Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 14:27   #46

Re: Anchor / Chain / Boat sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
I was talking a few weeks ago with a Brit who used to manage what he told was the last chain manufacturer in Britain - apparently all the machinery was sold off to China. He alleged that there were no chain manufacturers left in Britain and only a few left in Europe. Disheartening to say the least. Trying to get two anchors regalvanised presently ..... proving harder than expected.

Ooohhhh this is bad news.

The nice thing with galvanising, is its condition tells you when to regalvanise.

Just did a search for a Company in the UK, and these people look very good:

Regalvanising chain

Given what looks to be the poor quality of new galvanised chain, if I have to buy some in America that the galvanising doesn't look up to the job, before I head back, I think I'll get the chain properly galvanised when I return, before it degrades.

In fact if getting new chain anywhere, I think I'd find a regalvanising outfit and have it properly done, before even fitting it. (it would rapidly pay for itself).

Why are Companies buying this rubbish to sell on in the first place? This isn't a 'manufacturing' problem, this is a 'buyer' problem, with goods being made down to a demanded price (I have seen this in action all too often, as a former importer/exporter, and the sorry excuse for 'merchantable goods' demanded by buyers, was downright criminal - and yes, I do mean criminal, even to the point of faking Standards Certificates for products, with material substitutions submitted for testing).

eta: In fact it was so bad, I even developed my own testing regime, far stricter than official tests for the products I was buying, that would provide me with necessary results within 12 hours (so I could obtain samples and test overnight, and know the following morning if it was worth dealing with the seller).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 16:38   #47

Just be careful with your chain selection as 5/16" BBB chain requires a different chain wheel than 5/16" G4 High test chain. Best to take your chain wheel with you when selecting your chain to make sure it will fit before purchasing.
jpp280380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 23:15   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Thanks Ribbit,
Right now we are in Tanzania on a friends boat and we are getting two of his anchors regalvanised as well as 80m of 10mm chain - had to sail down from Kenya to get the two anchors regalvanised.
We leave next month for the Red Sea in company with another boat - we'll be bound for Cyprus.
Happy New Year to all............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Ooohhhh this is bad news.

The nice thing with galvanising, is its condition tells you when to regalvanise.

Just did a search for a Company in the UK, and these people look very good:

Regalvanising chain

Given what looks to be the poor quality of new galvanised chain, if I have to buy some in America that the galvanising doesn't look up to the job, before I head back, I think I'll get the chain properly galvanised when I return, before it degrades.

In fact if getting new chain anywhere, I think I'd find a regalvanising outfit and have it properly done, before even fitting it. (it would rapidly pay for itself).

Why are Companies buying this rubbish to sell on in the first place? This isn't a 'manufacturing' problem, this is a 'buyer' problem, with goods being made down to a demanded price (I have seen this in action all too often, as a former importer/exporter, and the sorry excuse for 'merchantable goods' demanded by buyers, was downright criminal - and yes, I do mean criminal, even to the point of faking Standards Certificates for products, with material substitutions submitted for testing).

eta: In fact it was so bad, I even developed my own testing regime, far stricter than official tests for the products I was buying, that would provide me with necessary results within 12 hours (so I could obtain samples and test overnight, and know the following morning if it was worth dealing with the seller).
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 00:12   #49

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I've translated into a bit of varnish and boatspeak today and the boat thanks you. Praise is always readily soaked up by the vessel

If I ever have kids a larger vancouver will be the top of the list.
Well I agree. Vancouvers are excellent sea boats.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor