Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2021, 09:14   #31

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Anchor alarm apps - a comprehensive survey

The chart is very useful. I'm going to try a different app now. Thanks Mathias
GoAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 09:49   #32

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

SailGrib Anchor Alarm Free: I'm running it on old Samsung cheap phone, Android 8.8.1. No false alarms in an 8 hour test outside. Alarms reliably when a few feet outside the location limit, even when running in background with the screen off. Alarm silences when returning to inside the location limit. Alarm is not super loud but is attention getting. When shut down, does not continue to sound alarm (some apps actually did that).

Adjustable anchor position by dragging icon to known anchor bearing and distance. Track with time is shown, has erase function for all but last 30 minutes. Full zoom and pan. Background chart options: whole world (if you have internet connection) or Navionics.

Premium version available - I didn't get it as this one has all I need.
Old 27-07-2021, 10:00   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Neel 51, Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
SailGrib Anchor Alarm Free: I'm running it on old Samsung cheap phone, Android 8.8.1. No false alarms in an 8 hour test outside. Alarms reliably when a few feet outside the location limit, even when running in background with the screen off. Alarm silences when returning to inside the location limit. Alarm is not super loud but is attention getting. When shut down, does not continue to sound alarm (some apps actually did that).

Adjustable anchor position by dragging icon to known anchor bearing and distance. Track with time is shown, has erase function for all but last 30 minutes. Full zoom and pan. Background chart options: whole world (if you have internet connection) or Navionics.

Premium version available - I didn't get it as this one has all I need.
Aha! Thanks for sharing! I had not realised how the anchor bearing and distance worked for this app. But now I understand it. I need to update my chart, again

Cheers

Mathias
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 10:35   #34

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi Mathius,

Could not find OpenCPN on your apps listing but I've been using it on a tablet version for years. Just place a waypoint and assign it ANCHOR WATCH and stick the tablet back on the shelf beside my bunk. Works well for me.
Old 27-07-2021, 10:49   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi Mathius,

Could not find OpenCPN on your apps listing but I've been using it on a tablet version for years. Just place a waypoint and assign it ANCHOR WATCH and stick the tablet back on the shelf beside my bunk. Works well for me.
Hi Raymond, I had thought OpenCPN is PC only. Will check it out. Thanks for this information!

Cheers, Mathias
Old 27-07-2021, 11:31   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi Mathius,

Hmmm, this Android App has seen its last update in 2015. It started alright on my phone but upon restarting the screen was messed up as if the carriage return / line feed counting was out of sync...

If I saw it correctly, it does not have an anchor alarm functionality as such, but you are "abusing" a waypoint for this. Correct?

Cheers, Mathias
Old 28-07-2021, 10:33   #37
Marine Service Provider

Waterman46 pointed out that the SailGrib anchor alarm for Android actually can use anchor bearing and distance for defining the allowed perimeter. With this it becomes a strong contender, also given that it is free.. So, yet another update uploaded...

Thanks for all the feedback received!

Cheers, Mathias

https://trimaran-san.de/anchor-alarm-apps-overview/
Old 30-07-2021, 07:40   #38

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

We use Anchor Pro which was a replacement for Drag Queen that was developed by the developer of Active Captain.

When an anchor watch is developed it must take into consideration the position of the boat relative to its GPS location. Providing for all the swing and movement both forward and backward that occurs during a night on the hook.

From what the Drag Queen developer said at the time of his app, there was a lot of math, geometry and algebra involved.

Anchor Pro works well for us.

BTW, don't forget to include the anchoring watch that is part of a chartplotter. Our Garmin 8616xsv has an anchor watch which we use at times also.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 07:52   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
We use Anchor Pro which was a replacement for Drag Queen that was developed by the developer of Active Captain.

Anchor Pro works well for us.

BTW, don't forget to include the anchoring watch that is part of a chartplotter. Our Garmin 8616xsv has an anchor watch which we use at times also.
Thanks for sharing this interesting detail of history on Drag Queen. I had been wondering what had happened to it.

Anchor Pro in the basic variant does not track the vessel's history and this is a huge minus for me. It does so in the premium version, which costs a one-time fee on Android, but an annual fee on iOS. Personally, I find annual fees a bit too heavy.

But as far as Android goes, Anchor Pro premium seems like a very good product indeed.

Cheers, Mathias
Old 30-07-2021, 08:53   #40

We have always liked Drag Queen.

But, just try this with your chartplotter on track record.

Zoom in and record your track while tied to a FIXED doc and watch just how much you 'move'.

That's the inherent vicissitudes of the GPS system.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 08:57   #41

Boat: 35' sloop

Got me wondering, would that work with a sea anchor or when hove to?
Say half the distance to a lee shore?
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 09:06   #42

Boat: Camano Troll

A GPS typically is accurate to about ten feet. Considering the surface area of the earth, that is pretty remarkable.

I don't believe an error of ten feet would be significant in an anchor drag situation.

Unless you can set the anchor drag alarm from the bow as you're dropping the anchor and unless your GPS antenna remains at the bow, there will be a lot of "error" in the application. Fortunately, extreme accuracy is not typically needed in this case. If you are actually dragging as opposed to shifting with the wind or current, you are going to move a considerable distance.
Old 30-07-2021, 09:09   #43

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

The alarms on my old Garmin 128 and the new 93SV have been flawless, no false alarms and performed perfectly every time they're tested. They have external antennas with a clear view of the sky.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 09:23   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonali99 View Post
Got me wondering, would that work with a sea anchor or when hove to?
Say half the distance to a lee shore?
I have used anchor alarms in the past when there was absolutely no wind for hours and we were simply drifting with the current. I set it to a largish value, just so that I get notified should we get too close to shore...
Old 30-07-2021, 09:47   #45

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44

Hi Wayne, I have a Garmin chart plotter in the saloon, but cannot get the alarm loud enough to wake me in the cabin, so have to resort to an app next to the bed!
NSfooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor, survey