Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2020, 02:24   #1

Anchor alarm app

Hi!
looking for recommandation for a good anchor alarm app.
Thanks.
UDIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:21   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Anchor alarm app

For Android:
I'm very happy with Slim Jim's Anchor Alert

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...horalert&hl=en

http://www.slimjimsoftware.co.uk/
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:32   #3

I am looking for an app that fits iPhone/Ipad.
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:34   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hey Udiu,
Try “anchor watch”.
Cheers
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:56   #5

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

There are a lot of them... Pick one with the features you like.

The features I find most helpful are a map of my boat’s position in relation to the anchor which gives me a visual guide to my position and movement, and the ability to set the location of the anchor AFTER I am settled in the anchorage.

It is common in the rush of things happening when the anchor goes down I forget to press the “anchor here” button
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

The best one I have found so far is "Anchor Pro." It is the paid version of an app simply called "Anchor." It only costs a few bucks and if you have access to the internet on multiple devices it can even send a text to you if you leave an Android device running the app behind on your boat when you leave.

It has multiple varried methods of setting and moving the anchor location after the moment of actually dropping it. We have found that it is pretty easy to identify the spot we dropped and started reeling out chain by looking at the track on our plotter. Anchor Pro lets you input the GPS coordinates of the exact location you have identified and marked on your plotter. We also always write this coordinate in the log book for future use and as a permanent record.

It also has a map feature which is very handy to tell at a glance your position relative to the anchor, you can even set up complex shapes if you have multiple anchors or are anchoring in strong reversing currents and worried more about being close to the banks of a narrow creek at slack.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 18:43   #7

Hi!
Thanks. ��
Old 11-06-2020, 19:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
There are a lot of them... Pick one with the features you like.

The features I find most helpful are a map of my boat’s position in relation to the anchor which gives me a visual guide to my position and movement, and the ability to set the location of the anchor AFTER I am settled in the anchorage.

It is common in the rush of things happening when the anchor goes down I forget to press the “anchor here” button
Hi!
Thanks a lot.
Old 11-06-2020, 19:11   #9

Hi!
Thanks very much.
Old 11-06-2020, 23:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
The best one I have found so far is "Anchor Pro." It is the paid version of an app simply called "Anchor." It only costs a few bucks and if you have access to the internet on multiple devices it can even send a text to you if you leave an Android device running the app behind on your boat when you leave.

It has multiple varried methods of setting and moving the anchor location after the moment of actually dropping it. We have found that it is pretty easy to identify the spot we dropped and started reeling out chain by looking at the track on our plotter. Anchor Pro lets you input the GPS coordinates of the exact location you have identified and marked on your plotter. We also always write this coordinate in the log book for future use and as a permanent record.

It also has a map feature which is very handy to tell at a glance your position relative to the anchor, you can even set up complex shapes if you have multiple anchors or are anchoring in strong reversing currents and worried more about being close to the banks of a narrow creek at slack.
This. Anchor Pro is the best app available IMHO.
Misbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:56   #11
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misbehaving View Post
This. Anchor Pro is the best app available IMHO.

If you can get on the "developers" alpha update version it is even better. There are a few quibbles he still hasn't fixed. One thing that I would absolutely love is different alarm sounds for different issues. Because of the problem with Android trying to turn off GPS in the background constantly, 98% of the time when it goes off it is because of loss of GPS signal or very low accuracy on power-save mode which awful Google will absolutely not let you completely turn off or deactivate. Android 10 is even worse IMHO. The other times it is usually because of low phone battery if I forgot to plug it in. And I go below the threshold of 10% battery left.

We have never actually dragged so I wish that would be a different alarm so if I ever actually did hear that I would know it was really a big deal and not just the GPS signal lost.

The other thing is I wish the default custom GPS coordinate input format would be DDD MM.MMMM as I don't know of anyone using DDD.DDDDDD except Google Maps. USCG, the US military, most European maritime agencies, and just about every chartolotter uses DDD MM.MMMM by default, so having to pull down the drop-doen menu and change input format EVERY SINGLE time you set the anchor gets old.

But those are just quibbles from someone who actually uses the app just about every day.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor