Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 08:31   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Almost got thrown out of the marina for mentioning this.

I anchor my cat from the bow, which is where the windlass is also, and the chain locker and washdown pump/hose. I have a bridle. The boat DOES NOT dance back and forth at anchor - that is a monohull, no-bridle thing. The cat on a bridle is very civilized, even in storms. (It may bow up and down- just like a monohull - but the bridle alleviates any sailing side to side.) Anchored into the wind also allows the open hatches to ventilate below. Yes, sometimes the sun sets in the direction of the stern. For that, we have phifertex (sp?) drop down screening that hangs from the davit/solar panel arch to provide shade.

I would not consider anchoring stern into the wind. Most sterns are not the shape to handle waves in that direction. Maybe ok for fair weather, but overnight when the forecaster gets it wrong is when I would rather be sleeping snug on a bridle, than doing an anchor drill.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 08:47   #17

Boat: Windward Marine Searaker 50

I would suggest looking at an article written by Don Jordan, inventor of the Jordan series drogue. The Jordan Series Drogue is essentially a stern sea anchor and the same principles apply when using an anchor off the stern. The Jordan Series Drogue is a widely accepted and proven technology.

Jordan Series Drogue - Mooring and Anchoring
wgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 08:51   #18

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoodbye View Post
I would suggest looking at an article written by Don Jordan, inventor of the Jordan series drogue. The Jordan Series Drogue is essentially a stern sea anchor and the same principles apply when using an anchor off the stern. The Jordan Series Drogue is a widely accepted and proven technology.

Jordan Series Drogue - Mooring and Anchoring
That is the article that led me to post this thread and after all the testing it seems the way to go, at least on a monohull but getting 50/50 here so wait and see.. mention that technique to other boat people and you're gonna get the looks i got too!!
Old 22-10-2015, 09:10   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I had a Nonsuch 30 that would sail like crazy when anchored. If you anchored off the stern it was wonderful except for the noise of wave hitting the broad, flat transom.
Hello, Bruce...glad to see you and June finished the job! We've made some progress:
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 09:18   #20

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I have anchored by the stern in my Catalina 30 and it works as advertised but I gave it up as a viable tactic because I did not like having a cold wind (and rain) blowing into the cockpit, leaving me stuck inside with the companionway doors shut.

I have also used the bridle trick which works well, up to a point. I found that when the wind truly picked up the boat would eventually tack, running over the bridle arm. The only workable solution I found that worked in all conditions was to set a second anchor at a large, preferably 60 to 90 degree, angle to the first.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 09:22   #21

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I had a Nonsuch 30 that would sail like crazy when anchored. If you anchored off the stern it was wonderful except for the noise of wave hitting the broad, flat transom.
Good on ya, and congrats.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 11:41   #22

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I anchor my cat from the bow, which is where the windlass is also, and the chain locker and washdown pump/hose. I have a bridle. The boat DOES NOT dance back and forth at anchor - that is a monohull, no-bridle thing. The cat on a bridle is very civilized, even in storms. (It may bow up and down- just like a monohull - but the bridle alleviates any sailing side to side.) Anchored into the wind also allows the open hatches to ventilate below. Yes, sometimes the sun sets in the direction of the stern. For that, we have phifertex (sp?) drop down screening that hangs from the davit/solar panel arch to provide shade.

I would not consider anchoring stern into the wind. Most sterns are not the shape to handle waves in that direction. Maybe ok for fair weather, but overnight when the forecaster gets it wrong is when I would rather be sleeping snug on a bridle, than doing an anchor drill.
We have 250' of chain and ALWAYS use a snubber tied off to port and starboard bow cleats. The boat still tacks back-and-forth. The sailing around has more to do with boat design characteristics. If you look around at most anchorages you'll see that the majority of monos over about 30' use snubbers (bridles).
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 11:49   #23

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

We have a canoe stern boat with a centre cockpit, and a raised stern. According to what I am reading here we would be mad to anchor from the bow! I am most certainly trying this out tonight.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-10-2015, 12:21   #24

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Jordan's findings explain the hectic sheering that even a 26tonn 54' monohull may experience.

Not only it was tacking, it swayed almost 90° both sides, at times. On top, chafing and stress looked unbearable long term, and the life was uncomfortable under deck.

To my surprise, I was far better off when mooring the anchor line on the CLEAT AMIDSHIP, the bow remaining consistently in line with the wind :-) :-)
It happened so on a buoy, as we hooked there for practicality...
It turned magic!

Next time, I anchor on bow and take the bridle/snubbed line to cleat amidship.

I anchor on stern only in very quiet situations, operating manually a light anchor (1/3 of main) when taking a bath. It is on textile with 10' chain only...

PS the Jordan drouge lines are a passive line of defence, when going adrift under no sails

- has anyone tried it under storm jib ?
- does it make sense when at anchor ? (No, I'd say..)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 12:52   #25

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

[QUOTE=TheThunderbird;1943860]Jordan's findings explain the hectic sheering that even a 26tonn 54' monohull may experience.

Not only it was tacking, it swayed almost 90° both sides, at times. On top, chafing and stress looked unbearable long term, and the life was uncomfortable under deck.

To my surprise, I was far better off when mooring the anchor line on the CLEAT AMIDSHIP, the bow remaining consistently in line with the wind :-) :-)
It turned magic!

You say "bridle" but singular cleat? Do you tie one end amidships and leave the other on a bow cleat? Do you tie BOTH ends of the bridle to the same midships cleat?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 14:01   #26

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

@ RichandHelen
Sorry for confusion!

On buoy, the loop (bridle) worked on the cleat amidship only.

Sharing the stress on two cleats (bow+amid) may prove beneficial also for changing the orientation (weathercocking).
Have to try yet

Boat remained stable, bow into the wind, as I never experienced before :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 14:09   #27

I only tried anchoring from the stern a couple times. Both were terrible. Water slapping , banging and spraying all over. I ruled it out after that. I'm sure it would be fine in calm weather.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 14:33   #28

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Jordan's findings explain the hectic sheering that even a 26tonn 54' monohull may experience.

It turned magic!

I anchor on stern only in very quiet situations, operating manually a light anchor (1/3 of main) when taking a bath. It is on textile with 10' chain only...

PS the Jordan drouge lines are a passive line of defence, when going adrift under no sails

- has anyone tried it under storm jib ?
- does it make sense when at anchor ? (No, I'd say..)
correct me if i'm wrong and just taking a shot here but maybe the boat is acting like it's lying ahull in that scenario? anyone?
Old 22-10-2015, 15:16   #29

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Well 'running off' before a storm is a well established storm tack-tick so so why not at anchor. Only real difference is the lack of a few knots forward speed which compared to 50kns wind speed is not significant. I would give it a go except my boat lays perfectly quietly to the bow anchor in 50kns and I would get downdraft on the stovepipe if stern to...
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 21:08   #30
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

My Tartan 4100 would sail like a demon when at anchor with even the slightest breeze. With 20 knots of breeze it would break out the anchor every time. I was prepared to sell her the anchoring was so rotten.

Fixed it with a riding sail from Banner Bay. Goes up in minutes and the boat sits like a rock weathervane. We have snoozed well in 30 knot winds and chop while anchored.
I have no connection to Banner Bay (a single guy makes the sails)

Tags
men