Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 05:06   #16
cruiser

Re: Anchor Angels

Andrew, let me state it this way. The people I see frequently using Kellets are doing so in an attempt to beef up their way lacking ground tackle. People with 3/8 " rode, 10' of 1/4" chain and a 15 or 20lb anchor. It's the people with total junk gear out on their bows in a blow sliding a kellet out to save their asses . It these unskilled marina hoppers who get caught out in a blow that run to the kellet.
Why is it I never see seasoned cruisers messing with Kellets in 35kts wind? Cause they have good gear and know it's a waste of time.
Sure maybe some super skilled cruisers use them to limit swing, but I've never seen it. Experience has shown repeatedly that it's the marina hoppers/newbies/oddballs last ditch effort to pull something out of his ass to eliminate dragging in high winds.
I bet it works great to eliminate swing radius, but I don't ever see it used that way. People just space out more, I want my damn privacy anyway.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:09   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
The "general rule" of 1lb of anchor weight per foot of boat is very conservative. I would bet many cruisers including myself have more like almost 2lbs per foot of boat. I have a 32' with a 66# anchor and it's something I never worry about. Windlasses are what probably divide the camps. If you pull it by hand a 35# would be acceptable, if it's being powered up really no reason not to move up to a 55#. Using all chain rode nearly eliminates the advantages of the kellet. Laying out 75' of chain weighs more than any kellet would.
Wow. That's a little bit overkill, but I like it! I can imagine it feels great to essentially have a portable mooring.

I find the chain to be the most important part.

Maybe kellets/angels/sentinels were made with all rope rodes in mind??
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:07   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44

The Kellet is useful if you find you are using multiple anchors. They help keep the rhode stuck to the bottom. I do this in named storms. Secondary anchor is run out and the Kellett is used to set it on the bottom. Keeps the currents from pushing it all over the place. Situation specific use. Otherwise it just fouls up normal anchoring. I found it added little benefit in anything but specific high wind situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:07   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Here is the thing about kellets... The math, and experience, shows that they add to holding power best when attached as close to the anchor as possible. But at best they add a small multiple (1-2) of their weight from increased pull angle. However increased anchor size increases ultimate holding power by orders of magnitude.

Anchor testing over and over has shown that every extra pound of weight in the anchor increases holding power by 50-100 times the weight added.

In addition a larger anchor is easier to store, deploy, and once you assume the cost of buying a new anchor, the additional cost of getting a bad weather anchor vs a day sailor anchor really isn't that much.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 16:35   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Here is the thing about kellets... The math, and experience, shows that they add to holding power best when attached as close to the anchor as possible. But at best they add a small multiple (1-2) of their weight from increased pull angle. However increased anchor size increases ultimate holding power by orders of magnitude.
Hey Greg,

When you start out by invoking "math", and then say that increasing anchor size "increases ultimate holding power by ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE" I gotta cringe! "Orders", being plural, means at least two, and two orders of magnitude is a factor of 100. It takes a hell of a lot bigger anchor to do that!

But that is only friendly nit-picking... I agree with your general proposal and don't really support the use of kellets (killicks, angels, anchor buddies etc).

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-04-2014, 17:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
My only caveat ...would be to caution against their use in shallow water: they don't serve a useful purpose ....
I wrote thoughtlessly: there *are* narrow circumstances where the use of a single kellet can make sense in shallow water.

One is in a shallow draft boat anchored in a very shallow situation (suggesting a low tidal range, or a lake) in light variable winds.

Even with the chain lifted slightly off the roller by a halyard or a bungy to the pulpit, it can be noisy for sleeping. There will be plenty of scope out because the wind might increase (and very shallow anchorages can, contrary to intuition, be challenging to get an anchor to hold in).

In this situation it can be a good idea to attach a heavy weight (like a ballast pig or a kellet) to the chain at the place where it FIRST touches the bottom, near the bow of the boat. This will help limit the boat's inclination to meander about like a lazy dog, on a heavy chain, mapping smells on a sultry afternoon.

It's tempting to use a spare anchor in this kellet role, (and in fact it's traditional on ships to lower a second anchor under the forefoot on its own chain) but beware of the boat settling onto it as the tide goes out. The expression "hoist with your own petard" comes to mind...

An allied problem in such anchoring locations arises when there's a current eddy which causes the boat to ride forwards, sometimes past the anchor, with the chain running back along the hull. The noise here can be quite disturbing, and it doesn't take a perceptible current, if the wind is light enough.

Here's a situation where a stern anchor can be invaluable, sleep being a precious resource. But it's always a worry about pinning the boat down should the wind strengthen from the beam later on.

So this is one situation where it's good to have an anchor which *doesn't* hold particularly well: a small fisherman or CQR, perhaps. And/or to set it it on an unusually short scope. This way, the main anchor won't risk being unset.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 05:17   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

One place where I really do not want to see anybody using kellets/angels is the harbour where the boats are Med moored.
Rarely, but some skippers (mainly with combined rode) use them.
If the rodes became crossed - and this is day to day fact in such a harbours - the kellet and it's line are real PITA for untangling...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor