Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2022, 08:43   #1

Adding more windage, would you upgrade anchor gear?

I'm getting ready to add a lot more windage to my boat in the form of more panels over my davits. The 2 panels measure 80" wide by 87" long together.

I have finally convinced myself that the benefits of more solar would out weigh the negatives. The idea of being able to use air conditioning, and electric propulsion without using ICE for charging is too tempting.

I want to hear some opinions on my current anchor gear and what I should upgrade to.

Currently I have a 110lb Bruce anchor with 400' of 3/8 g43 chain .

The boat is 53' , and I'm guessing it weighs at least 30 tons loaded

She already has quite a bit of windage and yaws a lot at anchor.

I have always felt the 3/8" chain looked small on the boat.

Would you go for 1/2" chain on a boat like this? Who is using 1/2" chain out there for boats this size?

The 110lb Bruce has not one time dragged on me, but I have only seen winds sustained to 55 knots .

Considering upgrading to a mantus 125lb or 155lb . What do you think?

I have a lofrans Tigres windlass, which does have the option for 1/2" gypsy, but the manufacturer does not think this winch will handle the 1/2" weight very well. Not sure if it's worth it to try and upgrade the motor to 48v

Which windlass would you go for if you had this boat with 1/2" chain , and a 155lb anchor ????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220329_120205_01.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	260790  
Islander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Adding more windage, would you upgrade anchor gear?

We worried (well I did, the wifey just wanted an electric kettle ) when we put a 300w panel on the stern of a 31ft yacht. Needn't of worried.

However we did keep the stern clear of other stuff, so moved the dinghy to fwd of the mast and the valise liferaft to the cabin to help reduce the weight and windage effects. Got rid of those hooped life rings etc.

First real test was late August last year. Faced with several days of F4-5 Easterlies and wanting to go East for 120 miles we just went for it and it wasn't as bad as expected. Bit bumpy going to windward in those conditions and we broke the journey half way for a break, but even the electric kettle stayed put on the galley counter.

To keep the panels free from shading, would you consider moving the radar to the mast and ditching what looks like a wind generator?

This worth a read about anchor chains on a similar sized yacht.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...es-264893.html

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

To keep the panels free from shading, would you consider moving the radar to the mast and ditching what looks like a wind generator?

Pete

The radar is being moved , but to make room for another wind generator. I do worry about shading from the wind gens... But they are so useful while sailing, to keep up with autopilot demands. Under sail I produce very little solar . For now I'm compromising . Hoping that 2 d400 wind gens will make up for losses in shading.

The panels going over the davits are 445 watt bifacial panels . So I'll be adding 890 watts plus another wind gen. Right now there are 3 360 watt panels over the dodger but they suffer from shading badly. Also have 4 200 watt flexible ones I have lashed onto the handrails. But they are pretty useless and will go away soon .
Old 10-07-2022, 10:11   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Just been looking for bi-facials, sadly LG have given up making solar panels and none to be found in the UK. Panasonic had some high voltage panels and they have stopped making those too

Bit of an energy crisis in Europe at the moment, solar panels generally in short supply Might have to kick the can down the road this year.

Could the wind gens tilt outwards like a beam trawler whilst at sea adn back in when in harbour or a marina? just a thought.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete

Looks like a few other people are using 3/8" on boats of this size.

I can get 400' ft of galvanized g70 3/8" chain right now for $4300 it has a breaking strength of 19800lbs
Seems expensive but it's west marine

I can get 300' of 1/2" g43 for $1800 delivered with a breaking strength of 36800 lbs!
But I think I need a new windlass.... I'm leaning more towards the 1/2" and buying a new windlass. But I don't see that many options for windlass for this type of chain. The lofrans falkon appears to be identical to the Tigres , just has a bigger gypsy and 24v 1700 watt vs the Tigres 1500 watt 12v
Old 10-07-2022, 10:42   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Solar panels are thin and do not add much aerodynamic drag, but you do have to be careful with the support structure. Round tubing is much less aerodynamic than would be imagined, but even so the added windage at anchor should be minimal. If you have coped well up to now that should not change in the future.

However, G4 3/8 chain on your boat is not enough in my view. 12mm would be ideal if you can source metric chain, otherwise 1/2 inch. Your windlass will need an upgrade.

An alternative would be 3/8 G7. This will be much cheaper, as you will be able to retain your existing windlass and even gypsy. I think this is the best solution. The drawback is G7 chain is harder to source in remote places. It also has a shorter lifespan although some of this is from the lighter thinner chain moving and abrading the galvanising more than the thicker, heavier equivalent strength G4 chain. Finally, there is some loss of catenary. This can reduce the initial setting performance of the anchor. However, these latter two drawbacks will only be noticed changing from 1/2 G4 to 3/8 G7 not from 3/8 G4 to 3/8 G7.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:20   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

My vote would be to see what happens first.

Adding windage to your stern can actually help your boat weathercock better and horse around much less.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:21   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
My vote would be to see what happens first.

Adding windage to your stern can actually help your boat weathercock better and horse around much less.

I was thinking the same. More windage aft may reduce sailing, so peak loads may actually be lower.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:20   #9

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I had 1/2" chain on a 40' foot Endurance I once owned, and it was very reassuring in a blow at 3am. My present schooner is a bit bigger and heavier and only has 3/8" chain, and I wish I had 1/2" on that as well.
With a ketch or schooner with roller furling it's quite easy to set a small mizzen/main to reduce yaw.
I always set two anchors for overnight anyway, but in a special way, that gives me a second line as a safety measure. see A drag proof method of anchoring
JR
Old 11-07-2022, 08:49   #10

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

You should check and make sure the gypsy will work if switching from G4 or G43 to H7 chain. As on buy or borrow a short length of chain. If you go up a size see if you can get just the gypsy drum as opposed to the entire windlass. Keep in mind you can not easily regalvanize H7 chain. I was told by my windlass manufacturer (Lighthouse) that while they could supply a gypsy that would fit H7 they do not recommend using it as a rode. Something about being too brittle....I have a 42' 30K lbs boat and went up from 5/16 G43 to 3/8 G43. And would use a Spade or Excell not being fond of roll bar anchors in kelp.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 16:45   #11

I think I'm sold on going up to 1/2" chain

$1600 + tax seems like a good deal for 300' of chain . West marine has the same chain for $9.99 per foot plus tax .

This stuff is labeled
"Premium Quality ISO G43 High Test Hot Dipped Galvanized Anchor Chain "

I want to hear some windlass recommendations for 1/2" chain and a 100+lb anchor . This is where it gets tricky cause the boat has 12v and 48volt
And most of these larger windlass are 24v. I would consider a 24v windlass if the price and specs were right .

The lofrans falkon appears to be the same windlass as the Tigres ??? If they use the same gear reduction, I may consider modifying my current Tigres. I can get a 1/2" gypsy for about $1200!!

I have a spare worn out 3/8" gypsy that I'm going to try to machine down to accept the 1/2' chain. We'll see how that goes ..

Tags
anchor, gear, wind