Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 16:19   #91

Re: Anchor DIY

The reason why rocna do not set so good in big grass is that rocna have only 30% weight on top of the fluke.

That means, that if you have 20kg rocna you will have on the top of the fluke 6kg.

If you have 20kg mantus you will have on the top of the fluke 10kg because mantus have 50% of total weight on the top of the fluke.

I have made open code project for anchor that have 60% of all weight on top of the fluke. Thats mean if have 20kg Manork you will have 12kg on the top of the fluke.
And no weight on the top of the shank

Bonaparte-eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 16:20   #92

On the photo is 10kg rocna and you can see that top of the fluke weight 3kg.

Old 08-01-2019, 16:20   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaparte-eu View Post
What name you sugest?

Mad Max!

I like it, I hope it performs well.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 16:29   #94

on the photo is 6kg Mantus and on the top of the fluke have 2,9kg and on the top of the shank 0,2 kg

Old 08-01-2019, 16:32   #95

Ultra anchor ring vs my ring. Meanwhile wen you do not need the ring for anchor you can lock outboard for byboat with it.

Old 08-01-2019, 16:37   #96

the big diference why rocna set in hard mud and Mantus do not set is the top of the fluke. Mantus have straight plate. Rocna have bendet on 142°.
Manork 2.0 will have bended top and brushed in same direction like rocna.

Old 08-01-2019, 17:37   #97

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaparte-eu View Post
It is funny reading about copyrights because I am shure that 50% of people on this forum is writing on pirate cracked version of windows

Why would anybody do that? To save money? When they could simply install Ubuntu and not only have a free OS, but also a better one? Nobody bothers to pirate winDOHs any more. That went out with XP, IMHO the last decent OS that MicroSlop released. And even THAT wasn't as secure or as flexible and powerful as Ubuntu or any other popular Linux. And when you pirate secret source software, you don't have a clue what you are getting, any more than you know what you are getting when you buy a legit copy and license of loserware.

Pirating an anchor design is maybe a little more practical. However the final result will still depend heavily on material quality and workmanship. The average backyard welder DIYer can make something that looks and assembles exactly like a Mantus or Rocna or whatever, if he puts enough thought, time, effort and craftsmanship into it. Will it be as strong and durable as the real item? Likely not, though it may very well be "good enough" for most users in most situations.

It is those extraordinary situations where the genuine article might prove its worth. And the DIY copy fail. (or be built a couple sizes bigger.)
Old 08-01-2019, 19:02   #98

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Why would anybody do that? To save money? When they could simply install Ubuntu and not only have a free OS, but also a better one? Nobody bothers to pirate winDOHs any more. That went out with XP, IMHO the last decent OS that MicroSlop released. And even THAT wasn't as secure or as flexible and powerful as Ubuntu or any other popular Linux. And when you pirate secret source software, you don't have a clue what you are getting, any more than you know what you are getting when you buy a legit copy and license of loserware.

Rubbish.
Plenty of people use pirated win7 and office.
I've even been in countries travelling where every PC I have used in every hotel, bar and cafe has had pirated windows and office.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:28   #99

I think that people is inaf smart that do not weld by yourself if they are not good welder.

I am good welder but I did not weld my 30kg anchor by myself.

I have paid for laser cut iron plate.25$
I have paid for galvanising my anchor 30$
And I have paid profesional certified welder to weld my anchor together. 15$
Old 09-01-2019, 02:33   #100

Bonaparte, I have some time to spare so I thought I´d help you a little bit with a quick and dirty non-comprehensive freedom to operate search.

If you go to Espacenet "https://worldwide.espacenet.com/advancedSearch?locale=en_EP" and enter: in the field publication number= B or B1 or B2 or B3 or B9; in the field publication date=1997:2019; and in the field CPC= B63B21/32 and press search.
For a direct link to the search strategy: "https://worldwide.espacenet.com/searchResults?submitted=true&locale=en_EP&DB=EPODO C&ST=advanced&TI=&AB=&PN=B+or+B1+or+B2+or+B3+or+B9 &AP=&PR=&PD=1997%3A2019&PA=&IN=&CPC=b63b21%2F32&IC =&Submit=Search"

This search strategy will give you a list of 25 patents on rigid single fluke anchors (CPC=B63B21/32) that were granted (B-publications) between 1997 and 2019.
The results include some well known anchor designs such as: the bubble, the spade, the vulcan, the Bruce, the excel, the rocna with wing roll bar, etc. Of these 25 some are no longer valid (lapsed), some are only valid in the US or FR or NZ, some are only valid in GB. None appear to be valid in Slovenia.

Draw your own conclusions from this non-solicited help.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:57   #101

Thank you.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:00   #102

If there can be 25 patents on rigid single fluke thats mean that is inaf small change in design inaf to have new patent.

I do not want to patent my anchor.

I want that is free open code project.
Like android.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:36   #103

Bonaparte, the question here is not if you want to patent your design, but if you can disclose and actually use it freely without infringing anybody elses patents. For this you need to know which patents are currently valid in the country in which you want to operate. This is especially so since you are discussing and disclosing this on the world wide internet, not just in Slovenia.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:03   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Bonaparte, the question here is not if you want to patent your design, but if you can disclose and actually use it freely without infringing anybody elses patents. For this you need to know which patents are currently valid in the country in which you want to operate. This is especially so since you are discussing and disclosing this on the world wide internet, not just in Slovenia.
Wouldn’t the onus be on the patent holder to determine if there is a violation of the patent and then take legal action to recover financial damages?
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:50   #105

Boat: no boat any more

"...And please anchor downwind of my boat...."

& of me too, pls!

(idiocy or hubris, I'm still deliberating...)

Tags
anchor, DIY, Homemade, Mantus