Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 15:04   #106

Re: Alternative Anchor Hauling Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
A trip line to the other end of the stock had been common practice to unset an anchor.
You mean tied to a buoy above the anchor (as hanami suggested), or tied to the bow as in the OP, or something else?

Quote:
I think your post accomplished it's intent Groucho. It seems adding some fun is fun....I find it comical but almost sad that some take you serious.
Though I might a apply a little wit from time to time to make a point, in general, I'm not joking.

-- Seneca
Old 05-10-2014, 15:08   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A halyard is a rope ... Yes, very astute.. However a Sheet is also a rope.. and is chosen in size for extra load.. a rode can also be a rope and... once again is bigger/stronger whatever to take the load..
Suggest you Google nautical... Then get sensible... Lmao
By googling "nautical" will I locate the point you failed to make in your post?

-- Seneca
Old 05-10-2014, 15:21   #108

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
A halyard is a rope ... Yes, very astute.. However a Sheet is also a rope.. and is chosen in size for extra load.. a rode can also be a rope and... once again is bigger/stronger whatever to take the load..
Suggest you Google nautical... Then get sensible... Lmao
Lighten up. Only a rope when not used as either. I'm not ever shore there is a rope onboard. A line, painter, hawser or whatever. I think it becomes a non-rope leaving the dock.
Old 05-10-2014, 15:24   #109
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Alternative Anchor Hauling Method

You can take a horse to water... but you can't make him drink..
I'm outs here... your a waste of space

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
By googling "nautical" will I locate the point you failed to make in your post?
Try looking over your head... you may just catch it flying past..
just behind everything else you seem intent on ignoring..
Ypu

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 05-10-2014, 15:27   #110
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Alternative Anchor Hauling Method

Quote:
Lighten up. Only a rope when not used as either. I'm not ever shore there is a rope onboard. A line, painter, hawser or whatever. I think it becomes a non-rope leaving the dock.
aI'm light...
what's your problem.. wanna step out for a dance hunny

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 05-10-2014, 15:39   #111

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
1. A halyard is a rope, nothing more. Any winch which pulls rope can be called a halyard winch, no matter what it's hauling (sail or anchor) or where it's located (mast or bow). If you don't believe me, consult a dictionary.
Actually,it might be more to the point for YOU to consult a sailor about what a halyard is, and what a halyard winch is.

Quote:
2. Where you should mount a halyard winch depends on what it's being used for. A winch being used to adjust sails is conventionally located on the mast because that's the convenient place for that purpose. But that location makes no sense if using the winch to haul an anchor. The bow makes sense.
See above comment. You have no idea how silly you sound!

Quote:
From the manufacturers websites and/or product manuals.

One of the windlasses I mentioned was the Lewmar H2. It has a max pulling power of 1433lbs. Wow! That's a lot! Yeaaaaa, but the WLL is only 360lbs.

http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?i...=110&channel=1

Compare this to the little #20 harken winch. It has a WLL of 1213lbs
Harken
Hmmm... you seem to be comparing a normal working load in the case of the windlass with the catastrophic failure load of the Harken winch. Obviously, if the windlass can pull 1400 lbs, they don't expect it to fail at that load... far from it. But the Harken, should you exceed the MAXIMUM working load of 1213 lbs, is expected to rip from the deck or otherwise be destroyed.

Quote:
When the rode is vertical, scope is 0, and anchor holding power is nil.
Again, your lack of actual experience is showing! When an anchor is deeply buried, as will happen in strong wind conditions, it can be nearly impossible to break out, even with a vertical pull. Fortress often quotes an incident where a USCG cutter had to abandon one of their products because they could not get it out of the sea bed, even with their very powerful hydraulic winches, pulling straight up.

Kiss, you seem unwilling to consider any advice that goes contrary to your preconceived notions. That is your prerogative. Have a great cruise if you ever get a boat and cast off the dock lines.

Jim
Old 05-10-2014, 15:46   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
You mean tied to a buoy above the anchor (as hanami suggested), or tied to the bow as in the OP, or something else?

Though I might a apply a little wit from time to time to make a point, in general, I'm not joking.
I believe I have seen it said buoy or maybe a float to keep it from fouling on the rode. At any rate, being able to pull it to raise the anchor ass end first and get the flukes out. Only wish I had that one time. Think I caught a cable. Cost me an anchor and some rode.

Are you serious about hauling chain by hand?
Old 05-10-2014, 15:47   #113

Hahaha, yes... Best way for him to learn now is actually try it.... Good luck! See you at the chandlery buying the winch within 24 hour...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-10-2014, 16:02   #114

Quote:
I am light...
what's your problem.. wanna step out for a dance hunny
Hell, I'm to ugly and old, 5yrs. on you, I doubt you want to dance with me.

We would probably both enjoy dancing with the biologist looking for a berth. In our dreams.
Old 05-10-2014, 16:19   #115

Quote:
I believe I have seen it said buoy or maybe a float to keep it from fouling on the rode.
gotcha

Quote:
At any rate, being able to pull it to raise the anchor ass end first and get the flukes out.
Wait, you mean fix the line to the fluke end of the anchor? I imagine that would greatly ease breaking out the anchor...but it would retard it's ability yo set in the first place, no? I must be missing something here...

Quote:
Are you serious about hauling chain by hand?
Yissir

-- Seneca
Old 05-10-2014, 16:47   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hmmm... you seem to be comparing a normal working load in the case of the windlass with the catastrophic failure load of the Harken winch. Obviously, if the windlass can pull 1400 lbs, they don't expect it to fail at that load... far from it. But the Harken, should you exceed the MAXIMUM working load of 1213 lbs, is expected to rip from the deck or otherwise be destroyed.
Maximum Working Load and Working Load Limit are synonyms. They each mean the load above which the gear is likely to sustain damage, and eventually fail - not the load at which the gear will fail catastrophically.

Quote:
Again, your lack of actual experience is showing! When an anchor is deeply buried, as will happen in strong wind conditions, it can be nearly impossible to break out, even with a vertical pull. Fortress often quotes an incident where a USCG cutter had to abandon one of their products because they could not get it out of the sea bed, even with their very powerful hydraulic winches, pulling straight up.
If an anchor is deeply buried, sure. Then everyone, including evidently the USCG, is going to have trouble. In any case, I will be better positioned with a winch to break my anchor out than you will be with your windlass.

At a 16:1 MA, the little winch (and mind you, I could get a larger one), I could put, say, 100lbs force on the lever arm, and pull at 1600lbs force. You're windlass can pull,, what, 1500lbs? And, of course, with its much higher WLL, mine will be more likely to survive such abuse than yours.

-- Seneca
Old 05-10-2014, 17:09   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Thread closed. If anyone wants to learn from it, there is a lot of good information from some very knowledgeable and experienced sailors here.

Tags
anchor