunk that they would run into a stationary boat on the water wouldn't notice an anchor ball on that boat.
You are missing my point. Doesn't matter what the drunk boater saw, or even if he knows what a black ball means. But if his insurance company can assign 50% or 30% or whatever responsibility onto you for not displaying an anchor ball per COLREGS they will do so.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:25   #299

Quote:
You are missing my point. Doesn't matter what the drunk boater saw, or even if he knows what a black ball means. But if his insurance company can assign 50% or 30% or whatever responsibility onto you for not displaying an anchor ball per COLREGS they will do so.
Whatever.

This is getting nowhere as with most of these discussions.

Do you comply with all the rules? Horn signals at 6:00 AM when leaving a slip? Horn signals when backing into a slip? If another boater calls you on the VHF and asks for a slow pass, do you slow down or rigidly maintain course and speed?

Let's hear it.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32   #300
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Well other then San Diego (which has way too many rules anyway) is there any other US port that is enforcing Anchor balls. I know in the last 10 years, I've not seen a single anchor ball on any anchored vessel I've been around. Or if it had one I did not see it. I know the CG does not enforce it or check on it.

I'm just not going to worry about it. Leastwise not in the US or mexico.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor