Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2011, 04:16   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do

Nick, or anyone, opinion on this please

It doesn't say 8 plait but does call it anchor/mooring line, I assumed double braid, but take into account its 22mm size and it may be 8 plait.
If nylon or polyester, looks okay for mooring lines. Select 8 plait for anchor rodes (this isn't).

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 04:59   #17

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Anchor and Mooring Ropes: What Are You Using ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If nylon or polyester, looks okay for mooring lines. Select 8 plait for anchor rodes (this isn't).

ciao!
Nick.
Well, considering the price of 8 plait here, I wont be getting it
Especially as it is for a rarely used stern anchor as stated.

Maxwell Nylon Rope 8 Plait: 16mm (SP3169)
Online Price: $12.00/m
Maxwell Nylon Rope 8 Plait: 16mm (SP3169) our price per metre $12.00 Australia's Best Price on Maxwell Nylon Rope 8 Plait: 16mm
Old 23-11-2011, 05:07   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Find the Yale Cordage agent there....

cheers,
Nick.

Old 23-11-2011, 06:24   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Looking at buying a full coil to do both jobs
Primary anchor gear is all chain but stern anchor will be rope and want something easy on the hands.
Given all you have said, I would be tempted to get a spool of some of the "good buys on Name Branded double braid" (I presume it is polyester?).

The stern anchor will not (normally) have the sort of shock loading and need for elasticity that the bow anchor has (and Dacron does have some stretch in long anchor rode like lengths), so handling and abrasion resistance is the key there and double braid is pretty decent at both.

For the primary dock lines and mooring lines I personally rate abrasion resistance more important than elasticity. And 'throwabily' as the second most importance factor for the dock lines (if you are taking them with you rather than just leaving them fixed on your slip). I can throw almost anything but my wife (and guests) need an easy to throw line. The 8-plait is great for that, but double braid is pretty decent. And it is worthwhile being careful not to go overboard on size as bigger (than about 16mm) is heavier to hold and hard to throw.

Over time double braid can get stiffer (with salt and dirt) while 8 plait stays flexible, but if you clean them once a year in a machine washer the double braid will stay nice.

On Hawk when we launched, I bought a bunch of spools of 3/4" nylon double braid and use that for most anchor/docking/mooring, except (a) I have since picked up 3 pieces of 5/8" 8-plait (on sale as off-cuts in a chandlery we were walking by) as our 'throwable' dock lines because Beth finds it much easier (And I stress less about whether she will make the throw) than the 3/4" DB, and (2) we use polypro for long shore lines because it floats and is thus much easier to get ashore and back than sinking line, and (3) as noted by someone above, we use 11mm dynamic climbing line for our snubber.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 12:11   #20

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Nick, or anyone, opinion on this please

It doesn't say 8 plait but does call it anchor/mooring line, I assumed double braid, but take into account its 22mm size and it may be 8 plait.
Looks like 12-plait (single braid, no core). I saw something like that the other day (except it was black, not blue). It was polyester, described as mooring line, obviously easy to splice loops in it.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 13:31   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Looks like 12-plait (single braid, no core). I saw something like that the other day (except it was black, not blue). It was polyester, described as mooring line, obviously easy to splice loops in it.

Alain
It looks like hollow braid 12 (or more) plait polypropylene to me...

If it's nylon or polyester then it's great for dock lines and I guess also for stern anchor. But I wouldn't know how to splice 12-plait, not on a chain and not even in a loop...

ciao!
Nick.
Old 23-11-2011, 13:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post

Alain
Found it, looking for 12 plait

Quote:
Maxi-yacht mooring lines

Maxidock is a very performing double braid that features a strong polyamide core and an attractive polyester cover, which can be produced in a wide range of colours. The combination of these two materials permits to obtain a unique dockline, which is able to the join the strength and the great elasticity that are typical of polyamide double braids to the superior handling comfort of polyester, which remains very soft and flexible even after prolonged use. Available in a wide range of sizes up to 40mm diameter, it can be produced in custom colours too, making it a premium choice for Maxi Yachts.

Super 12 is a very particular mooring line which takes benefit of all the rope making experience of Gottifredi Maffioli. The 12-strand single braid construction makes this high tenacity polyamide line able to easily absorb even the greatest mechanical shocks, but also makes it extremely easy to handle and to splice. You will be really surprised by its incredible softness and you will be pleased with its favourable strength to weight ratio. Available in solid white or in solid navy and in a variety of sizes, it is a convenient choice both for anchor lines and dock lines.
22mm will be getting out there in size, but it'll be nice on the hands.
Old 23-11-2011, 13:52   #23

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage

Quote:
Looking at the defender marine catalogues, size for size 3 strand vs 8plait has the 8 plait cheaper
3/4 3 strand $1.62
3/4 8 plait $1.49
On those prices I would go the 8 plait every day of the week.

Unfortunately in Australia its more like a 100% difference in price, 8 plait being the most expensive, which is why I asked about the double braid.

I can get Italian made DB for quite a bit less than 3 strand nylon

I also feel that 3 strand nylon is probably not ideal as mooring rope, dont ask me why as I have never used it as such before.
G'day,

I'm also here (OZ) and was looking for New England Ropes Mega Braid as well - and prices here are just STUPID.

I ended up ordering 100m from West Marine in the US. Best service ever. I cannot imagine anything like that here. It ended up cheaper including shipping than the best price here.

Get this though - the first spool they sent me was incorrect (mixup in the warehouse) and it was 78m, and they apologized and sent me another 100m and didn't ask me to pay for product, shipping, or even to send the original back. AMAZING!!! Imagine something like that here! No way.

Email the special orders department at WM, order a few other things and shipping goes down quite a lot and they do bulk discounts (so you'll get a much better price for your 100m than the website - esp if you're ordering other things).

The other thing is that WM ships stuff in stock immediately and ships the other stuff as they come in, so even if the order total is over $1000, it comes in bits, so you don't get shafted by customs.

Oh, and three strand sucks. At least the stuff I bought from Whitworths anyway. Behaves very badly, and a slight twist in the wrong direction unlays it and you can't make it go back and behave again. :\

Double/mega/8-plait is the way!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 14:00   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The super 12 is a nice line - would be terrific.

By the way, polyamide = nylon in this context.

12 plait is relatively easy to splice - including to chain
Old 23-11-2011, 14:01   #25

One more hint regarding the total unavailability of ANYTHING here:

Try Mauri Pro Sailing - Sailboat Hardware, Sailing Gear and Sailboat Equipment - a great range, and the best thing is that it's FREE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING when you buy over $500 of product.

I've basically done my entire refit using WM and Mauripro.

Mauripro also stocks NER Mega Braid as well - and although their prices for it aren't as good, the free shipping could solve your problem assuming you don't need to buy anything else from WM.

Good luck!
Old 23-11-2011, 14:19   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
The super 12 is a nice line - would be terrific.

By the way, polyamide = nylon in this context.

12 plait is relatively easy to splice - including to chain
Ah yes.. that's basically just an eye splice to the last chain link, like it's also done for 3-strand rope. An 8-plait you can really splice into the chain.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 23-11-2011, 14:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by akio.kanemoto View Post
Try Mauri Pro Sailing - Sailboat Hardware, Sailing Gear and Sailboat Equipment - a great range, and the best thing is that it's FREE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING when you buy over $500 of product.
Doesn't matter on weight?

I couldn't even get its freight calculator to work when trying to price up a pile of portlights
Old 23-11-2011, 14:24   #28

Quote:
An 8-plait you can really splice into the chain.

ciao!
Nick.
But if its not going through a windlass what does it matter?
Old 23-11-2011, 14:31   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ah yes.. that's basically just an eye splice to the last chain link, like it's also done for 3-strand rope. An 8-plait you can really splice into the chain.

ciao!
Nick.
You can do that splice also with 12 plait, just divide the strands into 4 groups of 3 strands each, and then weave up the chain.

But the windless manufacturers all strongly recommend the 'normal' splice to the last link over that splice (which I have seen called the 'shovel' or 'up the chain' splice). GMac also agrees and he has vast experience in this.
Old 23-11-2011, 14:32   #30

Quote:
Doesn't matter on weight?

I couldn't even get its freight calculator to work when trying to price up a pile of portlights
I've never even thought of that... I've had boxes and boxes so far weighing quite a bit with no problems.

Tags
anchor, mooring