Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 05:32   #16

Boat: Allures 44
G40 has the requisite strength, so if you really want to sleep better then upsize your anchor by 5 Kg. You'll get better short scope capability for benign conditions, more holding power for harsh conditions, and considerably less weight on your bow than if you use 3/8" chain.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:02   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjpinz View Post
My primary anchor is a Manson Supreme 45. And the chain I am thinking of buying would be 3/8 G40.
Bob
I'm also using the Manson Supreme 45 but with the 3/8 BBB. I like the shorter chain link and while the strength is less I still think it's more than sufficient for my boat a 37 foot Tayanna. It's interesting that some of the so called anchor experts seem to bash anything that they aren't selling by uttering half truths and using junk science conviently mixed in with real science to justify their position.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:05   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Interesting points. We chose 5/16" HT chain to save the weight, and it has done a good job on a 45' 30,000 pound boat.

My ACCO chain is at the regalvanizers now after 2 seasons, because they did a crappy job of galvanizing it the first time. I bought new chain after regalvanizing the old twice, but knowing now that ACCO's HT means high test and not high tensile, I would have probably regalvanized again (or bought someone else's chain).

Heavier chain does reduce a boat's wandering and sailing at anchor a bit in light to moderate conditions, but it isn't going to do anything when the wind gets up over 30 knots. You need a snubber in moderate conditions and above, both to reduce the shock loading on the anchor and also to keep the chain or boat from breaking if the chain hooks around coral and shortens the scope.

Having almost lost a boat due to chafe on rocks, I would strongly recommend all chain with a 10 meter snubber over partial chain with nylon rode. Actually, you could probably get by with 200 ft of chain and nylon after that, but why bother having to worry about the splice and the ability of the gypsy to bring in the weight of the anchor and 200 ft of chain when pulling on nylon.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:48   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
It's interesting that some of the so called anchor experts seem to bash anything that they aren't selling by uttering half truths and using junk science conviently mixed in with real science to justify their position.
If that oblique reference was aimed at me, perhaps you could outline your beliefs a little better in order they may be critiqued rather than resorting to outright slander without so much as an informative opinion of your own to contribute. I only state the facts to my knowledge, which unfortunately around here often involves contradicting a lot of widespread misconceptions and p*ing off a few "gurus" and forum mods who would apparently prefer their world view remain unchallenged. If you hadn't noticed, I don't sell chain, rope, or wishful thinking, and apart from the anchor have no real interest in what you use, with the trite exception of when you're anchored upwind of me.

If on the other hand you were referring to Evan's referenced chain sales pitches, then I would tend to agree, so carry on.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Craigey Poo, a bit grumpy this morning!!! Most of the time we anchored 24/7/365 for nearly two years, the 3/8" chain never pulled on the anchor. The chain sat in a jumble on the bottom. The 45# CQR was really superfluous.
My experience has been different. Despite rathe oversized 13mm chain it will lay out on the bottom straight at windspeeds of arround 20 to 25K. At 30 to 35k the anchor will bury more than it will when set with the engine alone.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:52   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
A bad choice of words, should have said the chain seldom pulled on the anchor. Anchoring in 20k winds is not a pleasant experience that I'd actively seek or tolerate.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 16:21   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
If that oblique reference was aimed at me, perhaps you could outline your beliefs a little better in order they may be critiqued rather than resorting to outright slander without so much as an informative opinion of your own to contribute. I only state the facts to my knowledge, which unfortunately around here often involves contradicting a lot of widespread misconceptions and p*ing off a few "gurus" and forum mods who would apparently prefer their world view remain unchallenged. If you hadn't noticed, I don't sell chain, rope, or wishful thinking, and apart from the anchor have no real interest in what you use, with the trite exception of when you're anchored upwind of me.

If on the other hand you were referring to Evan's referenced chain sales pitches, then I would tend to agree, so carry on.
With the pugnacious attitude that you have shown on this thread I wouldn't buy a newspaper from you much less an anchor.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 16:42   #23
CLOD

Boat: none
I love the sport of these threads. Guess before I started sailing a few years ago I never would have imagined the passion people have in anchors..................But now after reading these threads for years, well I still am amazed.

Of course now I read them just for the entertainment, which is sad considering the topic!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
A bad choice of words, should have said the chain seldom pulled on the anchor. Anchoring in 20k winds is not a pleasant experience that I'd actively seek or tolerate.
That certainly explains the differences in our experiences. Under 20k and almost any anchor and rode will do. As you point out there will be no or very little force on the anchor in these conditions and any discussion on anchor or rode choice is superfluous.

Quote:
Most of the time we anchored 24/7/365 for nearly two years, .
Not sure how you managed that if you don’t tolerate 20K
Its not been under 20K here for a week. If you want to avoid over 20K here you would be in a marina most of the time.
Anchoring in 20k is perfectly comfortable and will not cause any problems. Even poorly anchored boats rarely drag at this wind strength.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor