Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 18:38   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
A Second Wind for Rocna

From another sailing site---

CANADA METAL PACIFIC ACQUIRES ROCNA ANCHORS

Just maybe, this means a "second wind" or should that be "second sale" for Rocna or at least another chance. Time will tell.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 19:19   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: A second wind for Rocna

Yes.

Canada Metal Pacific Acquires Rocna Anchors » Rocna Anchors
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 20:21   #3

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I certainly hope so, with all the bad press the Chinese Roncas have received, I wonder if they will be reviewing their business plan.

It will be interesting to see if they move their operations to the Great White North, Kiwiland, or keep them in China.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 20:37   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Second sale = third wind. And from the Rocna press release cited above, Peter Smith appears once again to be involved.

Don't wiff a third time, Peter. Three strikes and you're out.
Old 28-09-2011, 04:02   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I would bet that all the Rocna trashing on forums has hardly made any difference in sales. Probably just has made a good marketing opportunity for the new owner to "turn it around"!
Old 28-09-2011, 04:34   #6

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I would bet that all the Rocna trashing on forums has hardly made any difference in sales. Probably just has made a good marketing opportunity for the new owner to "turn it around"!
Perhaps. But I suspect that the West Marine return offer was noticed by other vendors, the owners and the purchasing company. I wouldn't be surprised if the company's valuation took a hit from that. Given the acknowledged quality of the design, the new owners may have gotten a bargain.

Does anyone know anything about the acquiring company? A perusal of their web site suggests that, at least, they own their own manufacturing facilities in Canada and China and have been in the manufacturing business for a while. Their footprint seems to be comparable in both countries, but, since the Canada office has corporate and engineering functions, the bulk of manufacturing is probably at the China plant.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 04:52   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Very interesting news. It means that the current regime is basically out of business. I am not surprised -- if most of the company's whole production of the last couple of years was intentionally manufactured out of spec, it spells doom, basically. It doesn't take much of a percentage of your sales to come back to bankrupt you. Those guys basically committed suicide.

So, it's good news for us. The new company looks serious. I bet they will be publishing very detailed -- an accurate -- information about metallurgy of their production, in order to make a clean break with the past. Great news, really!

Nevertheless, I am planning to hand in my own Rocna this fall. I have decided to buy a Spade like I had on my old boat. The latest and, to date, most sophisticated anchor test I have seen (Practical Boat Owner, August) confirms my subjective impression -- the Spade is considerably better than the Rocna. Surprisingly, the tests showed the Rocna performing much better than the Manson Supreme.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 04:59   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
I would bet that all the Rocna trashing on forums has hardly made any difference in sales.
I doubt it. I have had no less than about 20 customers who initially wanted a Rocna but bought a Manson Supreme instead. And these are just people I know. This does not include forum folks. Not a single person I know has bought a Rocna since this debacle began..

People shop with "internet pricing" these days. All one has to do is type in Rocna and you'll get the good with the bad. Also if you get Practical Sailor or Yachting Monthly, and were considering a Rocna, you probably are not anymore..

Quote:
Probably just has made a good marketing opportunity for the new owner to "turn it around"!
Yes they are prime for a good HONEST turn around..
Old 28-09-2011, 05:24   #9

Boat: searching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I doubt it. I have had no less than about 20 customers who initially wanted a Rocna but bought a Manson Supreme instead. And these are just people I know. This does not include forum folks. Not a single person I know has bought a Rocna since this debacle began..

People shop with "internet pricing" these days. All one has to do is type in Rocna and you'll get the good with the bad. Also if you get Practical Sailor or Yachting Monthly, and were considering a Rocna, you probably are not anymore..

Yes they are prime for a good HONEST turn around..
Maine Sail - you know now 21 :-)

cheers Marco
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 05:45   #10

Boat: Ohlson 38

I own a Rocna and am considering trading it for a Manson. The only way my faith in Rocna could be restored is if the new owners manufactured them in a country other than China. I'm sure that China is perfectly capable of fabricating a world class anchor but emotionally, I can't bring myself to trust them.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 05:54   #11

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

CMP supply anchor chain, anchor chain made by CHINA RUDONG CHAIN WORKS INC
China Rudong Chain Works Inc - Supplier Profile / Detailed Company Information, Imports & Exports

CMP and CMP GLOBAL are the same company
http://www.cmpglobal.com/content/

CMP GLOBAL have a subsidiary called http://www.ningbojiada.com/content/en/about.html

I would imagine the anchors will still be made there as well
What does it matter as long as they are done to spec.
Old 28-09-2011, 20:00   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: A Second Wind for Rocna

Well, it looks like there is a real company behind the acquisition.

They are going to have to perform at 110%, immediately and with out any more obfuscations.

If they don't show a change in a hurry, how would any trust be build back up?

Seeing Peter Smith involved is a positive, but he has to keep Craig quiet
Old 28-09-2011, 20:36   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I'm happy with their chain, they have been in the marine chain business for a long time.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 04:02   #14

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

That outfit has been building topnotch hydraulic drives under their own name and for a lot of other name brands for a while. I'm sure that they'll do a good job of it. I've wanted a Rocna too but held off once I heard the fuss about quality. I'll wait a bit longer and see what happens. The Manson line isn't in Canada and the thick shank in the size I want doesn't fit my roller anyway so patience is the name of the game...
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 05:11   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Sounds like the new owners could make a top notch Rocna, but whether they will is another thing...............might decide to stick with the lunch hook approach with an anchor made of cheese, but with a bit more PR added.

Time will tell.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna