Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 06:23   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Adding more chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't work and be strong, except the weld would be rust-prone. I also don't see why anyone in a performance-oriented sailboat would want to load it with more than 100' of chain in the southern New England area. Maybe he's planning on taking it south where there's coral? IDK

There's also the Crosby connecting links. With 5/16" G4 chain I'd move a size up to a 3/8" connecting link (to get strength closer to the G4) and back it up with Dyneema lashings (5mm or 1/4"). The 3/8" link won't fit the gypsy but it should pass through OK.
Thanks
Old 20-05-2016, 06:24   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Doesn't matter to me if a link would "technically" be as strong as the chain. Far as I'm concerned it is crazy to have a chain link attached to the section of ones' rode that is always going to be in the water. It goes against everything you are looking to accomplish in an anchor rode and to go a cheap route just for 25' of chain is just foolish.
Thanks
Old 20-05-2016, 06:46   #18

Boat: Corbin 39

I ve studied this for awhile now and though the links are said to be as strong , I still have my doubts. If you could I would just go with the 100 ft of chain and call it a day.
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:18   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Connections linking chain are ubiquitous. If not within the length of the rode, they will be at the anchor with a shackle or a swivel. For many years I cut off and added shots of chain by linking together and frequently anchored, sometimes in storms.

I sometimes hear of damage from chafed snubbers or nylon rodes and we all hear of vessels dragging and causing damage. I've heard of uninspected mooring chains failing or severely neglected corroded chain failing. I've also heard of problems with cheap poorly forged products.

I won't say it doesn't ever happen, but I have not seen or heard of events where people anchoring with well fit links on their chains have been disappointed when they are from a reliable supply such as Crosby.
Old 20-05-2016, 18:10   #20

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
V700s are fussy. Just use the 100'. And use a longsplice. (is the rope 1/2?)

Yes, 1/2" 8 braid rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 18:13   #21

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Quote:
I don't see why it wouldn't work and be strong, except the weld would be rust-prone. I also don't see why anyone in a performance-oriented sailboat would want to load it with more than 100' of chain in the southern New England area. Maybe he's planning on taking it south where there's coral? IDK

There's also the Crosby connecting links. With 5/16" G4 chain I'd move a size up to a 3/8" connecting link (to get strength closer to the G4) and back it up with Dyneema lashings (5mm or 1/4"). The 3/8" link won't fit the gypsy but it should pass through OK.

Yes, the boat is designed to be a racer but we are going to be cruising it in the mediterranean. I will have to update my info soon.

Could you elaborate on what you mean with dyneema lashings?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:48   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
I don't see why it wouldn't work and be strong, except the weld would be rust-prone. .
Since I cut off and replace my chain locker is about half full of rusty chain anyway and one does not notice the one I have welded on amongst those without any gal on at all.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote